Here's a Stupid Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Tulecreeper

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Limited slip and traction control. The question of the OP.
So , what does that make your question?
I am the OP. Limited slip is always on, you have no control over it. My question was solely about traction control.

Different Drummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
OK, before I get flammed let me say that everything I type here is entirely from memory. I am an old fart and that's my excuse! And, I am NOT going to research this topic again!
I also own a 2WD RAM with LSD. I have come to feel as though we are odd balls. I ordered mine that way and I had to approach four dealers before I found one who would order it for me. The one who did thought I was crazy.
Sorry, I digress.
I see you (OP) have a 2500 RAM. I have a 1500 so all this just might be moot. My RAM uses a clutch type LSD. Seems if my memory is correct the 2500 uses a helical gear or "Torsen" type LSD. This could in fact make a difference between the 1500 / 2500 when electing to turn off traction control. I Say "it could" as I don't have a clue if it does or not. Another thing to consider is that using the button to turn off traction control is not the same between 4X4 and 2X4 vehicles. My 2 WD 1500 does not have the two options available to 4X4 RAM's. There is no complete off like the 4X4 can get in low range. ( not owning a 4X4, I think I have that right! ) 2WD has just one setting, on or off. When off it will still do the brake application dance which assists in motivating the LSD to engage. Generally a good thing. However, also when turned off it will NOT limit the power to the rear wheels like it does when left on under normal driving. That is what that button does on a 2WD 1500 RAM. I suspect that it could be similar on the 2500 RAM. Soooo, if I am hauling a boat out on a slippery boat ramp I will deactivate the traction control. This assists in getting my LSD ( clutch type ) engaged BUT will not limit the power available to the rear wheels.
Is all of this the same with the Torsen style LSD? Darned if I know but
I suspect that it could be.

Last edited: