Hate that tranny knob

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rsdata

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 BigHorn 1500 8spd 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
picked up my used RAM 2014 on Monday and have not had a problem since driving off the lot... you know mechanical linkage used lever shifter, or 50 years ago Chrysler had a push buttom shifter on the dash... electronic shifter does not matter where you mount it... glue an 8-Ball on it and pretend you have a shifter on the floor... kinda

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab & 2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
picked up my used RAM 2014 on Monday and have not had a problem since driving off the lot... you know mechanical linkage used lever shifter, or 50 years ago Chrysler had a push buttom shifter on the dash... electronic shifter does not matter where you mount it... glue an 8-Ball on it and pretend you have a shifter on the floor... kinda

In the late 60's my dad had a Chrysler Imperial with the push buttons on the dash. Would love to have one of those today, it was such a huge boat.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I finally found a solution to that damn knob---I'll just listen to the "boss" tell me what to do!!!! Unbelievable, all this time and the solution was sitting right next to me----dddddddddddaaaaaaaaaa
Jay

Frisk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I love the shifter knob. When I first saw it I thought it was weird but after using it I would not want to go back. The lever style shifter takes up too much room and it is a throw back to when moving the lever actually moved something connected to the transmission.

papaya

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
PentaStar V6
I have chronical inflamed shoulders. After having to use a column shifter on our 2015 F150 - I did fall in love with the shifter knob. Period! We got an offer to trade in our F150 XLT to a 2016 F150 Lariat with floor shifter last week. I did not hesitate and took the offer. When you have some grad of disability, you like to do things the easy way. You could put a RAM center cap sticker on it if the diameter is right. That would make the knob "pop" out and a bit better feeling.

2000GM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I got used to it quickly and didn't mind it at first. Now after owning the truck a few months, I don't like the knob. I don't like how it feel or moves and it just feels unnatural going there with my hand to change direction, especially in tight fast maneuvering. I'd trade it in a heartbeat for a column lever or center console type. Yes I'd lose storage room in the center console, but that gaping hole just gathers things I probably don't need riding around in the truck with me anyhow.

GYSOT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think it's why the newer ones have the silver knob. Swapping mine back to black as I just got a new truck and prefer the black

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Gump

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I really get a kick out of guys ******** about the shifter style in an automatic truck. Pulling a lever, twisting a knob, pushing a button, who cares.. I'd kill for three pedals and a six speed though.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I really get a kick out of guys ******** about the shifter style in an automatic truck. Pulling a lever, twisting a knob, pushing a button, who cares.. I'd kill for three pedals and a six speed though.

exactly !!!!!!!!!!!!

roadshow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Interior stuff on a truck is just fluff IMO. I'm all about the cool stuff inside an upscale car, but on a truck all I really care about is driving comfort, AC, ability to withstand a bit of abuse, and cupholders. Anyway I'm sure you'll get used to it and forget about it soon enough.

Last edited:

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Interior stuff on a truck is just fluff IMO. I'm all about the cool stuff inside AN UPSCALE CAR, but on a truck all I really care about is driving comfort, AC, ability to withstand a bit of abuse, and cupholders. Anyway I'm sure you'll get used to it and forget about it soon enough.

And don't forget about storage for lots of stuff. I love storage.

ADUBIS

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Knob

I don't mind the knob. Every now and again I forget to put it back in park when I shut it off. The truck does put itself back in park on its own.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Love the knob. Shifter columns are ugly and obtrusive. Floor shifter takes up space.

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I guess i understand if you want the floor shifter. The column shifter and dial are about the same to me. I never did much more than pull the lever down to reverse then down to drive. When i got where i was going i put ot back in park. Same thing with the dial right click once ,back out of the driveway. All the way to right to go forward. When i stop all the way to the left to park.

breal201999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I may be the only one that has done this so far, and if so I feel pretty silly... but there have been more than one occasion where I stop the truck to park and get out and maybe grab something with it still running (probably was in reverse) and I, without really looking, with a flip of the wrist just rolled the knob the wrong direction accidentally and shift to drive instead of park and then proceed to exit the truck and it starts rolling forward. Now if it had been a column shifter, I know where park is and drive is "naturally". This knob just isn't a natural feel but something I'll just have to consciously try to think about before exiting. But, this is all coming from a guy who's foot slipped off the clutch in his Firebird Formula and ripped the driver door off hitting the deep freeze. You'd think I'd be more careful, but I just get in a hurry. :)

jag1886

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Demi 5.7 S&B CAI, flowmaster merge collector, Gibson cat back, oil catch can, 87
I think that knob shifter is the dumbest thing anyone has ever come up with, glad I got a 6 speed that still has a 1/2 way real shifter.

StoneDude76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Don't mind the knob either. I may had issues with it the first month I owned truck but I am used to it now

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

7777xm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It grew on me. Now I love it

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thank you for the good response
I'll try. It just seems kind of cheap and unnatural. To just put a dial on the dash was a real leap by dodge. Just wondering what they were thinking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remember when standard trans were shifted on the column??? Why would you ever put it in the center console? Remember CDs??? Why would you ever put 1000 songs on a device that fits in your pocket?

Really? You sound like a stubborn cry baby. Return it, learn it, or ****!!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca