How to get the most out of my engine?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adamc23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Gas
So I have a 2001 1500 5.9 360 super cab short bed.

I want to know how I can get her to move a little faster and smoother
I have an AFE magnum intake
a True dual 3" exhaust magna flow
I'm due for a plenum so I'm gonna do that myself sometime soon

Now the problem is she's kinda slow because she has a 5inch suspension lift on 35s so she's a little heavy.

The transmission was rebuilt at 124,*** and she only has 130,*** right now
The rear end was entirely redone by the previous owner

has new coil springs in the front, tow mirrors etc.

Now what do I want out of the truck?
I have problems really getting from 50->60mph without flooring it and (probably because of the plenum) So I need more power some more oomph

Secondly I do tow a boat, nothing crazy its a 19ft outboard so I could use a little more strength in that area.

When I'm not towing I want a little more speed but when I am towing I would like a little more power to compensate for the lift

Suggestions?

I read about getting a throttle body and spacer etc but what will this do exactly? and I know there are different sizes, can someone break down the sizes for me?

Thanks.

mitchbowers

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996 2500 5-speed, soon to be leveled on 33's
Engine
5.9 Magnum
What gears are you running?

Stegs

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
5.2L 318 C.I.
GEARS GEARS GEARS

your truck has the power! you just need a way to take better advantage of it!

I suggest if your at 3.55 gears to go with 4.10 or 4.56s

I have 4.56 gears with 34" tires and it helped alot. The motor doesnt work as hard to get those tires moving....trust me on this, you want a better gear ratio

mitchbowers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
4:10s can run 35s ok, but yes 4:56 will make you feel like you have a new truck

BBartow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum
Well if you want better acceleration and more passing power then regearing is the way to go. Tuner and fixing your plenum will also make a considerable difference.

OP
OP
A

Adamc23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Gas
Like said above gears will help alot running 35s. Just cleaning up your throttle body will help abit, or you could get one of the modded ones like this Dakota Durango R T RT 52mm Bored Ported Throttle Body Magnum 360 5 9 98 03 | eBay
and forget the spacer they don't do jack on these engines.

I actually cleaned up my throttle body today, lol but the gearing I definitely think I'm going to do in a month or so (when I have a bit more disposable income)

Now everyone for the gears I guess I'll go straight to 4:56, what does this involve, what do I have to order, and since i'll be doing it myself what exactly do I have to buy? I am running standard 3:55 gears

OP
OP
A

Adamc23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Gas
Also sorry for the double post but how much might this run me?

Magnum5.9

Reaction score
Ram Year
01 ram 1500 4x4
Engine
Magnum 5.9
I've considered regearing my 01 360 and have been told it's about $1200 to have a shop regear the truck...

I've also been told the parts themselves aren't very expensive but i've herd it can be hard to do and if it's don't slightly incorrectly it will destroy your axles

Jusy what I've herd!

OP
OP
A

Adamc23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Gas
I've considered regearing my 01 360 and have been told it's about $1200 to have a shop regear the truck...

I've also been told the parts themselves aren't very expensive but i've herd it can be hard to do and if it's don't slightly incorrectly it will destroy your axles

Jusy what I've herd!

luckily I have access to a garage with two lifts a diesel mechanic and a normal mechanic to help me out.
I think (I hope) I'll be fine, but does anyone have an idea of the parts list I will need to start writing out?

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
PM ChillyPhil. He just ordered everything to do his gears. He went 4.88 but the ratio will be the only thing different more than likely.

I'd tell ya but I can't remember and don't know enough about it. Could PM Stegs too

Stegs

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
5.2L 318 C.I.
you will want to do both axles if you want to run 4x4 anytime soon of course

But when i did it (going by memory)

ring
pinions
bearings
gaskets
shims
lsd (if you want to do this, now is the time)

I had a shop do mine since its a precise thing to have done. If they dont match perfect....you will eat up your ring and pinion..

If you ever thought about a limited slip or locker, now is the time. Id highly suggest you do it. Posi is a good thing

Id have to fine my reciept when i had my 4.56 gears done...list of everythign they did

I know my rear end bearing were shot....i had a whine coming from the back so bad people thought i had a twin screw supercharger on my truck :naughty:

I obviously went with new bearings with the gears....quiet as can be back there....

IMO, for a limited slip or locker, I have a spicer LSD in my truck. I like it alot. I get posi 99% of the time, and no binding when i turn sharp.

Its quiet, no noises...I know its not "top of the line" but for my scenario it fit my build just fine.

You might want to look into detroit locker or something similar if your off road alot!

OP
OP
A

Adamc23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Gas
you will want to do both axles if you want to run 4x4 anytime soon of course

But when i did it (going by memory)

ring
pinions
bearings
gaskets
shims
lsd (if you want to do this, now is the time)

I had a shop do mine since its a precise thing to have done. If they dont match perfect....you will eat up your ring and pinion..

If you ever thought about a limited slip or locker, now is the time. Id highly suggest you do it. Posi is a good thing

Id have to fine my reciept when i had my 4.56 gears done...list of everythign they did

I know my rear end bearing were shot....i had a whine coming from the back so bad people thought i had a twin screw supercharger on my truck :naughty:

I obviously went with new bearings with the gears....quiet as can be back there....

