Grounding TB

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dogcar3

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bigger battery ground to body. bigger body to frame ground. trans ground if i can figure out were it suppose to be. and upgrade the alt to battery wire.

I would think that more grounds spaced out would be more beneficial then just making the current grounds bigger. The ground straps used probably have the lowest resistance in the entire ground path (motor, frame, body, etc...). So the electrons still have to travel to those same ground points in the more resistant materials. If there were more ground points between frame, body, and motor then the electrons would be able to travel to the closest ground point and not have to travel as far in the higher resistance material.

Didja know: electrons like to travel along the surface of a conductor, hence why manufacturers use straps with a ton of separate strands to create more surface area. This is also the reason why motor blocks, frames, and sheet metal are not as good of conductors as a stranded wire.

bigtigga84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i agree with you on adding grounds spread out. the factory wiring just seems "small to me". with your larger surface area theory, using a heavier gauge, finer stranded wire would be better than the factory wiring correct?

dogcar3

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i agree with you on adding grounds spread out. the factory wiring just seems "small to me". with your larger surface area theory, using a heavier gauge, finer stranded wire would be better than the factory wiring correct?

Yes. But this still falls further down the pareto then adding more grounds. I have seen on eBay those ground wire kits that are super cheap.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Grounded my tb the other day and finally had some time to test it out and must say what a difference. Throttle response is great the truck doesn't bog down while driving through town. It feels like I got back the low end torque that was lost when the exhaust and cai was added. Thoroughly impressed.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk

torq

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
ill be installing my Moe's 87mm after work today so i think ill put a ground on while im at it just for giggles

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Forgot to add that I've gained back almost 1 mpg. Not having to hammer down on the throttle (phrase used loosely) to keep moving or get moving

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk

Texasez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Do y'all think a grounding strap would work any better than just a normal wire.

dogcar3

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would think that even a 12 gauge wire would be enough to remove any voltage difference on the TB, not like it has to push a lot of current.

But yes, in theory, a grounding strap would be better then a normal wire.

I am planning on using some 10 gauge wire I have laying around when I get a chance.

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
As Dog said, it doesn't have to be HUGE. Finer multi strand is best here for flexibility from the small vibrations it will encounter.

torq

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
i didnt put on one tonight. i put moe's 87 on and i figured id try that for a week and then do it just to see which one was the difference maker

Big Green

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine is bone stock except for a nice 4" hole I sawed out of the bottom of the factory airbox. Saw this on here and figured that the possible outcome was well worth the expense of a trip to Lowes for some 12 gauge wire and electrical connectors. Install wasn't bad other than I couldn't locate a 10-12 gauge terminal that fit the ground bolt without some friendly persuasion (round file placed inside of drill with lots of trial and error lol). Can't wait to try her out.

retiredfireman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I did it with some spare wiring and it did make a difference. smoother idle and who knows what else. it will be great going for an 'end-of-the-world' cruise tonight after hockey , ahahaha

Big Green

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The results are in. I noticed a smoother idle and less hesitation from a dead stop. Thanks for sharing this mod with us. I had seen various "super" ground devices throughout the years and just figured it was snake oil. This an el cheapo mod that really works as advertised. Can't wait to see what effects it might have, if any, at the pump.

mitchn06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i've read pages and pages on this "mod" and decided since there was no real data or hard evidence that this mod did anything at all, i made some videos of the "mod" using an oscilloscope and posted them. I used 14AWG as my gound wire.

here are my findings: with the throttle body grounded i noticed that it clipped the voltage spikes down and eliminated SOME noise on the signal wire.

Effects on the pickup: i had a rather smooth idle to begin with and did make videos of the tach with/without the wire installed, and one could not really tell a difference. as far as driving the pickup, it again is hard to tell, because i just installed 33s on the pickup and am still getting used to those.

Throttle Body Not Grounded
Throttle Body Grounded

Lawhand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Is this concept any different that the "electronic Throttle booster" devices that i see advertised for foreign cars with electronic throttle bodies.

Basically it states that the booster adds more volts to the throttle body which increase response time.

I know a ground doesnt add voltage but it will, as stated earlier, reclaim some of the normal voltage the TB is suppose to have.

been thinking about rigging up a Throttle booster for a while now, but i will try this out and see what results i get. 10$ worth of material for results cannot be argued with.

scott lass 18

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 ram 1500
Engine
anyone have a picture on what u did on grounding TB mine stalls goes to 400 then jumps back up !

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I dont know if theres a thread in this yet but i seen this on a different forum, so figured I'd try it. I ran a wire from the tb bolt to the ground on the fender. By doing which its supposed to reduce static charge that builds up in the tb. People claim that by grounding the tb it smooths out the idle, smoother shifting and some other things. I just did it this morning, not 100% convicted it worked yet.... any one else do this?
a6934f01-ce62-7f53.jpg
a6934f01-ce7b-3113.jpg

If the engine already has a good ground, you just made a transformer and will affect the truck in negative ways over time!
I had a customer who thought it was a great idea to ground both sides of his radiator because he had repeat radiator core failures.... after all, some hotshot on the internet said to do that! All he did was make a battery out of the radiator, and his troubles skyrocketed. Referred to me, I replaced the radiator, and fixed his ground resistance issue at the block... and told him to leave off the ground wires he had installed on the radiator which I removed... Problem fixed.

LoadedExpressRam

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So dont ground the radiator but you can ground the TB? This seemed like a sure thing until that reply.