Gas vs Diesel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
...And the amount of miles you have to drive FIRST to make up for the extra cost of the engine option before one can even benefit from the cost per mile.

Please look at my pic above for payback.

However, do you calculate payback on the $1,200 6.4L option over the 5.7L engine option? Or the $3,000 4x4 option over the 4x2 option? How about the $11,000 Laramie option over the Tradesman? If not, they why do you only do it with the Cummins.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Please look at my pic above for payback.

However, do you calculate payback on the $1,200 6.4L option over the 5.7L engine option? Or the $3,000 4x4 option over the 4x2 option? How about the $11,000 Laramie option over the Tradesman? If not, they why do you only do it with the Cummins.
I can’t do the fancy spreadsheets, but here’s what it would be for me in my area if I was strictly comparing fuel costs to make a decision. 2018 2500 crew cab 4x4 big horns as an example. Fuelly has the CTD at 16.1 mpg, and the 6.4 at 12.2. In my region, the average diesel cost was $3.08 for 2018, and the avg 87 gas cost was $2.72 for 2018. That’s $.191 per mile for diesel, and $.223 per mile for gas. Of course, no one pays the full msrp for the CTD or the 6.4 option, so, all other options being equal, I would have to travel 200,000 miles to make up a $6400 difference in cost IF the CTD option is that much more.

SOKY_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I can’t do the fancy spreadsheets, but here’s what it would be for me in my area if I was strictly comparing fuel costs to make a decision. 2018 2500 crew cab 4x4 big horns as an example. Fuelly has the CTD at 16.1 mpg, and the 6.4 at 12.2. In my region, the average diesel cost was $3.08 for 2018, and the avg 87 gas cost was $2.72 for 2018. That’s $.191 per mile for diesel, and $.223 per mile for gas. Of course, no one pays the full msrp for the CTD or the 6.4 option, so, all other options being equal, I would have to travel 200,000 miles to make up a $6400 difference in cost IF the CTD option is that much more.

But just remember, if at anytime you want to get out of that truck you should get the 6,400 back in resale. That is what sold me on buying mine. There was only a $500 dollar difference in what I paid and what KBB said the trade in value was.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
But just remember, if at anytime you want to get out of that truck you should get the 6,400 back in resale. That is what sold me on buying mine. There was only a $500 dollar difference in what I paid and what KBB said the trade in value was.
DANG IT! I knew I was missing something. Again, this would just be my situation. I’m a warranty to warranty guy, so I don’t keep my trucks past ~100,000 miles. A quick search nation wide of a few identical rams of various years with the exact same options close to 100,000 miles has the CTDs going for...you guessed it...about $6-7000 more. So, I could only bank on getting about $3200 back on the $6400 I would have spent on the CTD. Not that any of this has to do with what the OP was asking, but, I guess what I’m getting at is, no one engine option is going to be better for everyone’s situation. They’re both good choices for what he’s looking for. We just don’t have nearly enough info from him to give him advice to make a REAL educated decision. Is he even concerned about fuel mileage? Is purchase price a factor? Is he concerned about resale value? How long does he plan on keeping it? Etc, etc.

Ribtipram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Taking the average fuel mileage of the 6.4L and Cummins on Fuelly.com, diesel would have to be at 80-90 cents more to have the same cost per mile. Anything less than that, the diesel has a lower cost per mile.
Still have to factor in oil changes water sep and upkeep. Op test drive and buy what you need. There is no argument a ctd will tow more. What do you want.

SOKY_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
DANG IT! I knew I was missing something. Again, this would just be my situation. I’m a warranty to warranty guy, so I don’t keep my trucks past ~100,000 miles. A quick search nation wide of a few identical rams of various years with the exact same options close to 100,000 miles has the CTDs going for...you guessed it...about $6-7000 more. So, I could only bank on getting about $3200 back on the $6400 I would have spent on the CTD. Not that any of this has to do with what the OP was asking, but, I guess what I’m getting at is, no one engine option is going to be better for everyone’s situation. They’re both good choices for what he’s looking for. We just don’t have nearly enough info from him to give him advice to make a REAL educated decision. Is he even concerned about fuel mileage? Is purchase price a factor? Is he concerned about resale value? How long does he plan on keeping it? Etc, etc.

I think you hit the nail on the head. It all depends on what is available when you are ready to buy and how long you are willing to wait for the right deal to come along. You could drive yourself crazy trying to list all the pros and cons and which is cheaper and so forth. I had x number of dollars I was willing to spend and could have gone with several different trucks. I chose to give up some of the interior comforts for a used diesel tradesman. Others in my same shoes would have prob gone gasser or even a newer half ton with a better package. At the end of the day do what fits in your budget and makes you happy.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD

No it wouldn't because at the end of that 200k, you would still have a truck with greater value than the gas version. Same goes with a Laramie package over the Tradesman, a 4x4 option over a 4x2, or a 6.4L option over a 5.7L. If you bought a diesel truck for $8k more than a gas truck and at the at the end of 200k or 100k, and both trucks had equal value then I can see your point, but that is not the case.

Plain and simple, the diesel engine options is one of the only options that will pay for itself and then some at the end of 100k or even 200k. Not only do you get added performance and capability which has a subjective value depending on the person, but it also returns value in fuel saving AND trade-in/resale value. No other option, not a 4x4, not a Laramie, not the 6.4L option or even a Ram box option will 100% pay for itself other than a diesel because you will always loose some of the up front money at trade-in/resale

Last edited:

G. Mcpherson

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Ram 2500 CC SB Tradesman
Engine
6.7 Cummins
If it's what a Person wants then buy one. Either or.

