How to get the most useable headlights, period.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PbnJdams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
I've seen a ton of people posting about upgrading headlights. What should I get? Projectors, LED's, HID's, Color Temp Etc? I am also sick of having my corneas burned out by overpowered cool blues on the backroads. So in the interest of having the most useable headlight here are a few things everyone should know.

1. Lumens vs Lux

More lumens do not necessarily mean more useable light. Lumens are a measure of output, Lux is a measure of useable light per square meter. In photometry, Lux is specifically measured by the amount of usable light for the human eye. But you cant really measure Lux in the context of a bulb without knowing about what is reflecting the light and a variety of other variables. Most importantly, no one would buy crazy colored lights, because they don't produce as much usable light.

2. Color temperature AKA KELVIN

Since no one measures their headlights/bulbs in lux, what we need to do is optimize light for the human eye. Our primary source of light for all of history has been the sun, our eyes have adapted to sunlight as the optimal color temperature. Sunlight, as measured from earth is approximately 5800K-ish but varies a lot depending on what is between you and the sunlight (atmosphere, clouds etc.)

(Another important note K/Kelvin color temperature is not an indication of power, it is an indication of color temperature. A 5800K light with identical output to a 10000K light will actually be more useful to the human eye, since our eyes prefer color temperatures closer to the sun.)

"Got it 5800K, perfect color temp, can I stop reading this nerd ****?" Almost done, promise.

spectrum_large.jpg

3. Why yellow is better than blue

So we've talked about the way that light is supplied and how being closer to 5800K is better, but there is a little more to consider. Aside from our eyes being bad at blocking blue light, there are a ton of nasty side effects from blue light. I'll post an article at the end if you want to read more about some of the positives and lots of the negatives of blue light (especially the digital blue light).

Our eyes have little things inside them called cones, for sake of brevity of I won't get into what they do beyond telling you they sense, react to, and receive light. Cones are sensitive to three colors: red, green, and blue. You can see that our cones are least sensitive to blue light and most sensitive to red light. The cool part about cones is that more than one cone can react and receive light at one point in time. So you can see that our cones really like green and red. Green and red make yellow, so to activate both green and red cones you need a yellow-y light.

u12l2b2.gif

"You idiot, 5800k is white, now you are saying use yellow? Who is this guy."

So, what is the conclusion?

You have to determine what is best for your eyes.

Now that I've said that, I don't think any color temp about 5800K is necessary or useful. For optimum viewing, I think lights 3200K-4800K range are best for you and everyone else on the road.

Any more yellow (lower K) and they seem less powerful, any more blue (higher K) and you start straining your eyes and burning others out.

PSA

Don't forget if you lift or level your truck that your headlights need to be adjusted and it literally takes 10 minutes.

Blue light bad - https://www.allaboutvision.com/cvs/blue-light.htm

Okay, I'm done now.

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
I've seen a ton of people posting about upgrading headlights. What should I get? Projectors, LED's, HID's, Color Temp Etc? I am also sick of having my corneas burned out by overpowered cool blues on the backroads. So in the interest of having the most useable headlight here are a few things everyone should know.

1. Lumens vs Lux

More lumens do not necessarily mean more useable light. Lumens are a measure of output, Lux is a measure of useable light per square meter. In photometry, Lux is specifically measured by the amount of usable light for the human eye. But you cant really measure Lux in the context of a bulb without knowing about what is reflecting the light and a variety of other variables. Most importantly, no one would buy crazy colored lights, because they don't produce as much usable light.

2. Color temperature AKA KELVIN

Since no one measures their headlights/bulbs in lux, what we need to do is optimize light for the human eye. Our primary source of light for all of history has been the sun, our eyes have adapted to sunlight as the optimal color temperature. Sunlight, as measured from earth is approximately 5800K-ish but varies a lot depending on what is between you and the sunlight (atmosphere, clouds etc.)

(Another important note K/Kelvin color temperature is not an indication of power, it is an indication of color temperature. A 5800K light with identical output to a 10000K light will actually be more useful to the human eye, since our eyes prefer color temperatures closer to the sun.)

"Got it 5800K, perfect color temp, can I stop reading this nerd ****?" Almost done, promise.

spectrum_large.jpg

3. Why yellow is better than blue

So we've talked about the way that light is supplied and how being closer to 5800K is better, but there is a little more to consider. Aside from our eyes being bad at blocking blue light, there are a ton of nasty side effects from blue light. I'll post an article at the end if you want to read more about some of the positives and lots of the negatives of blue light (especially the digital blue light).

Our eyes have little things inside them called cones, for sake of brevity of I won't get into what they do beyond telling you they sense, react to, and receive light. Cones are sensitive to three colors: red, green, and blue. You can see that our cones are least sensitive to blue light and most sensitive to red light. The cool part about cones is that more than one cone can react and receive light at one point in time. So you can see that our cones really like green and red. Green and red make yellow, so to activate both green and red cones you need a yellow-y light.

u12l2b2.gif

"You idiot, 5800k is white, now you are saying use yellow? Who is this guy."

So, what is the conclusion?

You have to determine what is best for your eyes.

Now that I've said that, I don't think any color temp about 5800K is necessary or useful. For optimum viewing, I think lights 3200K-4800K range are best for you and everyone else on the road.

Any more yellow (lower K) and they seem less powerful, any more blue (higher K) and you start straining your eyes and burning others out.

