Heard of a bad oil code? Stealership story.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
C

czardog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If it was an obvious shakedown why did you let it happen?

You didn't take it back, as instructed, when the light came back on.

That wasn't the conversation. Stop thinking about how you would have handled the situation and start thinking in terms of how i'm telling you how the conversation actually happened.

The staff were adamant that there was no chance it was an Oil Pressure Sensor. In fact, if i didn't tell them I scanned the car myself, they were never going to tell me P0520 even came up! Do you get it?

I said "if you're so confident that it was bad oil, what happens if the the P0520 code comes back, will you return my diagnostic fee?"

and the said, "yes, if the code comes back, we'll return the diagnostic fee"

No instructions that i had to come back to them. No explanation that this was just step one in a grander diagnostic plan.

The code came back, i don't trust them anymore so i took it Peel, a CHRYSLER DEALER, not some shop on the side of a road, they verified the code, provided proof of paper work.

Dewildt said it was bad oil, i said it was oil pressure scanner. I was right, they were wrong. Give me the diagnostic fee back that they shouldn't have even charged me in the first place because it's a warrantied vehicle.

I feel like i'm on crazy pills

MANual_puller

Shade tree grease monkey
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Moose
Engine
5.7L hemi
Well, now that I've been told to drink the kool-aid and believe everything you're saying I see the light! You deserve a new truck for all this grief that clearly couldn't have been prevented by reading and understanding the warranty agreement and following instructions.

You screwed up and aren't owning it. No pity from this guy. If the dealership made the mistakes you claim they did that's also your fault for letting it happen.

Does it hurt? To be so entitled? :roflsquared:

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
You have to take their word for it because you didn't stick around and ask the tech. It's protocol to clear codes after work is done. Unfortunate but that's what it is.

That sucks but it was part of the normal diagnostic plan. They should have offered to reimburse you for it if the codes came back. If the codes did not, then it would have been settled at that.

Yes you should initially because there could have been a mistake made and nothing at all wrong with the vehicle. A reimbursement should have been offered if the vehicle passed that test, which it did.

Those two codes are so closely related I bet it was there and your mechanic's tool couldn't see it. You could ask him if he's ever seen a P1521 code before. I'm sure he's changed lots of oil pressure sensors.

Basically because you couldn't follow instructions. If you don't follow the warranty process all the way through, the work isn't warranted.

Hey, one Hawkeye to another, don;t do that text colour thing anymore.
Thought I was having a flashback or something.
Seriously, it kind of freaked me out, a little bit there.

Go easy on us old farts, keep it monochromatic . . .

David776895

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Congratulations OP, you've reached the 3rd grade level. You can plug in a doohicky and read what it says :happy107: Work on understanding what those codes actually mean and how a diagnostic plan works. A "dealer diagnostic scan" is only part of the diagnostics. In this case changing the oil was a test. Live and learn.
No need to be like this, not everyone knows as much about trucks as you might.

David776895

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Basically because you couldn't follow instructions. If you don't follow the warranty process all the way through, the work isn't warranted.
Go easy on the colors and go easy on the OP. This was entertaining at the beginning, now is just getting rude.

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I believe the OP on this one. One time this service manager starting arguing (yelling) at me because she said we needed to have our 2010 Dodge Journey's oil changed every 3,000 miles and I kept saying that was the most ridiculous thing I heard and that this wasn't 1980. The next time we went there that service manager no longer worked there. I've definitely seen very very bad service depts at dealerships. If you don't know your ****, they will straight up lie to your face for sure if needed. The OP's story is very plausible to me.

MANual_puller, are you sure you don't work for Dewildt?....brother to Ed?.....your best friend is Eric?....know their dog?....mow their lawns?.....anything??? You're playing one hell of a Devil's advocate....seriously into it. MOPAR4LIFE 13 doesn't need to come back with you around.

MANual_puller

Shade tree grease monkey
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Moose
Engine
5.7L hemi
No need to be like this, not everyone knows as much about trucks as you might.

There's no need for this whole thread yet here we are. It doesn't matter what I may or may not know. What matters is how much more the op knows than people that work with vehicles every day. Clearly a lot :naughty:

He takes constructive criticism well too :roflsquared:

MANual_puller

Shade tree grease monkey
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Moose
Engine
5.7L hemi
I believe the OP on this one. One time this service manager starting arguing (yelling) at me because she said we needed to have our 2010 Dodge Journey's oil changed every 3,000 miles and I kept saying that was the most ridiculous thing I heard and that this wasn't 1980. The next time we went there that service manager no longer worked there. I've definitely seen very very bad service depts at dealerships. If you don't know your ****, they will straight up lie to your face for sure if needed. The OP's story is very plausible to me.

