Hate that tranny knob

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I wish mine had the dial knob.

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
If you're referring to me shep, you're another one who needs to learn to read a little better.Who said anything about the radio knob? Nowhere did I say anything about 2 knobs and turning the wrong one. I'm only talking about the shifter knob,and how I personally don't like it . There's lots of complaints from people who've hit park by accident when shifting the knob to reverse . And with that i'm done dealing with guys who don't have the ability to read properly.I might not use the space bar like you want shep,(suck it up young feller), but I sure as hell can read what's been wrote, especially here after I posted "my opinion" ,which seems to have twisted a couple guys panties into a knot. Catch you pair on the flipside, i'm done arguing with you pair of clowns:roflsquared:
Listen man, you didn't like my joke, I apologized. You've got no reason to keep insulting me. You keep insisting I've got a reading problem, which I do not. I proved this to you when I showed that what you said could have been misconstrued. Not once did I bring up the numerous grammer, spelling and punctuation errors in your posts, because don't kid yourself, there were a lot of them.

Now once I quit responding you decide it's appropriate to call me a clown? ****.

You said you're old enough to know that everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Well obviously you're not old enough to know when to shut the hell up. I apologized for offending you with my joke. That should have been the end of it. Don't bother replying, I won't respond.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Longroad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Rebel
Engine
At least it's better than what I had in my 14 Grand Cherokee I traded in for it

OP
OP
K

kirwinjd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A rotary knob shifter is something I'd expect to find on that car the Griswold's rented in the newest Vacation movie

Yep or a woman who hates men and anything it reminds them of us

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Respectfully i will say this,

In a way i do agree with you..... Its a truck. But the ONE reason that the guys you are call "girls" are entitled to nice interior in their turck is because they COST AS MUCH as an Audi now days. My TRADESMAN msrp'ed at over $45,000. Thats insane IMO. So if somone pays as much as they do for a da&$ pick up truck, they have every right to ask for the "luxury" you speak of.

And complain about knobs vs column shifters.

But in the end, yes... Its still a truck.

:favorites13:

no opine on the knob as i dont have one, but i do remember my grandfathers old 1953 pontiac having a pushbutton shift control on the dash. yes i am another old guy. i also agree, trucks have gotten way expensive.

TruckNut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
kirwinjd--I didn't like it either. For the first 2-3 weeks I kept reaching for the radio and finding my hands on the shifter dial. Does save floor space, but I love a floor shifter. Still not crazy about it after a year, but look at the positive side: everything else about these trucks is pretty amazing. Plus we get to lock out at any gear which is huge for towing, with the paddle shifters. Give it a while.........

Jetsfan122

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Express Crew Cab White
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I actually love the dial knob. I haven't had any issues getting accustomed to it. To each his own , I guess

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It took me a little while to get used to it. And, by that I mean a few weeks. Previous 2 vehicles had center console shifters, so I would find myself reaching for that. I'd also reach for a column shifter because, well, it's a truck. LOL! I did blare the stereo a few times while I was trying to shift into drive... scared the **** out of me!

I was told they used the dial shifter because it was a Mercedes designed transmission. They have been using dials and small "bump" shifters for several years without any issues. If it really was a Mercedes design, I'm not really sure. I do know it's a ****-ton better than what Dodge used to put in their trucks, and much better than the 6 speed.

It's different at first, but you will eventually get used to it. Heck, now I get in the wife's Durango and I reach for the dial instead of the console shifter. Her car has got me all screwed up!

sriley531

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It took me a little while to get used to it. And, by that I mean a few weeks. Previous 2 vehicles had center console shifters, so I would find myself reaching for that. I'd also reach for a column shifter because, well, it's a truck. LOL! I did blare the stereo a few times while I was trying to shift into drive... scared the **** out of me!

I was told they used the dial shifter because it was a Mercedes designed transmission. They have been using dials and small "bump" shifters for several years without any issues. If it really was a Mercedes design, I'm not really sure. I do know it's a ****-ton better than what Dodge used to put in their trucks, and much better than the 6 speed.