PSA

Don't forget if you lift or level your truck that your headlights need to be adjusted and it literally takes 10 minutes.

Blue light bad - https://www.allaboutvision.com/cvs/blue-light.htm

Okay, I'm done now.

Thanks for the public service announcement? I guess....

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The weird thing about color temperature is that nobody seems to agree on what daylight or sunlight is. I've got adjustable video lights and when I match them to actual sunlight coming in through the window (so there is no gradient) I wind up around 4400-4700k.

But nobody sells automotive LEDs anywhere near that temp they're all either <3000 or >6000..

OP
OP
P

PbnJdams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
The weird thing about color temperature is that nobody seems to agree on what daylight or sunlight is. I've got adjustable video lights and when I match them to actual sunlight coming in through the window (so there is no gradient) I wind up around 4400-4700k.

But nobody sells automotive LEDs anywhere near that temp they're all either <3000 or >6000..
Yeah, it is crazy how much atmosphere can change the suns color temperature. If I ever get the chance to do a crazy analysis, I want to drive from Maine to California and take readings all along my route at different altitudes and weather conditions and see what trends I can identify.

KnurledNut

SemperFi
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Those blue aftermarket headlights will get you pulled over here and issued a fix it ticket.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel

5600k is daylight, according to the lighting industry. That's not to say that the automotive aftermarket complies with that.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If I set my video light to 5600k while in a directly sunlit room it looks plainly blue - both direct and indirect. If I hold it under a skylit window (opposite side of the house from the sun, but bright blue sky providing ample light) then 5600k looks a bit greenish-yellowish.

It's winter now and I'm near the Canadian border so there's probably rayleigh scattering to blame but I also think maybe using a single number to describe light is a bit like talking about peak engine horsepower without mentioning torque or RPM. The video lights have fairly high CRI according to the manufacturer but they might be embellishing a bit :D because even if the color temperature is right, neither ~4700k nor ~5600k truly looks like sunlit skin tones.

One could debate how important CRI is to headlights.. it's not like serving food or visual arts where it's crucial for everything in the visual field to represent itself naturally. We might not need to know the pantone colors of the deer in the road ahead of us - just that it's there and with as much early warning as possible. Transportation LIDAR is a single wavelength typically. Since our pupil dilates and constricts in response to all light entering the eye we might see best at night with "dim" headlights in the wavelengths that matter vs. "bright" headlights spamming out wavelengths that aren't as useful.

CRI-Comparison.png

OP
OP
P

PbnJdams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
Since our pupil dilates and constricts in response to all light entering the eye we might see best at night with "dim" headlights in the wavelengths that matter vs. "bright" headlights spamming out wavelengths that aren't as useful.

This is a great point, more light doesn't necessarily equal better viewing or visual acuity. Interestingly enough, blue wavelengths are the ones that our eyes are the worst at filtering out. Yet another reason to lean toward the yellow camp.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
If I set my video light to 5600k while in a directly sunlit room it looks plainly blue - both direct and indirect. If I hold it under a skylit window (opposite side of the house from the sun, but bright blue sky providing ample light) then 5600k looks a bit greenish-yellowish.

It's winter now and I'm near the Canadian border so there's probably rayleigh scattering to blame but I also think maybe using a single number to describe light is a bit like talking about peak engine horsepower without mentioning torque or RPM. The video lights have fairly high CRI according to the manufacturer but they might be embellishing a bit :D because even if the color temperature is right, neither ~4700k nor ~5600k truly looks like sunlit skin tones.

One could debate how important CRI is to headlights.. it's not like serving food or visual arts where it's crucial for everything in the visual field to represent itself naturally. We might not need to know the pantone colors of the deer in the road ahead of us - just that it's there and with as much early warning as possible. Transportation LIDAR is a single wavelength typically. Since our pupil dilates and constricts in response to all light entering the eye we might see best at night with "dim" headlights in the wavelengths that matter vs. "bright" headlights spamming out wavelengths that aren't as useful.

View attachment 238960
Ahh, but now you have to start talking about metamers (anyone remember that stupid Facebook thing about the "blue" dress a while back?), and (I agree with you) how important or not CRI is. As a side note, the lighting industry is moving away from CRI as being the definitive metric, it's not really applicable when using LEDs. Much bigger more story there...

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I prefer LED or HID. I hate not being able to see. I have good eyes as well. Hallogen is ok. It does get the job done, but the blue lights are awful.

ShortRAM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Every light in my house is LED, but they are all a much warmer color temperature and the lighting is comfortable to live with. By comparison, LED flashlights seem harsh. I had a major life event that limited me to LED flashlights for any lighting I needed. It was surprising to learn how difficult it was to read with them. If any of that experience applies to automotive headlights, I have to believe that warmer ~5800k works a lot better for me than the harshness of cooler colors.

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
I'm going to the airplane graveyard in Arizona and getting a pair of Boeing jet landing lights, then mount them on the roof pointing directly at oncoming windshields.:p:D

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm going to the airplane graveyard in Arizona and getting a pair of Boeing jet landing lights, then mount them on the roof pointing directly at oncoming windshields.:p:D

If you want to go big league hit up a commercial shipbreaker and get some of those Carlisle & Finch arc lamps - not only do they make jet landing beams look like a swap meet Zippo they're also built to keep working under heavy gunfire so you can keep it up a lot longer :gunner: