Hemi Tick??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kotta390

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just did an oil change last week using the wix XP (the larger diameter model. It's a bit of a pain to get past the steering rack, but doable) and Penn platinum. Still got a little tick at first start, but quiets down pretty quick. As with anything though, "YMMV"...

What is "YMMV"?

RodRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Rumor has it that you through tantrums when your buddies move to Redline. Go ahead call me a liar and we will see if we just can't get that email posted, you idiot, lol.

People that tell Lies are liar's that's a fact! I don't give a tinkers damn what oil, filter or any other part anyone's uses but when someone like you relentlessly peddles something that could void some poor guys warranty for using it because you failed to inform him that aspect of using redline oil. then I think someone should speak up, call me a idiot , any damn grown ass man that refers to himself in the third party has issues beyond what we see on a truck forum I'm sure. Redline oil has its place, its great oil and anyone can go read my posts and see not once have I ever said redline was not good, only that's its thick for its grade and that it has ZERO certifications required by Chrysler to be compliant with whats required to keep your warranty in effect. Which once more you refuse to talk about.

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Keep hacking whatever I don't care, one time worm did you or did you not complain recently that a member here was going back to Redline? It is either yes or no, not a bunch of who shot john.

I don't at all refuse to talk about it, redline recommends their oil for every Chrysler requirement that I know of, and Chrysler has never denied any Ram for using Redline, unless you have different info?

Last edited:

15_RaM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My truck does this sometimes. Annoying i only have 15000km. I think they all do it. Have a friend with one it does it too. Seems to only happen at startup once in awhile

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

RodRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Keep hacking whatever I don't care, one time worm did you or did you not complain recently that a member here was going back to Redline?

I don't at all refuse to talk about it, redline recommends their oil for every Chrysler requirement that I know of, and Chrysler has never denied any Ram for using Redline, unless you have different info?

Ah, bula thinks its time to call him a new name... Worm :roflsquared: youre so predictable !! Nope, could care less if everybody or nobody uses redline or any other brand for that matter. You really should have been taught if you did go to school to read with understanding, Never said Chrysler would void a warranty for using it only that by using it they have grounds to do so if they wanted too. And there is a topic on this very forum of a guy with a 2014 ram truck whose hemi blew and because he could not prove he serviced the truck in the specified intervals they denied his warranty claim, so they do deny claims over oil.

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Nope, could care less if everybody or nobody uses redline or any other brand for that matter.

You Sir are a liar, lol. Hemi395 has tried to find an answer for his tick other then redline, which I supported. I hoped Amsoil would have worked for him, and said as much. Unfortunately for him he had a tick with 5w20 and 5w30 Amsoil and was considering going back to Redline. Something which you objected to him personally. So the guy goes back to Redline and boom, his tick is gone again. But, he doesn't like the drama so he doesn't even post his experience even though it is the dead truth and can help other forum members. This goes backs months Rod, why the hell would you care about the dude going back to redline?

Hopefully I don't loose a buddy for saying as much, but this retard hour ******** needs to stop. U R Exposed, I leave it to him to validity or not. Hack

RodRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
If he changed to redline and is happy I'm happy for him cause he's a good guy in my book. Hell I might even try redline myself one day like ive said a hundred times its great oil and my only objection to you and your relentless pushing of it down peoples throats was you never tell them it could impact a warranty claim.

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
If he changed to redline and is happy I'm happy for him cause he's a good guy in my book. Hell I might even try redline myself one day like ive said a hundred times its great oil and my only objection to you and your relentless pushing of it down peoples throats was you never tell them it could impact a warranty claim.

Perhaps you should go back and read the syn thread. I have been upfront about every oil. For the longest time only one oil met their spec PUP, did you spend a bunch of time "informing" everyone about their warranty could be denied for all of the other oils? U R an agenda ridden hack.

RodRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Perhaps you should go back and read the syn thread. I have been upfront about every oil. For the longest time only one oil met their spec PUP, did you spend a bunch of time "informing" everyone about their warranty could be denied for all of the other oils? U R an agenda ridden hack.

More of burlas ********, nowhere in the owners manual 2015 version does it state Pennzoil in any type is the only allowed oil, that's ******** and illegal to boot. A company can not mandate the use of a BRAND unless they furnish it to the consumer. What it does say is to use a oil that is API certified and for the 5.7 hemi carries Chryslers MS6395 required certification. Both of which redline has neither but many other oils do.

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
At this point, if people buy into the **** you say, that is on them.

RodRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Guess its over then till next time...:argue: :sparta::roflsquared:

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Here is my opinion on the oil & warranty. The dealership {Service Dept} where I bought my Ram informed me---> In the past 27 years {With new autos still under warranty} they have only voided one.

Remember All dealerships have different egos & attitudes! None are the same just like our 5.7L hemis.

Here is what I was told-->The first thing the service dept does in the case of an engine failure under warranty is check the level of oil in the oil pan itself {This is recorded}.

Then once the engine is opened up and inspections begins looking for the reason for failure. The visual inspection of the inside of the motor & parts are recorded {looking for OCI neglect}. In reality any owner who changes his oil according to the OLM or more often with any name brand off the shelf oil will keep the engine virtually spotless for 100K miles or More & Protected from excess engine wear.

In some rare cases an oil sample will be sent off. There is NO test present that will tell you or the dealership what brand of oil the customer was using! The UOA will tell the dealership-->At the time of the sample what the viscosity of the oil is. Also remember some oils will become thicker as the mileage increases. Some oils will shear to a thinner viscosity. Never an accurate reading of what viscosity the oil was when poured in.