OP
OP
B

Brandon32689

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I went from a heavily modded half ton Hemi to a CTD back in march and I love it. I cant speak for the 6.4 as I have never drove one, but I can tell you when I was looking that I had the same questions. I don't do a lot of towing and I also daily drive this truck so I'm sure that puts me in the minority. So far it is not as bad as a lot of people will tell you. Since March I have only had to put Def in once, and I am just under a half tank right now. I change my own oil and it is more expensive per change but you can go longer intervals which offsets the cost there. I know that there can be some things that can get expensive down the road but that is true with any truck. The fuel filter changes do suck but its maybe twice a year for me or about $15 a month if you want to look at it that way.
I did buy used and think i got a good deal. I wouldn't have went diesel if i was buying new as I could not justify that payment. If the right 6.4 had come along when I was looking, I probably would be in one of those right now, but I went this route and so far I have no regrets. The thing I love the most is how easy it is to drive down the highway. Once you get up to speed its like you barely have to give it any fuel. I have to be careful because it is really easy to let this thing get away and be doing 90 without knowing it.

I use to have a 06 mega cab CTD so i know how well a diesel runs. What year did you get? I have no experience with the new 6.7 mine was a 06 with the 5.9.

NC_RAMhd_

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I did this same exercise EXTENSIVELY from October of 2018 until January of 2019 when I bought a 2500 CTD. Similar, I tow a TT that will maybe max at 8-9k, I pulled it for one year in a 1/2 ton,and that originally got me wanting a 3/4 ton. I drove CTD and 6.4 and had one of each at different lots being negotiated. I couldnt justify the added cost of the CTD, I probably still cant, however what made me drop the 6.4, test driving and just thinking I knew I WANTED the cummins. If I get better re-sale at 100k or I loose money, that honestly wasnt my deciding factor, I was scared if I got the 6.4 I would regret not getting the cummins. I have nothing against the 6.4 as I think they tow right about the same weights.

So in short all the logic and data wont mean squat if you get into a truck you dont love, slice it either way new or used, we pay a hefty price for these, make it want you want.

MegaRam18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I did this same exercise EXTENSIVELY from October of 2018 until January of 2019 when I bought a 2500 CTD. Similar, I tow a TT that will maybe max at 8-9k, I pulled it for one year in a 1/2 ton,and that originally got me wanting a 3/4 ton. I drove CTD and 6.4 and had one of each at different lots being negotiated. I couldnt justify the added cost of the CTD, I probably still cant, however what made me drop the 6.4, test driving and just thinking I knew I WANTED the cummins. If I get better re-sale at 100k or I loose money, that honestly wasnt my deciding factor, I was scared if I got the 6.4 I would regret not getting the cummins. I have nothing against the 6.4 as I think they tow right about the same weights.

So in short all the logic and data wont mean squat if you get into a truck you dont love, slice it either way new or used, we pay a hefty price for these, make it want you want.
My diesel trucks have always held their value when it came time to sell and move up.
I sold my 2011 Duramax 3500 swd not a 4x4, crew shortbed for $32k last year. That was a nice downpayment on the Dooley.
And diesel is now cheaper than regular again.

Sent from my old rotary phone using Tapatalk [emoji3513]

SOKY_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I use to have a 06 mega cab CTD so i know how well a diesel runs. What year did you get? I have no experience with the new 6.7 mine was a 06 with the 5.9.

Its a 2017. Wish I could tell you more but its the first diesel i have ever owned so don't really know how it compares to a 5.9. All i hear from people is how much the emissions stuff is holding these engines back, so a stock 6.7 prob doesn't feel much different than a 5.9. For me i am happy with it just the way it is. Might end up deleting it someday, but with the political buzz around climate change i'm afraid that things are just going to get more restricted.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Here is a cost analysis of all three and a 6.4L with the recommended 89 octane if anyone is interested. Of course, the fuel prices and trade in values will vary depending on your region. Interest rates and sales taxes will also vary.

5-7-vs-6-4-vs-6-7-3.png

OP
OP
B

Brandon32689

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

So how have you been with your choice?

SOKY_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds like a good deal to me. Hope it all works out for you!

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

NC_RAMhd_

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
So how have you been with your choice?

I dont regret it, I am actually glad i went diesel i have put 18,000 miles on it since January, 85% work related, i am ll over south east and the rest pulling camper on family trips. It does a mix of everything, daily driving in city, long highway hauls for work, pulling TT.

I think if i had almost 20k miles on a gas engine year one i would be worried....

Leonard Russo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
You have to ask yourself how often are you going to tow that weight and how far and what terrain . All key points in making the right decision. Personally my 6.4 suits my towing needs just fine ! Good luck

boblonben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^^^^
I agree with bigseff, if you're only gonna pull 9 or 10 times a year, or even once a month for that matter, I would go with the 6.4. To me a diesel is just not worth it unless you are pulling heavy, a lot of miles, or both. I have just started pulling a 13,000+ 5th wheel & it has been pulling great! And that's with the 3.73 gears. I plan on re-gearing this winter to make it even pull better, but I just can't justify paying what they are asking for trucks right now, just to pull heavy for a few times a year. Trucks are beyond stupid expensive right now! About 6 months ago I saw a 1500 Big Horn that was $5,000 more than my 2500 Outdoorsman! And the auto company's don't understand why sales are down!:Violin:
But the sales are NOT down, they are up 14%. So don't understand your comment???????