Headlight Build Part 2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
Ok got a shock Friday afternoon. My insurance agent showed up at my door with a new pair of headlights for me. Specifically this type:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Not sure where he got them nor how much the insurance paid for them but was pleasantly surprised. Now I gotta take them apart and install what I managed to save from the other set that the scumbag attempted to steal and broke to pieces. I lucked out and managed to salvage the projectors, the halos around the projectors, the amber ones he trashes somehow, thankfully he did not actually cut the wires for the harnesses. But I have to replace the connectors on the bulbs and the halos. Which will not be a big problem seeing as I am fairly decent at wiring.
I will get some pics after the new year for yall.

Ok now for some advice from yall. Should I remove the chrome this time, or leave it seeing as it is only on the actual reflectors?? The main headlight part will most likely reflect the black of the shroud so it will not be too bad. Might tint the turn signal part haven't decided yet. :emotions34:

OP
OP
M

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well guys I get off the bat tonight and am home for a week. Time to start the build. But first I will get a picture of the new headlights on my truck with another of the stock ones before I tear into them. Got everything I need for this (managed to salvage a lot from the ones that were destroyed) so it should be just a simple thing to take the new ones apart and then install the parts and put them back together.
Ill keep yall posted so look for the goodness.

HLram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 and 2007
Engine
Hemi 5.7 in both
You asked earlier if that spray tint would work on chrome parts. I do know that someone makes a "black chrome" spray that I believe is designed to be sprayed over chrome. It comes out looking like, well, black chrome hahaha. You may google that and see if that would be a better option for you.

OP
OP
M

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OP
OP
M

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok guys ran into a bit of a problem. Nothing serious but gotta put the headlight build on hold for a few weeks (wife blew up her stove). SO for now I will just install the new lights as they are on my truck and then wait til it gets warmer to do the build. My luck is terrible.

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
heat gun! :D

OP
OP
M

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok guys I promised some pics and here are a couple:

First this one I with the original headlights installed, damn they are so ugly on a black truck:

You will see the new lights before modifications in front on the ground.

rkex.jpg

Next is with the new headlights installed and the hood open showing my Hela 500's where I installed them at:

wd7k.jpg

Due to the weather I will start the main build when it warms up and stops raining. Let me knw what yall think guys.

OP
OP
M

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Got something new that I am gonna install while waiting on the machine shop to finish with my adaptors. Got a set of Eagle Eye led switchback DRL/turn signals off E-Bay. These are the ones I bought:

10 x Switchback High Power Flexible LED Daytime Running Lights White | eBay

Now I am just wondering where to install them. Any suggestions??? I have thought about the bumper, and the grill, but have not decided as of yet.

OP
OP
M

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Damn relooking at the pick with my hood open I just realized that my Hela's are not centered properly. The driver side one is to close to the center. Gonna have to fix that.

LS5DodgeRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L v8
Lol... how is the build going? Have you started yet? And do you have any picks of what the guy did? I was considering getting projectors but I really dont want that happening...

OP
OP
M

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Lol... how is the build going? Have you started yet? And do you have any picks of what the guy did? I was considering getting projectors but I really dont want that happening...

I was so mad when it happened that I parked my truck until the insurance company could get their pics. I unfortunately did not get any for myself (truthfully I did not want to be reminded of what a freak did to my baby).
I think it was an isolated incident and the idiot did not know what he was getting into. It is extremely hard if not impossible to remove the headlights without opening the hood so I do not think it will ever happen again.
As far as your wanting projectors, well go for it. Get with Jeremy at Retro Shop Online Store about his offerings if you do not want to do the work yourself. And if you do want to do the work then get with Jeremy anyways about the parts you will need for the job.
As far as mine go they are in a state of limbo atm. Waiting on my tax check to arrive. I decided to take them to AAC Style in New Orleans to have them do the work (I really do not have the time nor the patience). Gonna cost around $300 but I am supplying all the parts and the headlights they are just gonna do the work. With what the little **** did I have to replace one halo ring and some wiring for the halos. But I got in touch with retro solutions and the parts are waiting for me at home. As son as I can get the lights back from AAC Style I will post some pics of them not installed and installed.

LS5DodgeRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L v8
Awesome! and how do you like the aac halos? if i do projectors i want to get the halos from them. their new plasma series seems pretty promising. and unfortunately the headlights are something i dont want to screw up so if i were to get projectors it would have to be from jj. not a bad thing... just a bad thing for a college student's wallet lol

OP
OP
M

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Awesome! and how do you like the aac halos? if i do projectors i want to get the halos from them. their new plasma series seems pretty promising. and unfortunately the headlights are something i dont want to screw up so if i were to get projectors it would have to be from jj. not a bad thing... just a bad thing for a college student's wallet lol

Actually the Halo's that AAC style are calling their plasma halos are the same ones that Retrofit Solutions and Jeremy can get. Here is the link to Retro Solutions page: Morimoto XB LED Angel Eyes - Accessories from The Retrofit Source Inc

Check out the above link. I asked AAC Style if they had the 06 to 08 Ram Halo's in the plasma style but they said no. They only have them in the normal fugly standard led. Maybe Jeremy or RetroSolutions can come up with a set for us soon. I have seen some that look like they would work on the blinker side, but no sure. The largest XB/Plasma halo is 140mm but I have not yet measured the headlight size too see if those would work for that location.
The cost is a bit high but well worth it for the light output. I should be giving the parts to AAC Style this weekend if everything came from Retro Solutions that I had to replace.

Last edited:

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
quick note(s)

Retro Solutions..........notta. The Retrofit Source is where those goodies come from.

As for making a set of plasmas for the 06-08s........I don't see me or TRS doing it bud. Just a LOT of $$ in that........AAC might, if the market is there.

OP
OP
M

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
quick note(s)

Retro Solutions..........notta. The Retrofit Source is where those goodies come from.

As for making a set of plasmas for the 06-08s........I don't see me or TRS doing it bud. Just a LOT of $$ in that........AAC might, if the market is there.

Unfortunately when I asked them about just that the guys I talked too said they have no plans too offer the plasma halo's for the 06-08 trucks. They are missing a very big segment of buyers by doing that, and that is why I am only gonna use them to do the build. If Jeremy had been closer to where I live then he would have gotten the job, but after the fiasco with Fed-EX the last time, I will not trust shipping companies with what I have due to the cost of the parts.
Doing a bit of searching for things I found the actual manufacturer f the XB/plasma halo rings. Sent them a question on if they can produce their rings for a 2007 dodge ram's headlights. Waiting for a response.

Last edited:

LS5DodgeRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L v8
Nice. Thats interesting. Im hoping they can make the plasmas with a white/blue switch like the leds ones... I really wish they would do that. Then I'd for sure get it.

Thanks for the information!