Gas or Diesel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

65aircooled

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
OP,
At the end is going to be how much truck you can afford or get the right truck for your needs, understanding that it will cost you more than the lower model.
I can see you having buyers remorse if you buy a Hemi HD truck. Reason being is that in one of your posts you say you tow heavy loads anywhere from 50 to 400 miles. To make matters worse, you are considering buying a 30' bumper pull TT. That right there is going to put you in the 9 to 11K pounds. Horse power means nothing when you are towing that kind of weight, and you'll be lucky to see 8 or 6 mpg when towing that with a Hemi. I have been on both sides, and the way the gasser screams and revs vs the diesel is no joke.
Maintanence is NOT what most here say it is.
I own and often pull a 30' TT (10500#) and the way my current TV tows vs my last V8 gasser TV did is night and day. Oil changes in newer Cummins are 10K miles apart, so that takes down the "twice as much" oil change theory. Add a 100K mile motor and tranny warranty and you should not have to worry about expensive diesel engine costs. My 2006 CTD 2500 gave me 175K trouble free miles. I did my own oil changes and fuel filter changes. THATS ALL I EVER DID, maintenance and repair wise.
I paid 32.5 for my 06 CTD new and sold it 7 years later for $21.5 with 175K miles. Try that with a Hemi, just won't happen.
I have exactly what you want, 3500 mega Laramie in white And I LOVE IT!!!
Good luck with the search

TWILLIAMS9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know the HD gas trucks have come a little ways than previous years. I know my truck in particular is rated to tow 15K pounds and has over 3,000 payload.

markyfly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Maybe it's just a loss leader for the oil change so they can get you in to sell you rotor and pad changes you don't need for $500. Or brake fluid flushes for $300 every two years, without actually bothering to check the moisture content of your brake fluid

HAMMER77777

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Maybe it's just a loss leader for the oil change so they can get you in to sell you rotor and pad changes you don't need for $500. Or brake fluid flushes for $300 every two years, without actually bothering to check the moisture content of your brake fluid

Thats a good point. Sort of like some 7-11 Or other convenience stores sell milk, eggs at or below cost, so then u can come in and buy their over-priced shaving foam, toothpaste, or what have u.

OP
OP
F

four_gear

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas
Not yet. Still looking/trying to make up my mind.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
you can get into a 2500 for 10k back of msrp, just got to find a dealer willing to do it, there are two places in idaho, dave smith & dennis dillion, and once place in utah. I know those dealers get you that 10k minimum and what ever else they can. Over previous year's 3/4 ton gasser's this truck is so much better, the gas mileage is pretty good, and so is the power. Ram did a awsome job with the 6.4. Word of advise, get the 18's "Holy **** the 20" tires are expensive" I would of got the diesel, but that 10k would of broke me. What state do you live in?

OP
OP
F

four_gear

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas
I live in a province and that seems to be the problem when it comes to price.

OP
OP
F

four_gear

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas
Ya I could. I just have to look into warranty issues and a few things like that. It will need an inspection and I will have to do some changes so it will pass (I believe that US vehicles are not equipped with daytime running lights) not sure what else there will be.

B-g-K

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I always laugh when I see the DIESEL is more expensive to maintain, this has become the classic comeback/forum reply.

So let's have it shown how a Diesel is more expensive to maintain? I have had a CTD for the last 12 years and besides terrible ball joints you are going to replace on any HD RAM truck I have had 1 issue covered under warranty. Otherwise I change a $60 fuel filter every 5000 miles (oh good lord the maintanence), and I change my oil between 5-7500 miles ( wow that diesel is expensive). Depending on location the cost of fuel vs Diesel, and grade of Gas you must put in your ride can make a difference. So how is it so much more to maintain?!?

Gas doesn't need oil changes? Oh wait that $60 fuel filter breaking the bank? Doesn't that 6.4 need 0wX oil that's not cheap? Oh Walmart carries Rotella for a Diesel and it is cheap, and filters can be purchased in bulk cheap.

So where is this mystery very expensive to maintain myth coming from? Cause I put fuel in mine and drive it.

Just saying gents stop simply throwing up Internet ******** myths and rhetoric.

I will concede the $8000 up charge is way too high, but you will get it back at resale.

I agree, you get more miles between oil changes on a diesel. You're changing yours really early unless you're working it all day. Plus anyone who says that the 6.4 hemi will get comparable mileage to a CTD is full of it. Towing or empty the diesel will get better economy. I happen to think the 6.4 is a hoss and fun, but it won't hold a candle to the diesel on value retention neither. I don't have a dog in this fight neither, I've got a little 1500 ecodiesel lol.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
everyone has their opinion, i paid 39k for my brand new4x4 6.4 mega, only thing it doesn't have is leather/moonroof. All the used 06-newer diesel's i found with 100k or less mileage were between 33k-40k. With the loan apr for "Used" vehicles being so high, "6%Average" and i got 1.9% on my new truck. I basically saved money going new. Where diesels get expensive is once the warranty is up.. those parts are ******* expensive" Fuel injectors" Def parts" The little **** that nickles and dimes you. I tow 4 times a year, my truck sits in my driveway all week, i drive it 3 miles on the weekend,unless we go "out of town" Every one is different and so are their uses for their trucks. My 6.4 gets almost identical mileage to my bosses 6.7 .. we have the same truck,... his is crew long bed/ mine is a mega. Granite he drives his like he stole it, i drive mine modestly.

HAMMER77777

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Ya I could. I just have to look into warranty issues and a few things like that. It will need an inspection and I will have to do some changes so it will pass (I believe that US vehicles are not equipped with daytime running lights) not sure what else there will be.

^ya, i think u need to look into this. You'll save Plenty.

HemiRoar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
what province are you in? I haven't looked at 3500s but the dealer I bought from has a 2014 2500 slt with a ctd, cc long bed..they're selling it for 48k I think. You might need to look around for a good deal..

B-g-K

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Just test drive them both and make your decision. There's arguments on both ends, and each have valid points. The 6.4 is fun to drive, while diesels are nicer to drive in my opinion. You just need try them and decide for yourself.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

The warranty is your problem. If you buy one from the US you will have no warranty whatsoever. People were looking into doing it when the 2014 grand cherokee's came out and decided it wasn't worth it.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I agree, you get more miles between oil changes on a diesel. You're changing yours really early unless you're working it all day. Plus anyone who says that the 6.4 hemi will get comparable mileage to a CTD is full of it. Towing or empty the diesel will get better economy. I happen to think the 6.4 is a hoss and fun, but it won't hold a candle to the diesel on value retention neither. I don't have a dog in this fight neither, I've got a little 1500 ecodiesel lol.

The new gas motors go just as far between oil changes as the diesels do. I would never go the full 10k miles between oil changes on a diesel though. There is way too much blowby on them when they are started that contaminates the oil.

markyfly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I live in a province and that seems to be the problem when it comes to price.
Im in Ontario and Between rebates and discounts through work (Chrysler partner), I got almost 30 percent off my new truck. I also bought it on the last day of the quarter and they were behind in their quota (i guess the harsh winter last year put a damper on sales) so they really wanted to make a deal!