Greasable vs non-greasable u-joints

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
As the title says, which style of u-joint do you prefer? Doesn't seem to be much of a price difference between the two. From what I've read, those who favor the greasable claim they last longer while those who prefer non-greasable say they can handle heavier loads.

i got 9 of these suckers that will need replacing at various points and when the time comes, i'd rather just do them all at once and be done for a while. Just wondering what the best bet would be overall.

If it helps to note, my truck doesn't see any off-roading save for blasting through snow drifts in January.

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I would get greasables, they will last longer because you can keep regreasing them.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
As the title says, which style of u-joint do you prefer? Doesn't seem to be much of a price difference between the two. From what I've read, those who favor the greasable claim they last longer while those who prefer non-greasable say they can handle heavier loads.

i got 9 of these suckers that will need replacing at various points and when the time comes, i'd rather just do them all at once and be done for a while. Just wondering what the best bet would be overall.

If it helps to note, my truck doesn't see any off-roading save for blasting through snow drifts in January.

That would be spot on.

I use greaseable u-joints.

Killerb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Ram 2500

Well I just ran into a u joint dilemma, had installed greasable brute strength joints all around and broke 2 front axle joints and destroyed both shafts when plowing and gotta say looking at them it's was do to a bad cast from the zerk fitting area. Went with dana spicer units this time around without zerks and you can tell it's a way stronger joint. It's your call, both will work.Non greasable imo.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
^^^ Most here are DD not plowing, for what you are up to Dana 60 is in order.

Killerb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Ram 2500
^^^ Most here are DD not plowing, for what you are up to Dana 60 is in order.

I agree 3/4 ton in the works, however trucks are made to work, imo. Plowing, wheelin, or towing must have good u joints.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Trucks are made to work and do fine as long as they are keep within it's limits. Parts break because there limites where exceed, put in a stronger part and what's the next part to fail because it no longer is able to handle the new load/stress. One thing leads to another as you know.

So you put in stronger cross-joints did you upgrade the axle shafts to match?

Moog cross joints and Napa brand I am seeing more and more problems with, its down to Spicer and thats it.

We can debate greaseable and non greaseable all day.

The Dana 60 upgrade I did was soooo worth it for many a reason.