Front end squeek

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

epr 2x10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 24 valve
how's it going guys? I'm new to the forum so bear with me. I have a 2000 3500 dually with the 5.9. I have recently aquired this insanly annoying front end squeek. I have done a little bit of research and have found that Dodges dont have the best reputation for front end/ suspension. I was curious is anyone has had this probelm and could guide in the direction of where to begin? I have check the ball joints, they are aftermarket and are fine and greased. I was told it could possibly be the control arm bushings? If thats the case that should be a fun job to tackle. The squeek happens whenever you hit any type of bump big or small and it is driving me crazy!!! Thanks guys
Chris

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds like either the shocks, control arm bushings or ball joints...how did you check your ball joints?

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
Welcome to RF!

First of all you bought a 12 year old truck. If was used for anything but grandmas going to church on Sunday, it's probably in need of some maintenance. I know I sure squeak and groan when I move about at 56 compared to when I was 21. :)

Anyways if anything rubber is original to the truck, it probably is cracked and worn and squeaky. A temp fix might be to spray everything down well with pentrating lubricant and start form there.

You said the ball joints are aftermarket, how 'bout your shocks? Control arm bushings are probably dry. So are the sway bar bushings and maybe the links. OORRRRRRR...they've been replaced....by urethane units. Sadly urethane bushings can be quite noisy. Again, try some spray lube and see where the squeak is.

As far as suspension issues, the only thing I'm aware of on 2nd gens is the track bar. Overall the parallel 4 link is far superior to Furds twin i beam for towing, chivys IFS for off roading, and any old school leaf sprung front suspension for overall ride.

OP
OP
E

epr 2x10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 24 valve
Thanks for the responses. I gotta check out the shocks and spray sraying her dowm with WD. i appreciate it!
Chris

loki223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Thanks for the responses. I gotta check out the shocks and spray sraying her dowm with WD. i appreciate it!
Chris

penetrating oil, not a water displacer. i will give you one guess what the WD stands for...

what you want is something more along the lines of PB blaster in aerosol. or get a oiler and get some good penetrating oil for it. not WD, use WD to prevent rust on bare metal for short period of exposure, beyond that the stuff is useless. compared to PB blaster. 90% of what people use WD for, PB blaster is alot better to use.

OP
OP
E

epr 2x10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 24 valve
Sounds good. I will throw PB on it and go from there. I really appreciate the help
Chris