It's different at first, but you will eventually get used to it. Heck, now I get in the wife's Durango and I reach for the dial instead of the console shifter. Her car has got me all screwed up!
Same story here. One thing I will say, now that I'm used to it (and I was definitely on the fence about it at first) I actually really like it. When I back out I can flip that dude to drive quicker than I ever could with a column shifter. Maybe not much quicker than a console shifter, but unless it's a manual, console shifters don't belong in trucks any more than a knob does!! [emoji12] Anyway, different strokes for different folks and such, but once I got used to it (a couple weeks) I actually really like to play with my knob.... Haha [emoji39]

RumRunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Had center console in my Jeep GC, so also reached for it a few times. Probably took about a week for that to stop. I don't generally like column shifters, and this makes more room in the console without having a shifter there. I'm sure over time it will become second nature.

JRam813

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have had mine a week and I am still getting used to it. I have turned the radio up by mistake, the fan down by mistake, I have sat in my driveway reving the engine at least once, and just recently I forgot to put the sumbitch in park after I backed it in the driveway.

All said I like the look of it better than a column shifter. If they went with a shifter on the floor that I could rest my hand on, that would be ok, but the knob....I'll get used to it. THere is way to much about the truck I love to not enjoy it over a knob.

Kwb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have only owned my 1500 for 2 weeks. You will get used to it.

I had a similar mistake trying to adjust to cruise control and hit the wrong button and shifted the truck down 2 gears while doing 75mph.... the buttons are small and close together...

I love this truck!!

OP
OP
K

kirwinjd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have only owned my 1500 for 2 weeks. You will get used to it.

I had a similar mistake trying to adjust to cruise control and hit the wrong button and shifted the truck down 2 gears while doing 75mph.... the buttons are small and close together...

I love this truck!!

What makes it hard for me is driving my Ram to work and then driving my Silverado while doing my work. I'm reaching for the knob on my Silverado and reaching for the column shifter on my Ram. Just can't keep it straight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Broyd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think it's called muscle memory; when you need to do a thing a certain way but do it the 'old' way. Your muscle memory needs to be retrained. To do this you must actually think about what you need to do and how you will accomplish it. After a while it will become automatic, just as it did when doing it the old way.

From another viewpoint, not liking it reflects on your ability to adapt to new situations ... no? Something to think about :)

I'm no better. I had a 2011 with the console shifter and I occasionally still reach for it ... and not having a place to rest my hand :)

Mbarclay

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had a 2012 with the center console shifter before my 2015 with the knob. I personally love it. There's a ton of storage in the center without the shifter there and I have a phone holder on the business card holder. The mileage this truck with the 8 speed gets makes up for any learning curve I had with the knob. I don't even notice it now it might be because my old lady has a Durango with the knob shifter also. Give it time and you'll get use to it and not even think about it.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I think it's called muscle memory; when you need to do a thing a certain way but do it the 'old' way. Your muscle memory needs to be retrained. To do this you must actually think about what you need to do and how you will accomplish it. After a while it will become automatic, just as it did when doing it the old way.

From another viewpoint, not liking it reflects on your ability to adapt to new situations ... no? Something to think about :)

I'm no better. I had a 2011 with the console shifter and I occasionally still reach for it ... and not having a place to rest my hand :)

Muscle memory is great if your truck is the only thing you drive,my company vehicle is a 3/4 ton GM ,which I drive 5 or 6 days a week,my truck I only use occasionally,usually to go drag racing with on the week-ends,it's a ***** switching back to the truck,as there is no chance of having any muscle memory when it's been a week since driving it last,and you've been driving a column shifted GM all week.
Getting used to the knob doesn't work for me,as I don't use the truck enough to have any muscle memory for it.

Last edited:

Informal

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The best part is... You never have to wonder what stick your wipers are on!

Or was that just me? :p

savage_46

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 swapped
As a tech, I feel the your guy's pain. There's been a few times that I'm maneuvering a truck in the shop, & reach for a shifter that isn't there only to swipe at air; whether it's column, floor, or knob. I've also had a few instances in my truck where I think I put it in whatever gear only to be one notch off.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca