Gas or Diesel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

markyfly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
And last year around the holidays they had NoCharge CTD in the 2500 or 3500s. So maybe wait a couple months and see if they do it again this year

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
And last year around the holidays they had NoCharge CTD in the 2500 or 3500s. So maybe wait a couple months and see if they do it again this year

they did the same here back around spring too. i was going to get one but none of the dealers around here had any without a ton of options, was going to order but sale was about to end and no dealers would guarantee i'd still get that price after delivery which was for sure going to be over by the time it was built

OP
OP
F

four_gear

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas
No charge cummins deal is on now. Still want 82k for a 3500 diesel.

skHemi64

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I got my '14 Tradesman 6.4 Chrome/Convenience Packages for just over $30k. Hindsight I would have gotten a better radio and manual roll-up windows. '13 Diesels loaded were going for $62+.

I went gasser for the first time in 18 years because I have broken 3 diesels, but never a gasser. Diesel repairs are expensive. Sorta weird driving up to a gas station and putting unleaded in a big truck. I really have to put my thinking cap on.

OP
OP
F

four_gear

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas
I got my '14 Tradesman 6.4 Chrome/Convenience Packages for just over $30k. Hindsight I would have gotten a better radio and manual roll-up windows. '13 Diesels loaded were going for $62+.

I went gasser for the first time in 18 years because I have broken 3 diesels, but never a gasser. Diesel repairs are expensive. Sorta weird driving up to a gas station and putting unleaded in a big truck. I really have to put my thinking cap on.

Where did you buy yours?

cheeseball

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In the middle of a trip towing my 11k toy hauler with my new 2500 6.4 and this thing does not disappoint! Driving from AZ to CA I can go any speed I want! Coming from a 13 Cummins I can honestly say I don't miss it at all! My last tank I got 9.1 mpgs on the flats going 60mph! My 13 Cummins got in the 9's all the time. 6.4 is a beast! It's a great torque engine. It tows better than my 8.1L Vortec did with 100 cid less!

Buying the 6.4 is just plain smart! Economically a very smart decision! People who tow 15k all of the time may need a Diesel. This 6.4 is gonna be very popular once people realize how well they can tow!

TWILLIAMS9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In the middle of a trip towing my 11k toy hauler with my new 2500 6.4 and this thing does not disappoint! Driving from AZ to CA I can go any speed I want! Coming from a 13 Cummins I can honestly say I don't miss it at all! My last tank I got 9.1 mpgs on the flats going 60mph! My 13 Cummins got in the 9's all the time. 6.4 is a beast! It's a great torque engine. It tows better than my 8.1L Vortec did with 100 cid less!

Buying the 6.4 is just plain smart! Economically a very smart decision! People who tow 15k all of the time may need a Diesel. This 6.4 is gonna be very popular once people realize how well they can tow!

You continue took make me glad I got the 6.4

OP
OP
F

four_gear

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas
I went to the dealership yesterday and took a test drive in a 2014 2500 SLT crew with the cummins. Overall I was very happy with the truck. We took it out on the highway and did some city driving with it as well. What shocked me the most was the fuel mileage. 25 mpg?!? according to the trucks computer. How accurate is that? Salesman told me that since dodge went to the def system over the dpf system mileage has gone up substantially. As far as a price point goes they had $55,000 on the truck.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I went to the dealership yesterday and took a test drive in a 2014 2500 SLT crew with the cummins. Overall I was very happy with the truck. We took it out on the highway and did some city driving with it as well. What shocked me the most was the fuel mileage. 25 mpg?!? according to the trucks computer. How accurate is that? Salesman told me that since dodge went to the def system over the dpf system mileage has gone up substantially. As far as a price point goes they had $55,000 on the truck.

The mileage did go up substantially but not that much. One thing I have learned is never trust the evic on a test drive. I think the manufacturers figured out people do that and plan accordingly. My ford fusion displayed 37 mpg's on a 200 mile test drive with the cruise set at 75. The only way I could get that after I bought it was to drive 55. My ram 1500 displayed about 22 on the test drive, the best I ever got with it after I bought it was 17.9. My 2500 showed 17.1 on the test drive and has yet to show that again. The moral of the story is buy the truck if you want it but don't count on that mileage.

TWILLIAMS9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My EVIC was always off aswell. About 2.5 for me

OP
OP
F

four_gear

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas
The mileage did go up substantially but not that much. One thing I have learned is never trust the evic on a test drive. I think the manufacturers figured out people do that and plan accordingly. My ford fusion displayed 37 mpg's on a 200 mile test drive with the cruise set at 75. The only way I could get that after I bought it was to drive 55. My ram 1500 displayed about 22 on the test drive, the best I ever got with it after I bought it was 17.9. My 2500 showed 17.1 on the test drive and has yet to show that again. The moral of the story is buy the truck if you want it but don't count on that mileage.

Ya I'm definitely not going to base my purchase on mileage. If I wanted mileage I would be in a different market. I was just surprised to see that kind of a number. The EVIC on my truck is off as well...... it usually reads around that 10 or 11. I try not to do the math. :suicide:

Big Payment

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just bought a 6.4 dually dump truck for my landscaping business. I weighed the costs of both. Fuel costs here in NH diesel is 60 cents more so the mpg cost is even. Diesel is 8k more up front but like someone else said you get most of that back resale. Again its a wash. Maintenance costs if you are comparing apples to apples 50 dollar oil change hemi vs 200 diesel. Thanks to the extra heat created by the new emissions on diesel engines the intervals are about the same. Not huge money but it adds up over 100k miles. The 6.4 is a far better daily driver than the diesel but it really comes down to If you don't really need or use the diesel for what its made for then you shouldn't own one.

dRAMbuie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
At the end of the day this comes down to how much weight you want to tow and how many miles you plan to put on your truck.

Much higher maintenance for a diesel, but it will last a lot longer.
Towing capabilities are significantly higher for the diesel than the 5.7 or 6.4L Hemis, and you'll have an easier time towing any amount of weight with all the added torque of a diesel truck.
Not sure where you're from but diesels don't like starting in cold weather as much as a gas engine. May be a factor, may not.

If it was my purchase I'd prefer the 6.4L for several reasons but only if that decision jived with what I was planning to tow. Save being disappointed later.