HELP , tailights. 2001 ram 2500 5.9

Discussion in 'Audio & Electronics' started by Haul15k, Dec 20, 2016.

1. Haul15k

Haul15k Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.9 magnum
    Ok so my right side rear brake light and blinker do not come on .
    Left side rear and both fronts work fine .
    I changed both rear bulbs , even put the bulbs in the left side to double check if they worked .
    I took the connector and put it on the left side ( it did not work )
    Switch the left side connector to the right side , it did work .
    So I believe the issue is something with the connector from the bulbs that leads to the main wiring . Where do I find this part or is there a way to check to see if it can be fixed ?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
  2. dapepper9

dapepper9 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.9L V8
    If you have a trailer harness, pull the connectors up under the bed and check for corrosion. Very common

3. NewRamUser02

NewRamUser02 Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    4.7L V8
    Hello Hulk15k, I had a similar problem with my 1500 4.7 Ram. The stop light on the passenger side was not coming on. Checked the bulb and it was good. A new bulk did not solve the problem. Checked the voltage to the socket terminal and it was good too. When I visually checked the socket plastic casing around the terminal that powers the stop light I noticed the plastic molded casing had been overheated causing it to bulge and push the bulb pin out far enough to make very loose contact causing it to be intermittent and sometimes to not to work at all. My quick solution was to clean around the socket contact bulb entry point to get rid of all excess swollen plastic around the female contact and pinched the female contact receptacle to create a positive conductive contact again. After that the problem only resurged once more. I always try not to keep my feet on the brake pedal too long. I don't know the cause of the failure.