How Do You Pass People?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When you manually downshift, the transmission will be in 3rd (5 speed) or 4th (6 speed) gear before you go WOT; when you let it manually downshift you're already at WOT before the computer tells the transmission to downshift from 5th to 4th to 3rd (5 speed) or 6th to 5th to 4th (6 speed). The reason WOT is the issue is the transmission is trying to transfer the torque from the engine through the 2C clutch pack in 4th/5th which doesn't have the same holding capacity as the other clutch packs and any amount of slipping will glaze the clutches.

When you really romp on it with some power you can do some amazing things to the internals, see my pics below.

Mine was built my Mike at L&M Customs in Delaware but Jerry at True Street Performance is also building decent 545/65s that have been holding up.

ATS tried to build a 545 a long time ago and it was nothing more than a glorified stock trans that people were blowing through faster than the junkyard stock transmissions. Now they're saying you have to use their controller which is what they were saying back in the day, only time will tel with ATS but I doubt it'll be a bulletproof trans.
I don't think I'm letting my trans downshift on its own at more than half throttle after seeing these pics. Wow.

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/8 speed 3.92 gears
I don't usually let my 6 speed down shift to 4th unless I'm passing on a huge incline or I have 50-70mph headwinds

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

On many of the highways I drive the passing zones are only a few hundred yards long so that is not an option.

powderbrad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think a rapid auto shift from 5/6 to 3rd slips the torque management?

If you manually stick it in 3rd before passing the management can do is thing. I could be wrong.

shane1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
How do you pass people? ..........Now what kind of questions is that......WITH YOUR HEMI!!!! LOL
if its 30 mph or below i usualy pass them sideways but above 30 i usualy suck a little paint off when i go by but i have an 8 speed so i dont worry about the trans.

tuned by Jay Greene

OP
OP
Backwoods

Backwoods

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I knew posting this i would get some smart ass answers, I was just hoping they would be a little more clever.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Yep, pedal to the metal.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I knew posting this i would get some smart ass answers, I was just hoping they would be a little more clever.

Clever like mensa clever? "By adjusting the velocity of my vehicle to complete the intended maneuver in the available space and time, followed by the use of a turn indicator and a flash of the high-beam headlights to announce my intention."

or Backwoods clever? "I make the ol' lady hol' my 40, than I mash on the long pedal! Hang on Mabel, wesa goin' 'round!"

OP
OP
Backwoods

Backwoods

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Clever like mensa clever? "By adjusting the velocity of my vehicle to complete the intended maneuver in the available space and time, followed by the use of a turn indicator and a flash of the high-beam headlights to announce my intention."

or Backwoods clever? "I make the ol' lady hol' my 40, than I mash on the long pedal! Hang on Mabel, wesa goin' 'round!"

Thats better.

Thanks for all the positive feed back from people, was looking more for technique that people use in order to save their transmission.

MANual_puller

Shade tree grease monkey
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Moose
Engine
5.7L hemi
With a 545RFE it takes careful planning. I have to poke the (-) button until my dash says 3rd gear, which takes several tries because I've about got the button worn out, then I give it a one-thousand-3 count and then I go for it. I don't want my crappy transmission to crap out and make me have a crappy day and wind up with a crappy bill for another crappy transmission.

abouttobeglue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Passive aggressively swearing at them while avoiding eye contact

Attachments

• cb96de1371c3af6207d70f748d19ecf65d128ea003a262c32acbb08e599ea916.jpg
    cb96de1371c3af6207d70f748d19ecf65d128ea003a262c32acbb08e599ea916.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 40

RAMTRPR

"Enjoy The Little Things"
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can an 8 speed be mated to a 2009? Stock PCM to tune the engine and swap a new TCM to tune the trans. Kind of making the truck a mutt, but could it work?

^^^Just to start some more Stuff:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MANual_puller

Shade tree grease monkey
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Moose
Engine
5.7L hemi
Can an 8 speed be mated to a 2009? Stock PCM to tune the engine and swap a new TCM to tune the trans. Kind of making the truck a mutt, but could it work?

^^^Just to start some more Stuff:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Idk but I'm about $600 in parts from yanking the 545RFE out of my '11 2500 and putting in a G56 6 speed manual from an '06 2500.....I have the transmission, transfer case, pedals and hydraulics, need flywheel and clutch because the ones that came with were bad from sitting outside.

MANual_puller

Shade tree grease monkey
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Moose
Engine
5.7L hemi
Thanks for the info. So what is the difference between down shifting manually and allowing the transmission to down shift on its own?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Timing. Basically (most)auto transmissions are tuned to slip both the engaging and disengaging clutches on a shift so they "feel smoother" per demand from consumers that don't understand that saving their $2 latte kills their $2500 trans. At WOT the engaging clutch continues to slip because the slip was already started during the shift. When you shift manually at lower throttle it gets fully engaged and stops slipping before you lay the hammer.

WhiteMamba

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow I'm glad I came across this, when I pass people on the highway I let the truck downshift on its own with about 50% to 100% depending if I'm trying to show off or not. I will say, with just a muffler, intake, and HemiFever, it will kick the wheels out if I try to get past someone while yelling "HEMI POWER!" or "Slingshot Engaged". Looks like all of that will be coming to an end.

Does anyone else get this "dead zone" when accelerating on the highway and the rpms don't move but the MPH increases? It happens around 1200rpm when I'm cruising and trying to slowly increase my speed.

WhiteMamba

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow I'm glad I came across this, when I pass people on the highway I let the truck downshift on its own with about 50% to 100% depending if I'm trying to show off or not. I will say, with just a muffler, intake, and HemiFever, it will kick the wheels out if I try to get past someone while yelling "HEMI POWER!" or "Slingshot Engaged". Looks like all of that will be coming to an end.

Does anyone else get this "dead zone" when accelerating on the highway and the rpms don't move but the MPH increases? It happens around 1200rpm when I'm cruising and trying to slowly increase my speed.

This has happened ever since I bought the truck so it's not from the showing off

OP
OP
Backwoods

Backwoods

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I don't get that but I will sometimes get an actual drop in RPMs by about 2-300 then they will go up again then shift.

MANual_puller

Shade tree grease monkey
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Moose
Engine
5.7L hemi
I don't get that but I will sometimes get an actual drop in RPMs by about 2-300 then they will go up again then shift.

Torque convertor lockup and unlock. It slips a little unlocked and has to unlock to shift. This is normal.