MANual_puller, are you sure you don't work for Dewildt?....brother to Ed?.....your best friend is Eric?....know their dog?....mow their lawns?.....anything??? You're playing one hell of a Devil's advocate....seriously into it. MOPAR4LIFE 13 doesn't need to come back with you around.

Nah, I just love ******* in the cheerios of people that feel entitled. There were enough warning signs. Definitely should have been handled differently. Op just wants a result and won't learn anything from it. Eventually we'll get a bad report from him about how terrible peel is too :naughty:

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
Hey, one Hawkeye to another, don;t do that text colour thing anymore.
Thought I was having a flashback or something.
Seriously, it kind of freaked me out, a little bit there.

Go easy on us old farts, keep it monochromatic . . .

I'm a Huskies/Cougars fan, but I say "Amen" to that. At least he didn't do the yellow text thing, that's just so unreadable it gives me a headache. I think MANual is using hindsight to make himself look like a genius. If I were in the OP's place, I may have done the same thing. I'd probably never go back to Wildt, and make sure they get every penny's worth of bad publicity from me. That said, if Peel folds, he better be prepared to travel for future warranty work. No one's going to win here, long term.

David776895

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nah, I just love ******* in the cheerios of people that feel entitled. There were enough warning signs. Definitely should have been handled differently. Op just wants a result and won't learn anything from it. Eventually we'll get a bad report from him about how terrible peel is too :naughty:
I don't think the OP feels entitled to anything. I think you just like to argue with people regardless if you are right or wrong. Like a hobby [emoji3]

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

OP
OP
C

czardog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, now that I've been told to drink the kool-aid and believe everything you're saying I see the light! You deserve a new truck for all this grief that clearly couldn't have been prevented by reading and understanding the warranty agreement and following instructions.

You screwed up and aren't owning it. No pity from this guy. If the dealership made the mistakes you claim they did that's also your fault for letting it happen.

Does it hurt? To be so entitled? :roflsquared:

Congratulations, you work or have worked at a dealership service department and you want everyone to know it. We’re all very proud of you son.

Yes, you only have my side of the story, that’s doesn’t make it your job to fabricate the other side. Yes you’ve made some good points about what the inner-workings are at Chrysler to warranty a claim, but now you’re flat out making things up. Because if those are the inner workings, not a single stitch of it was explained to me at Dewildt. And if it was, we obviously wouldn’t be here right now.

1.There were no such “instructions” given about a grander diagnostics plan. I was simply told that I had bad oil in the car because I didn’t get an oil change from their location. Period. See the period? that indicates the end of the sentence. That’s not the place for you to infer or speculate.

2. When asked about code P0520 they didn’t even acknowledge the code, and dismissed it entirely. They told me I had bad oil, it caused the P0520 and it wouldn’’t come back. End of story.

3. The Diagnostic fee was not offered to me either. I had to argue for it. Because i think it’s criminal to charge a diagnostic fee on a warrantied vehicle, and judging by the reaction of many in this forum I’m not the only one. And they never told me i had to come back to their dealer. read this part slowly because you’re not getting it. They said “fine if the P0520 light comes back, we’ll give you the diagnostic fee back” If you want to nitpick about instructions, when was i instructed to come back to them? I agree under normal circumstances i would come back to them, but these people were argumentative, rude, and i’m still not entirely positive that that Bad oil code even popped up, and if it did, why clear the codes when they said they wouldn’t. A third party NEEDED to be brought in.

4. You’re creating a narrative that the dealer was willing to reimburse me for the oil change if we continue’d working through the diagnostic plan. That sure sounds swell…. but it didn’t happen. nice try.

I’m entitled? and will eventually complain about Peel? That’s quite the narrative you got going on there. Name calling and pure speculation. Do you see a lot of threads on here from me??? Lots of complaining? Over the years I’ve owned Infiniti’s, Lexuses, a Wrangler, an F150 and a now a Ram. I was part of a forum for each of those cars. My nickname was either some variation ‘czardog' or ‘ceeze’ . Verify the forums, not a single negative dealer story. I even explained in my post my hesitation to speak negatively about this dealer.

I’m a very loyal person to a business that treats me well. Even my mechanic, I’ve been loyal to him for over 10 years because he’s fair and honest. Do you think i’m just getting free **** from him all the time? Use your head. I’ve gotten some pretty nasty bills from that rascal too but the repairs were all explained, and justified.

