How To: Install a 2018 4C (UAQ/UAS) Radio in 2013 - 2017 RAM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I turn truck on and off a few times, gave up and went inside as it was late. Next day on the way to work i noticed i was listening to the radio! Everything worked.... XM button appeared.
Everything except for Android auto button. Its still dim and not selectable.

Any luck with the Android Auto working yet?

Buck1127

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Mine WAS working til media hub stopped recognizing the phone being plugged in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jkieffer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Are you looking for the 2018 dual hub. Remember the old 8.4 radio hub and UAS and UAQ are different. I have an extra brand new hub if needed. I got a console that had the correct hub and did not need the one I ordered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fedup

Reaction score
Are you looking for the 2018 dual hub. Remember the old 8.4 radio hub and UAS and UAQ are different. I have an extra brand new hub if needed. I got a console that had the correct hub and did not need the one I ordered.

I have the new 18 hub thanks. Its not installed yet. The usb plug is a usb wire so it seems to work fine with my old hub as im not using the SD card slot nor the 3.5 jack.
People seem surprised that it works on the old hub. Im wondering why. Isnt it the same usb to usb?

And if not maybe thats why the android auto button isnt working on the 8.4.

The app works.when i plug my phone in or if i select the phone icon.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Jkieffer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
It’s the same usb to usb but the grey larger plug has a function and I don’t believe it’s only for power and may carry a signal? I tried using the old plug and it would not work. Once I put in the 2018 hub in without connecting the large connector nothing worked either. As soon as I got the adapter and plugged in my harness worked the next day after the radio learned it. Have even investigated chaining another hub on but I believe I would need the larger connection on that one as well. Not sure but deerguy and mike Grimm would know better I’m sure.

OP
OP
DeereGuy

DeereGuy

Preferred Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
It’s not just a usb to usb connection. Yes you plug a usb cable into the hub and yes the hub connects to the radio via usb but the hub also has logic in it. When you install the hub in your truck the radio has drivers for features in that hub which seems to enable the CarPlay and android auto functionality. That’s why you must supply power and ground to the hub to make it work. It’s no different then installing printer drivers on your windows pc to make the printer work correctly. It’s a usb device also. If you want android auto and CarPlay to work consistently on the radios you need to switch the hub.

ichime

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I'm gonna try this project the hard way (getting parts individually) on my 2014 Ram 2500 Laramie. Does anyone with a Cargo Camera on their truck have any issues selecting cameras with the UAS/UAQ upgrade?

Last edited:

GYSOT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Who sells the conversion harness? And with the media hub stay in place (have a 2016 1500 sport) or do I need a holder?

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Who sells the conversion harness? And with the media hub stay in place (have a 2016 1500 sport) or do I need a holder?
You can get the hub adapter harness from DeereGuy or myself.

Do you have a Console or Jumpseat?

M² Mods.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Neither of the recommended usb hubs will fit the existing opening correctly (see the op & post 5 ), but the 2018 compass
Hub is the closest fit.

You've got a few options with the console:
- use the compass hub.
Only 1 usb port, and it must be installed all the way to the right of the opening. There will be about a 1/4 gap on the left. My video of the jumpseat install shows the difference in fit see here.

- use the 18 Ram USB hub.
You get 2 use ports but you will have to enlarge the opening over to the accessory outlet. There will still be some gap to deal with.
Here's how Sawz fixed the 2018 USB hub cutout issue on his earlier console.See here.

- Purchase the upper lid/armrest assembly from a 2018 truck's console to get the correct cutout for the hub. $300-$400 supposedly. No one has confirmed this because of the cost.

M² Mods.

Last edited:

GYSOT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
FYI the last couple of radios are up to 21.9 software.

GYSOT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Also the 2019 Radios in the Rams aren't going to be compatible with anything but the Rams. You will need radios out of Jeep Grand Cherokees, same mounts etc.

The UAM is by Delphi and without nav and all in one unit (the back camera wont work and the purple clip is different then any other vehicle)

Then there is Panasonic 8.4 with nav and separate screen (Like the pre 2015 Charger / Challenger / 300) I assume because the 12" screen is that way so they will continue with separate units moving forward

Then Continental all in one without nav. (I haven't seen this unit in America so thing it's in other countries)

Brent Cox

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got my UAS radio last week installed no issues, ordered adapter from deer guy no issues with its 2018 ram Media hub no issues

$435.00 radio , adaptor, Hub

I was going in reverse and noticed the reverse display but no sound so I went into setting to make sure it was on shows display and sound thought I would switch it to sound only the check box checked but after 1,2 seconds it would uncheck then recheck display and sound
Anyone experiencing the same issue ?

Firmware 19.19

rango10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I got my UAS radio last week installed no issues, ordered adapter from deer guy no issues with its 2018 ram Media hub no issues

$435.00 radio , adaptor, Hub

I was going in reverse and noticed the reverse display but no sound so I went into setting to make sure it was on shows display and sound thought I would switch it to sound only the check box checked but after 1,2 seconds it would uncheck then recheck display and sound
Anyone experiencing the same issue ?

Firmware 19.19

Where did you get the radio so cheap from?

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk

GYSOT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I hope it's not the Delphi UAM, will have issue. If not that was a steal of a price, good for you

Brent Cox

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Car-part.com
$300 radio plus 25.00 shipping
$30 adaptor
$100 2018 media hub plus 9 shipping

So actually cost $464

I read allot of forums regarding reverse audio alerts come and go on 2018 radio sure enough I went to park the truck last night and the audio starts working so I guess it’s a hit an miss

I didn’t want the Nav included then would have to pay to have them updated from here on out ; glad I went with this unit I love the car play maps and just waiting for the IOS 12 to enable 3 party apps bring on the Waze !!!

1 more month till Apple releases it

Kiddingme

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Are their any other vehicles that have been confirmed to have compatible radios besides the 2018 ram 1500?

GYSOT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Grand Cherokees though one I sold I was told he an issue so I just shipped a replacement. The 2019s won’t work.

Kiddingme

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Do the 2018 Jeep Cherokee’s fit and mount using all the same mounting points as the Ram?