How do you add CD player??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pikeville904

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ignition Orange Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've got a 2015 CC 1500. It is the Ignition Orange edition. It came without a CD changer, and I'd like to add one. I haven't found a factory changer or even how to install one.
Can one be installed? does the computer have to be formatted ot accept one?? Where can a man find one and does Mopar have a direct fit?? I know it's supposed to be put into the console, and have no problem with that, but like I say, haven't found one and when I asked at the dealership, they looked at me like I was crazy. Said the they are going to the digital systems. I don't do the IPod's andf that sorts thing and have a collection of music I like to listen to, and would like the player in the truck.
Any help?????

RodRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
yes that's what they come with, it is mounted in the console, saw one at the dealer.

oe542bob

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi eTorque 5.7
Too bad we aren't closer. My truck came with it. I would swap out the pieces with ya. I won't ever use it!

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
That is the Ram "plug and play" CD changer and the only OEM one available.

You could go aftermarket but I'm not sure what vehicle specific harness you can get to do that.

The War Wagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 Magnum
Didn't they offer a factory in-dash 6 CD unit in the mid-2000's? My '07 Jeep Commander came with one.

Would that NOT 'plug 'n' play' with a 2015 Ram? :hmm:

CuylerTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn Mega Cab 4x4
Engine
6.7L
Easiest way and best bet would be to find a center console harness from a truck that came with the CD player, and then it would be plug and play. That's what I did with mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
I have a frotn bench seat with a factory cd player under the bottom part. AM wanting to get rid of it but have no idea how big a bother , it would be, or if there is a plain tub I can use to replace the tub that teh cd player.

anyone got idea on this?

would really like to the extra storage.

OP
OP
P

Pikeville904

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks folks,, I had looked, but couldn't even find the link that's posted. Will eventually get one, but gonna have to wait until after Santa to accumulate the funds..

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Don't know where you are, but would love to swap the parts out...

lets be clear, you have a front bench seat, no buckets?
the 40/20/40, IE: 3 people can sit on it, front bench seat?

The center seat has a bottom part, that the top "lifts" revealing an underneath storage area, which is nothing more than a plastic tub?

IS that all correct?

btw, I am in Iowa

Last edited:

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
You can buy the plastic tub that does not use the CD player and convert them. The jumpseats came from the factory with or without the lower compartment and with or with out the CD player.

You cannot just add the factory CD player it is not PNP! The previously mentioned aftermarket kit which consists of the OEM CD player with an aftermarket module which is needed for the CD player to communicate with the head unit. If you just swap out your jump-seat or console with one that has a CD player it will not work without adding sales code RH1 and flashing the BCM.

I did this a while back, and actually got the dealer to activate it. But later when I had an abs issue they flashed the truck (though they claim they did not) and now the CD player no longer shows up on the radio screen. When I went back to complain they called the dip****s secret agents at Star and according to those clowns there is no way to add the CD player sales code to a truck that did not come with it from the factory. Now I know that is BS, but finding a dealer who knows how to and will add the code is near impossible. I have been to three dealerships and no dice.

For the member who was looking to remove the CD player the replacement tray without the CD player provision is

http://www.moparpartsoverstock.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=1206187&ukey_product=10138386 Part 20 in the diagram
68206298AA (without CD player)
68206300AA (with CD player)

You may find the parts cheaper, but I use the above site to find the part numbers as they usually list the option codes along with the parts, this is the best and most reliable method as many times the actual write up is incorrect. The 68206298AA version does not list the RH1 sales code and the 68206300AA one does indicating which one is for the CD player and which one is not.

Last edited:

AJ_IOOF

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I burned all my CD's to MP3s and placed them on a memory stick plugged into the USB in the armrest compartment. No box of CDs rattling around the cab and no need to change CD's. Just sayin...

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
I think most of us have done that, but I personally still prefer CD audio to MP3 or wav files. Actually DVD audio was nice but it never caught on that well.

What I am really pissed about is there is no place in my truck I can find anyway to play my 8 track tapes!

armstrong87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was wondering the same thing, i looked everywhere for a cd player

OP
OP
P

Pikeville904

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
lets be clear, you have a front bench seat, no buckets?
the 40/20/40, IE: 3 people can sit on it, front bench seat?

The center seat has a bottom part, that the top "lifts" revealing an underneath storage area, which is nothing more than a plastic tub?

IS that all correct?

btw, I am in Iowa

No, I have buckets and full console...

JesterTA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Express
Engine
5.7 HEMI
WAV files are actually pretty close or if not the same quality as cd. When I rip I use WAV as default. It shows up as lossless.

Solej

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have the cd player I never use.... Always mp3

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

Quint

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Big Horn 1500
Engine
5.7L v8 eTorque
I've got a 128GB USB stick in my 2015, and it's got over 100GB of music in mp3 form. The truck plays it fine but it does take it 10-15 seconds if I ask it to change playlists or search for something. It takes FOREVER to update the music catalog each time in case I ask it to play a specific song.

Blazing all of my CDs into WAV files would mean that I would need a 1TB flash drive! CDs definitely sound better than compressed files of any kind. I fear that I'll be too old to hear by the time they get storage figured out

awpratt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Easiest way and best bet would be to find a center console harness from a truck that came with the CD player, and then it would be plug and play. That's what I did with mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've got my center console it has the harness throughout the console and the plug that goes under drivers seat is there anything else I need to do this