Just think of the millions of new autos who pull into the quick lube places every day all over the country whom are having their warranty possibly voided. I promise just because it says on that fill nozzle Quaker State 5W-20 does not mean the end of the black hose back in the back {that you can't see} is plumbed into a 55 gal drum of Quaker State 5W-20. For that matter there are millions of women who pull in and have NO Dam clue what oil is spec and tells them to put in what ever is popular. A Voided
Warranty!

Remember the 1 new auto I mentioned above? The warranty was voided due too 3 qts of oil being in the oil pan at the time of failure. The quick lube place didn't get the drain plug tight before the owner left town for a trip. The plug was only finger tight.

Oil specifications are very easy to pass here in the USA. Dexos being the toughest If I remember correctly. Now the Euro market is a alot different. All Popular Name brand off the shelf Conventional & Synthetic can pass these. 3/4 of these oil will protect and keep the motor clean & protect the critical moving parts from wear for well over 100K miles with proper maintenance.

With all this spewed out--->Just remember every service dept is different and will have different guidlines and procedures they follow.

So I was mainly told the Main thing my service dept looks at is the Level of the Oil in the Oil Pan as well as a Visual Inspection of the Oil. Then they move on!

I best cover my base here: If the service tech drains any oil from the pan or drops the pan and there is enough oil to inspect. If the oil still looks clean but is some what of a {Thick} Viscosity--->Say a 15W-40/5W-50/10W-60/20W-50 & so on-->That just might throw up a red flag.

Last edited:

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When I brought my truck into the dealer for ticking, the first thing they asked was if I had ever had the oil changed. Truck had about 7500 miles on it at the time. Not only do most of the OLM on these trucks say the oil is still got at that mileage, but I had changed it myself 3 times by then. They asked for receipts which I made copies of and gave to them. After that there was no question if the oil was ok. Of course then they said it was "normal Hemi noise" but my point here is that if you have receipts they'll at least be willing to work with you in most cases.

Another thing I was told by a tech at a Ford dealer I know is when you bring your vehicle into the dealer, take 15-20 mins to clean it up beforehand(if it's not already clean). If a tech gets into a car with trash everywhere and the steering wheel is sticky, they're going to have a different attitude toward your vehicle than if it's clean.

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
My Low miles 05 LX Hemi with Milled Inertia Heads and good length push rods is a Hemi Ticker Champ when its warmed up, but My DD 14 Ram is the Quietist Hemi I have ever heard, I like it so much I decided to keep it Bone Stock (For Now). Danny

Reactions: SyN

BlueRT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
CDJR Service

When I brought my truck into the dealer for ticking, the first thing they asked was if I had ever had the oil changed. Truck had about 7500 miles on it at the time. Not only do most of the OLM on these trucks say the oil is still got at that mileage, but I had changed it myself 3 times by then. They asked for receipts which I made copies of and gave to them. After that there was no question if the oil was ok. Of course then they said it was "normal Hemi noise" but my point here is that if you have receipts they'll at least be willing to work with you in most cases.

Another thing I was told by a tech at a Ford dealer I know is when you bring your vehicle into the dealer, take 15-20 mins to clean it up beforehand(if it's not already clean). If a tech gets into a car with trash everywhere and the steering wheel is sticky, they're going to have a different attitude toward your vehicle than if it's clean.

Exactly! I worked for a CDJR dealership service dept. for 12 years as a second career. Only 2 vehicles I'm aware of had the warranty revoked. One was a 300c that had 2 spun rod bearings. The oil pan had about 2 quarts of oil in it and the oil filter still had the factory paint marking on it! The car was about 2.5 years old with 23000 miles on it.
The other vehicle was a Jeep Wrangler that was only running on 5 cylinders with a flashing check engine light. I can't remember the details of the engine tear down but I do remember the owner had tried to pull a fast one by topping off a low oil level to the point it was overfull on the dipstick. It was going to need a new short block to fix this mess. The owner brought in his receipts that Jiffy Lube had printed for him. His last oil and filter change was 15000 miles ago with conventional oil.
Moral of the story is Save Your Receipts and do your schedule maintenance before and/or when it is due. The very first thing a tech will do on a suspected internal engine problem is pull the dipstick! Warranty will be denied on abused vehicles. If your oil is in the normal operating range, you have your oil and filter receipts, internal engine inspection does not reveal an oil sludge issue, vehicle has NOT been obviously abused, and you are polite and business like with the dealership you should not have any issues for a warranty claim. As Syn said it doesn't hurt to "NOT" be a stranger at your dealership!

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
One thing I forgot to mention was that those receipts I had were for PYB and PP so no non API oil was use at that point. But I think you would run into a much bigger problem with warranty if you used a cheap, questionable, conventional oil with no API cert...

RodRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
One thing I forgot to mention was that those receipts I had were for PYB and PP so no non API oil was use at that point. But I think you would run into a much bigger problem with warranty if you used a cheap, questionable, conventional oil with no API cert...

Or a high priced non certified one too? lol sorry couldn't resist! :roflsquared: Best to just save all receipts, as much as some of us have bought oil and filters we could document a fleet of ram trucks!

Last edited:

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Or a high priced non certified one too? lol sorry couldn't resist! :roflsquared: Best to just save all receipts, as much as some of us have bought oil and filters we could document a fleet of ram trucks!
Yeah no kidding they can take their pick! I could produce a receipt for Amsoil XL 5w20, Amsoil SS 5w20, Amsoil SS 5w30, Redline 5w20 although that one was from last fall...