IMO, for a limited slip or locker, I have a spicer LSD in my truck. I like it alot. I get posi 99% of the time, and no binding when i turn sharp.

Its quiet, no noises...I know its not "top of the line" but for my scenario it fit my build just fine.

You might want to look into detroit locker or something similar if your off road alot!
Sounds goods, I don't off road, off road like mudding but I do beach rides and beach tows here and there so i'd need to do both right away. I'll PM Chillyphil.

How long did it take the shop to do if you remember? and if you find those receipts let me know, although I most likely will stick with my uncles shop I would like to see how much it costs and if it isn't too much for the labor and if it doesn't take too long I'd go with someone else.

Thanks for the feedback

Stegs

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
5.2L 318 C.I.
Sounds goods, I don't off road, off road like mudding but I do beach rides and beach tows here and there so i'd need to do both right away. I'll PM Chillyphil.

How long did it take the shop to do if you remember? and if you find those receipts let me know, although I most likely will stick with my uncles shop I would like to see how much it costs and if it isn't too much for the labor and if it doesn't take too long I'd go with someone else.

Thanks for the feedback

i think i paid 1600 for my gears with a spicer LSD. But i replaced everything while i was in there.

ill see if i can find my receipt ...i keep forgetting to do this and post videos of my truck....(too busy playing with the charger)

It took them 2 days to do....1 day was removal of old gears, clean housing order correct gears and spicer LSD

day 2 was simply replacing everything they took out...

I remember when i got it back, i had my small 29s or 31s on....and it was raining (this was the last time my truck seen rain)

Driving with tiny tires and 4.56 gears with a lsd..:naughty:

I thought for sure i would be in a ditch somewhere.....that thing was sideway as much as it was straight.

You will love new gears, the only downfall is the upfront cost (and loss in mpg)

OP
OP
A

Adamc23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Gas
i think i paid 1600 for my gears with a spicer LSD. But i replaced everything while i was in there.

ill see if i can find my receipt ...i keep forgetting to do this and post videos of my truck....(too busy playing with the charger)

It took them 2 days to do....1 day was removal of old gears, clean housing order correct gears and spicer LSD

day 2 was simply replacing everything they took out...

I remember when i got it back, i had my small 29s or 31s on....and it was raining (this was the last time my truck seen rain)

Driving with tiny tires and 4.56 gears with a lsd..:naughty:

I thought for sure i would be in a ditch somewhere.....that thing was sideway as much as it was straight.

You will love new gears, the only downfall is the upfront cost (and loss in mpg)
How much of a mpg loss we talking about? I'm already almost at 10 as it is...

mda8569

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Thats probly because you need to fix the plenum and tune up. It is what it is, more power= less mpg. After the gears and plenum fix, tune up, a tuner would be next, which would help the mpgs.

mitchbowers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
And also never have high hopes for good mpg on these trucks. Haha

OP
OP
A

Adamc23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Gas
And also never have high hopes for good mpg on these trucks. Haha

I was never hoping for high when i bought this beast :roflsquared:
I just didn't want to hear about a lower mpg level, but after my plenum I'm doing spark plugs and the O2 sensors I guess that'll even out the gears? ChillyPhil got back to me he's preparing to answer my crazy questions lol. :crazy:

Stegs

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
5.2L 318 C.I.
How much of a mpg loss we talking about? I'm already almost at 10 as it is...

my truck gets 10-12ish....i gave up when i did the gears.

If its mileage your after...I suggest take the 1500ish dollars you were going to spend on gears and get yourself a gently used honda civic or similar

these old magnum motors were designed to last, and move a big, heavy truck, not set any mgp awards

4.56 gears will drop your mileage but not as much as you think

your mileage will improve in city, but go down on the highway.

gears are more for taking advantage of the power you have...and moving it into a more usable rpm range

if your getting 10 mpg now on stock tires and 3.55 gears....you need to do some tune up things

1. plenum - its a killer in mpg and performace
2. plugs - along with this id suggest cap and rotor/wire too
3. o2 sensors - replace both, not just one. I found that doing both at the same time gave me about 2mpg better on stock tires/gears
4. air filter - id suggest napa gold for a drop in
5. seafoam thru the throttle body and brake booster line - you would be surprised the crap your truck will burn off

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Adamc23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Gas
my truck gets 10-12ish....i gave up when i did the gears.

If its mileage your after...I suggest take the 1500ish dollars you were going to spend on gears and get yourself a gently used honda civic or similar

these old magnum motors were designed to last, and move a big, heavy truck, not set any mgp awards

4.56 gears will drop your mileage but not as much as you think

your mileage will improve in city, but go down on the highway.

gears are more for taking advantage of the power you have...and moving it into a more usable rpm range

if your getting 10 mpg now on stock tires and 3.55 gears....you need to do some tune up things

1. plenum - its a killer in mpg and performace
2. plugs - along with this id suggest cap and rotor/wire too
3. o2 sensors - replace both, not just one. I found that doing both at the same time gave me about 2mpg better on stock tires/gears
4. air filter - id suggest napa gold for a drop in
5. seafoam thru the throttle body and brake booster line - you would be surprised the crap your truck will burn off

I'm on 35" tires but yeah I'll definitely try this, I never thought of seafoam in a brake booster, also I'm 100% doing the plugs after the plenum

I read online about people cleaning there catalytic converters? how do I know if mine needs to be cleaned? Is it worth it?