As long as we’re speculating… I bet you get beaten up in bars all the time for your “constructive criticism”.

jotin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So a p0520 code came on and they blamed the oil? Wow , you should tell them that whatever technician diagnosed it should do their job and look at TSB 18-034-14 REV. A, It is the first article that comes up in dealerconnect when p0520 is searched, Wich is one of the first steps in our troubleshooting process. It never diagnoses a p0520 sensor (CIRCUIT) code as an actual sensor. This ****** me off, as a technician it ****** me off and as a customer it ****** me off. People are lazy, some techs are lazy and some just think they know it all and they just do whatever comes to their head to just get some money. Here is a screen shot of the bulletin.
b4338c9f92139b1f8a35aa48d1bbeea9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
So a p0520 code came on and they blamed the oil? Wow , you should tell them that whatever technician diagnosed it should do their job and look at TSB 18-034-14 REV. A, It is the first article that comes up in dealerconnect when p0520 is searched, Which is one of the first steps in our troubleshooting process. It never diagnoses a p0520 sensor (CIRCUIT) code as an actual sensor. This ****** me off, as a technician it ****** me off and as a customer it ****** me off. People are lazy, some techs are lazy and some just think they know it all and they just do whatever comes to their head to just get some money. Here is a screen shot of the bulletin.
Thank you for that post Jotin,

My wife was a service advisor for a number of years (Dalmer-Chrysler days) and both of us found what happened to the OP to come down to a bad dealer experience ( Provided everything that's been posted is accurate ).

What is the red flag to us against the dealer is that there seemed to be an automatic assumption on the dealer tech/advisor's part against the customer as negligent/at fault in the mentioned oil code. Especially for something that can't be proven such as incorrect oil in the engine vs a defective sensor.

IMO, Jotin just put the final nail in against the dealer with that TSB. Seems to reinforce the OP's comments. His Peel work order also shows that they were able to change the sensor without changing the oil so no reason to charge the customer for an oil change vs changing the sensor under warranty.

Its a shame that the OP went along with all this vs standing his ground, but hopefully he has learned something from all this. (I left a vehicle at a dealership for almost a month once when they tried to deny warranty work for swapping a factory radio with a higher trim level radio as a cause of a faulty bcm when I had 1000 miles left on my warranty. I had to contact the dealership's owner via email and the regional brand Rep to get progress).

Still no reply from the dealer Rep, huh?

At OP, why not add a "poll" to see what the opinion is from everyone?
(ie side with the OP or side with the dealer?)

Not sure why Kyle is stalking the OP but I got an Apple for him. Seriously though, I get it. Its to see if someone is just dropping by every forum they can find to complain.

From my Up All Night Sleep All Day Gs7 on Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

czardog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well you have 0 posts on the Wrangler forum Jeep Wrangler Forum - View Profile: czardog

0 posts in your George Michael forum This just in: czardog joins our Forums... - George Michael Forums

1 post for your 1995 Saturn Compression test '95 SL2 150k whats normal? - SaturnFans.com Forums

Here's one where you are angry at Microsoft, similar to your dealership story https://social.microsoft.com/Forums...f7aab6/genuine-windows?forum=genuinewindowsxp

Sorry about the emphysema you have stem cells for emphysema (Emphysema / COPD) 4/1/2008 1145187

Lol that's hilarious.

Needless to say, I feel compelled to clarify that I never owned a Saturn, use Microsoft, have Emphysema or listen to George Michael! Haha not that there's anything wrong with that.

OP
OP
C

czardog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So a p0520 code came on and they blamed the oil? Wow , you should tell them that whatever technician diagnosed it should do their job and look at TSB 18-034-14 REV. A, It is the first article that comes up in dealerconnect when p0520 is searched, Wich is one of the first steps in our troubleshooting process. It never diagnoses a p0520 sensor (CIRCUIT) code as an actual sensor. This ****** me off, as a technician it ****** me off and as a customer it ****** me off. People are lazy, some techs are lazy and some just think they know it all and they just do whatever comes to their head to just get some money. Here is a screen shot of the bulletin.

Thanks Jotin, very informative.

Can you clarify if this bulletin still applies if the P0520 comes on in conjunction with a P1521 that they claim came on?

jotin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P1521 is usually resolved with a PCM flash. It's actually a separate bulletin, not always applying to vehicle. But I know on the Rams there can be a flash update for the PCM that makes that particular code go away. I believe that for incorrect oil type? I see it dang near every day. It's a flash I usually do always. I'll see if I can find the flash bulletin

jotin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wasn't able to find it. If I get one in here soon I'll post up what it is. But I've seen it 100 times.

David776895

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So now the next question is who else will be introduced to this thread to try and shift it back into the dealers corner??? Ha.
Perfectly said... who's the next troll.

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk