Hood liner getting wet after wash/rain

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
C

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Dont forget to have them check and document your brake controller if you have the factory one:

http://www.ramforum.com/f119/brake_controller-71708/

Thanks for this information. I just noticed the white crusty stuff yesterday. There s÷ms to be an awful lot to come from the washer nozzles but it makes sense. Im waiting for my 1st oil change to bring it in. Fortunately this is the only issue so far.

2robinhood

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 3500 SRW crew cab
Engine
6.4l gas
I do find it interesting that everybody here who has complained so far has been a 2015 Heavy Duty model.

I've just noticed it on mine also.
A 2016 Ram 3500 and I have 1300 miles on it.
I think I have only used the windshield washer one time.

IMG_20151025_123827338_zpsvxegqwtn.jpg

IMG_20151025_123833913_HDR_zpsw9bm5qp5.jpg

OP
OP
C

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
One time is all it takes. I pulled the liner off mine and watched for leaking as the fluid was sprayed. Seems like its a common issue with these nozzles. Unless , you just got moisture under there somehow. But, if you remove the liner, youll see the leaking. I bought some of those replacement clips off ebay for $7 just to have. But, the dealer will replace anyway.

SouthernBoy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Another washer-connection leaking..... :flame:

Hood-Leak-01_zpshterblfv.jpg

Hood-Leak-02_zpswypmnils.jpg

Hood-Leak-12_zpsxbais2uv.jpg

Hood-Leak-14_zps9j4piild.jpg

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
I don't think I have this problem, but I dont useally pop my hood after a rain storm or washing my truck.

To the OP, Did they change the engine cover on the 2015s?

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
I finally got around to making my appointment for this coming Saturday for them to look at it. The service adviser lady had the standard "first time they seen it" line come out of her mouth.

OP
OP
C

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yes they replaced the liner and both nozzles. Thinking many others are going to have the problem and just haven't noticed yet.

I don't think I have this problem, but I dont useally pop my hood after a rain storm or washing my truck.

To the OP, Did they change the engine cover on the 2015s?

OP
OP
C

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Well, after yeserdays posts, i decided to take a look under the hood and guess what i saw. Only a little bit, but im gonna have to watch it. Been a while since they replaced the nozzles and liner. Idk if its the right nozzle leaking (assuming it is). this is been a problem for a few now. I havent checked yet, but im wondering if the nozzles are the same as previous years cause never seen this mentioned before. If mine is leaking again, what are the chances of it being installed incorrectly. Possible recall???? Otherwise, its just keeping under my hood nice and moist and starting the rusting process sooner. Btw, I haven't used my washer fluid much since I had it roadies so......

Attachments

• IMAG0158.jpg
    IMAG0158.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
OP
OP
C

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Not trying to be a wise ass, but its not a ford. My hood is not aluminum. I didnt know recalls were only safety related. So, a manufacturers defect that has nothing to do with safety cant be recalled. You would have to go through a warranty / lemon process?

Padilen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I'm told and I have 2 hoods one with the acorn damage and it's replacement they are aluminum. A magnet will not stick to either. I originally thought they were plastic. But plastic doesn't dent. So if their not aluminum they most be some other non metallic material.
The hood liner is just to quiet the under hood noise. Not required and many remove. It can get wet for many reasons. I'd have a hard time believing that anywhere it's in writing that a hood liner has to be water / stain proof. So I don't think it would hit the mark for "defect". I don't think you'd get far with lemon law. You might get it replaced once under warranty. You most really dislike your pickup to want to have a recall / lemon law'd. Have you tried selling it ?

Last edited:

Padilen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok I can show you 2012 1500 hood is aluminum
Here is my repair bill
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449689159.471904.jpg
I know it says economy but give me a minute to get back to my pole barn and I'll snap the pic of box with # with my factory acorn dented hood in it. I request Chrysler parts and body shop did use Chrysler part not the aftermarket my insurance adjuster claimed would save money. Yep MOPAR was cheaper.

Last edited:

Padilen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449689789.665174.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1449689806.399763.jpg
And if you look in handle hole you can see my old flame red hood - can't see the dents[emoji1]

OP
OP
C

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Your assumptions are wrong. I love my truck. The liner is not the source of the problem. Going to the dealer for the same problems is frustrating. It's obviously bad nozzles if it keeps happening. I have had problems with the rear parking sensors not working correctly too (probably half the time I get the beeping). Not to mention, the brake controller issue. Those are 2 separate threads I am in. I don't expect all these issues for the money they charge. I know it could be worse but What do you do when u keep going back for the same issues?

The hood liner is just to quite the under hood noise. Not required and many remove. It can get wet for many reasons. I'd have a hard time believing that anywhere it's in writing that a hood liner has to be water / stain proof. So I don't think it would hit the mark for "defect". I don't think you'd get far with lemon law. You might get it replaced once under warranty. You most really dislike your pickup to want to have a recall / lemon law'd. Have you tried selling it ?

Padilen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Assumptions?
Returning for the same issue would be frustrating. I'm not sure it's obviously bad nozzles. The title of the thread is about wash/rain. I've seen stained liners under hoods without nozzles in the hood. I'd take down the liner and tape paper towels under hood. Then spray windshield washers. If wet then yep, nozzles.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Well, a liner shouldnt be stained after a few months of being built. I thought that the moisture was coming from the rain/or washing the truck, hence the title of the thread. A member pointed out that it had to be washer fluid from the substance that was on the liner. Could u imagine how bad it would look down the road. I know the liner doesnt afffect anything except sound), but if you were to remove it, you would be getting all that fluid on your engine. Even though its not much, it still can cause problems depending on where the fluid is going and how much (ie: an electrical connection). If others are having the same issue, it is most likely the nozzles. I can/will check it again when i get a chance. I see another visit to the dealer in the near future. I have already been there several times for this and my brake controller which still hasnt been fixed. Thats a whole other issue. This is unacceptable for a $50k truck. Although, I love the truck and its perfect for my purposes, I dont see myself buying new again and spending this kind of money when I can just get this kind of quality from a used vehicle.

Padilen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Pull the tubes off the nozzles and see if tubes or nozzles have crap in them. I've seen a lot of plugged nozzles. I've seen plugged lines too but in much older vehicles that owners used who knows what for fluids.

SouthernBoy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I'd take down the liner and tape paper towels under hood. Then spray windshield washers. If wet then yep, nozzles.

I didnt need to use any paper towels, I took the liner down, lowered the hood just to the point of not locking it down, ran the washer pump for about 30 seconds, slowly reopened the hood and there was fluid on the engine cover and even a drop still on the elbow. I realize there are lots of ways a liner can get stained, but if you KNOW the washer lines leak, it just makes sense to get it fixed and not have a partially soaked liner up there all the time.

Hood-Leak-14_zps9j4piild.jpg

Padilen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I never said not to fix. I'm curious as to what's causing them to leak.
I'd still lay something over engine or tape something on hood.