HID Wiring Harness?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rammpage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
so im looking at doing a set of HID's on the ram, ive had them on every other vehicle ive owned... ive got a 13 sport with projectors.. do they make a plug and play kit? or do i need to use the harness? we did hids on my brothers 08 and he ended up using it and it turned out to be a huge PITA.. also do they make a plug and play LED kit? if i decide to go that route

GP4L

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
13+ Ram

A lot of people on here, myself included, go with Retro for HID kits. There's no "simple" install for the main headlights. It requires a very simple modification to the dust cap on the back of the headlight assembly, but it's not that bad at all. The fog light HID kit is extremely easy to install. Mount the components and plug it in. And Jeremy (the owner) has outstanding customer service.

OP
OP
R

rammpage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I wasn't looking to do retro, too much money right now lol on my 04 rumble bee I did hids with the anti flicker/warning cancel and it worked fine, would it be the same deal? Plug and play? My brother had to do this wiring harness on his 08, it was a legit pain in the balls

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
Probably not going to work. Ddm makes a canbus kit but it might not be 100%. The relay isn't too bad. Power, ground and zip tie the resistors. You really don't even need to modify the covers. I have the two bulb wires hanging out the bottom then the cap screwed down. No holes.

GP4L

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I wasn't looking to do retro, too much money right now lol on my 04 rumble bee I did hids with the anti flicker/warning cancel and it worked fine, would it be the same deal? Plug and play? My brother had to do this wiring harness on his 08, it was a legit pain in the balls

I would strongly recommend saving yourself a massive headache, and put the $150 together to buy a HID kit, from Retroshop, that actually works. But hey, you do you.

TRXHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2014 with factory projectors. Get an HID kit with the CANBUS ballasts and you will be ok. I was actually able to fit my whole kit INSIDE the projectors....it's worked flawlessly for 2+ years...

15342589792_6c103edfd8_h.jpg

CuylerTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn Mega Cab 4x4
Engine
6.7L
I have a 2014 with factory projectors. Get an HID kit with the CANBUS ballasts and you will be ok. I was actually able to fit my whole kit INSIDE the projectors....it's worked flawlessly for 2+ years...

Not to knock you, but from personal experience and talking to JJ @ Retro, it is not advised to keep the ballasts inside the housings. I mounted mine to the frame rail in the front by the grill.

OP
OP
R

rammpage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi

you didnt use a harness with those??

OP
OP
R

rammpage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
ok here comes the stupid question!!! please feel free to place your palm on your forehead for this one!!! 35w or 55w!? i never owned a vehicle with projectors so dont want to melt them.. also how is the light output with projectors and hids?

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
He did not use a relay with the ones tucked in the headlight.

I don't think there is a huge difference in output between 35 & 55w. I have 55w with no heat problems. I think the 55w drop the Kelvin down a bit so a 6000k will be more like 5500k color.

My projectors are retrofitted with fxr projectors so that should be about maximum output. Selling the whole setup soon. Will be pricey, pm if interested and I can get some pics.

grozier

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

Do those ballasts not get hot? I should have shoved mine in there.

2015 ram sport 4x4

GP4L

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
ok here comes the stupid question!!! please feel free to place your palm on your forehead for this one!!! 35w or 55w!? i never owned a vehicle with projectors so dont want to melt them.. also how is the light output with projectors and hids?

Light output with Retro's 35w 5000k is great. 55w will probably be better, but your bulb lifespan will be shorter, and oncoming traffic might not appreciate it.

Be realistic about your driving situation. If you're out in the southern country most of the time with low traffic, minimal street lights, and minimal street signs, the 55w kit is probably worth the shorter bulb life for the extra output. If you live around places that are usually well lit at night, and has other cars on the road frequently, go with the 35w. Not only for the other drivers, but also because of the additional light reflecting off signs and whatnot along the road - right back in your face. Same thing if you live in a region that has snowy winters.

Last edited:

danmp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I got a 35w hid kit from eBay , but according to any reviews they are really great, and also every local shop are selling those.

I give them a try after my 5 years old kit from spencer hid burn out.

For now I have my kit in my headlight since january and no problem at all.

Also they are cheap and that the most sharp hid kit I got, also they get to full brightness really fast and color is really accurate. Their ball shaped bulb seems to do a really good job in reflector kit. They also have regular shaped bulb, I guess for the projector.

Search for Hyluxtek ballast and Cn Light ball shaped bulb review.

Hyluxtek CN Light Canbus 2A88 Xenon HID Conversion KIT H1 H3 H7 H9 H11 9005 9006 | eBay

They are so good they begin to sell counterfeit ballast copied from hyluxtek.

IMG_20160423_214646_zpsxtbqebrc.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rammpage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
i had 35s in my titan, people were asking me why they didnt look that bright.. i switched them to 55w's and it made a huge difference, the only problem was that the 55's set my foglights on fire so i swapped them for led pods... but that was a totally different truck

gretz06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Dodge Ram 1500 - Big Horn
Engine
Hemi
Non projector 2016

Little off topic. Sorry if I'm in the wrong spot.

I have the non-projector head lights. Anyone know of or have converted these with the retro shop kit?

I'm not looking to drop 700+ Full switch. But also don't want to spend the 215 if it's gonna look like sh^t in the non projection housing. Also anyone hear of this melting the stock housing?

Thanks guys!

Ps: I second the rack Jeremy is awesome. Took the time to walk me though the entire process!