Front Wheel Bearing Removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
NETim

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Wow, even after you called it a %&*((%$#$#^& and a %^&&%#()&!?
IMHO, that should have done it. My 03 has 350k and I’ve never replaced any front end components, not even the shocks so I’m guessing mine won’t be very willing to come off either. I’ve just about got all the front end parts I need to replace, which is pretty much everything, but I plan on using the opposite approach to yours. Starting today, I will liberally spray all the, non-brake related parts with rust remover and a break free chemical as well as talk nicely to all the parts I want to change. I’m not in a rush to tackle this job so I’ll soften the truck up over the next week before breaking out the tools.
The Lisle tool saved my bacon. They are cheaper elsewhere.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have tried sweet talking to trucks and machinery over the years.
Most of them are deaf I think and you need a damn big hammer to get their attention.
I find if you pull the torch up , that they will get the hint and be nice, but with fords, just get a bigger hammer.

Heath20242500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have tried sweet talking to trucks and machinery over the years.
Most of them are deaf I think and you need a damn big hammer to get their attention.
I find if you pull the torch up , that they will get the hint and be nice, but with fords, just get a bigger hammer.
As a mechanic I have bought several tools over the years. I have learned a few tricks also. Next time put a bolt back into the wheel bearing and put a long extension with socket on it and turn the wheel until the extension hits something solid, then apply more pressure when turning steering wheel and this usually starts moving the wheel bearing away from the knuckle. I usually do this on each side if at all possible so the bearing starts to come out evenly and you’re not hurting the knuckle. Then use pry bars to finish removing. Or if you have a slide hammer with the correct wheel stud spacing you can finish removing with that. But normally if the bearing starts to move it comes out simple. Clean the area up and I put a little grease on the bearing or spindle and then reassemble. The grease is a step ahead just in case bearing fails and I have to remove at a later date.

jmc921

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
I tried (key word "tried") to replace the left front bearing assembly since it was rumbling. I took everything apart, soaked with PB Blaster, banged and pried, nothing worked. Finally gave up (after many hours), put everything back together and took to my mechanic. He eneded up having to remove the entire spindle and use a rather large press and it still was tough to get out. Found a bad ball joint in the process as well!

Also, I asked whether the other bearing assembly should be done and his opinion was if it's not making noise, leave it for another time. He told me that usually, front bearing failures are the result of some sort of impact creating a tiny flat spot on the bearing and then, over time, this causes more wear until there is a quite audible rumble (that's what I had).

After he said that, I remembered that a couple of years earlier, I had hit a curb with the left front wheel and even had to have the alignment re-done. That, more than likely was the cause. Also, most of what you see on You Tube is guys who either live in a dry climate with no snow and salt or who pull the bearing first, reassemble and then film the take apart showing how "easy" it is. Thet's the trick that fooled me.

Glad everything seems to have worked out for you.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
...After he said that, I remembered that a couple of years earlier, I had hit a curb with the left front wheel and even had to have the alignment re-done. That, more than likely was the cause.

Good info. That might have been what lead to your tk's ball joint wear/damage too (??).