Grab Handles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wanda T

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1500 Hemi 5.7
Grab handle broke off completely when I lifted myself into the truck. Fractured my backbone and almost busted my head open on the concrete. Dodge Ram needs to add warning labels to alert people of the danger this may cause if too much weight / pressure is put on these grab handles.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Why would you think a plastic handle on an interior panel would be strong enough to support an adult human?

Maaybe because it is a handle, which looks like it as meant to be grabbed, to help get your extremely rotound self into the truck?
I know i use to help haul my 330# ultra sexy self in to my truck.

Got to admit, when I saw the thread title,
first thing that popped into my head
was he broke his Wife's Hip or something.
Then again, my Mind tends to run along one track, for most of the time.

Probably why I got 5 kids who call me Dad.
If ya only do one Thing, do it well.

670hoth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Grab handle broke off completely when I lifted myself into the truck. Fractured my backbone and almost busted my head open on the concrete. Dodge Ram needs to add warning labels to alert people of the danger this may cause if too much weight / pressure is put on these grab handles.
What year is your truck? It should hold you regardless. I'm just curious because I'm thinking of taking my running boards off when will have to pull on those handles more myself. Hope you're okay.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I use my Rams Nerf Bar to step on with my left foot
Then i use the Grab handle with my Right Hand & push against the door with my left hand.
Then i place my Right foot on the Floor Mat & pull & push to get my Obese body into the truck.

I would surely be hospitalized, or worse, if that grab handle ever failed.
I need to lose a minimum of 40 pounds, that i had gained when i had the large leg ulcers on both legs

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
THey will probably come back and say they are ASSIST handle. Not the primary device to get in the truck. It's the wet pad on the stepbars that get me

MikeT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
My brother did the same thing on the passenger side a few years ago, didn't seriously hurt himself but was not happy. I found the solution on Geneo's Garage. I got a new "A" piller and a couple reinforcement kits from them, absolutely no problem since then. Might be a good idea to check you other ones because the driver side on mine was cracked, so I replaced both at the same time and bought 2 reinforcement kits also. Below is a link to the reinforcement kits.
http://www.genosgarage.com/?gclid=CJ7GgN6SpMgCFQ9rfgodCX8B3Q I hope it still works, it's been a while.

Mike

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
May be time for a car that is low .

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Maaybe because it is a handle, which looks like it as meant to be grabbed, to help get your extremely rotound self into the truck?
I know i use to help haul my 330# ultra sexy self in to my truck.
Well, the factory just calls it "Panel, A pillar trim" lol.

p813.JPG

Full size humans actually using it to haul their full weight in is why this exists: https://www.genosgarage.com/product/imco-rpr-kit/interior-replacement-parts
I would've loved to see what was left of the mounting points on yours lol.

OP
OP
W

Wanda T

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1500 Hemi 5.7
What year is your truck? It should hold you regardless. I'm just curious because I'm thinking of taking my running boards off when will have to pull on those handles more myself. Hope you're okay.
It is an 2003 Ram 1500. I guess I'm the stupid one, but I would have thought it would be secure enough. Now, I'm waiting to get an MRI on my back and hips. The pain is alot. Thanks for your comment.

Jim BB

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Good Luck
BUT they are only held in with 2 lil screws !!!!! That why they are called OH **** handles for when you are being tossed around inside the vehicle and you don't go flying in to the driver or bounce off the door glass to help stabilize you in the seat ! Yes they will help you in and out of the vehicle but not meant for all you body weight ! everything has a weight limit to it and a stress point ! If that much help is needed to get in get running boards or a good set of nerf bars!
I am not trying to be mean I am 150Lbs and i use my factory nerf bars to in and sometime out of my truck ! We all are not as young as we once were ! Just sayin !

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It is just not Dodge/Rams, I just replaced one on a Ford F250 for a friend. A lot of plastic and 2 screws into small brackets.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Why would you think a plastic handle on an interior panel would be strong enough to support an adult human?
Then WHAT is the handle for? It stands to reason that people are going to grab the closest and most convenient thing to hoist themselves into their double-chubby-chuck, gas hog, high ground clearance 3 ton behemoths! ;)

I've replaced MANY steering wheels and performed column repairs where the steering wheel was mistaken for a grab handle/ shower bar by obese/ overweight folks who do not have the physical prowess to get into the vehicle AND hoist themselves upward (defy gravity) any other way.

I'd expect (and realize this isn't based on reality) that the manufacturers would make the grab handles where they have steel reinforcement and substantial mounting.

I observe many folks who aren't schooled in proper use of running boards as well.

But, make these grab handles out of un-reinforced plastic? Now THAT's just assinine.