How to install affordable CANBUS LED reverse bulbs - 7440 type

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boosted Motorsports

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Check out the video to see some inexpensive LED reverse bulbs that work on our trucks. After trying a bunch of different bulbs I finally found a set that don't throw an error message! Let me know your feedback and be sure to follow along and check out all the other mod videos I have!

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Another excellent video, I just ordered a set for my 2017

I might have missed it, but have you found any for the cargo and 3rd brake lights?

BTW....my inexpensive license plate bulbs (from one of your other videos) still work fine with no errors

OP
OP
Boosted Motorsports

Boosted Motorsports

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Ghost_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Last edited:
OP
OP
Boosted Motorsports

Boosted Motorsports

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Great video, keep up the great work! I also found these to work on my '16 Express. Not as bright as yours but hasn't thrown any lights yet either.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0193ISBUA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edit: Just watched your cargo light vid as I need to do those next. Looks like I spoke too soon and will be ordering these and doing a swap. Thanks again!

Thats awesome! Glad I could help! Plenty more videos on the way and be sure to check out the other LED and HID upgrade videos and comparisons on the channel too! :D

Installed today, no codes and very bright, thanks

Hell yeah! Glad you like them!!!

Heucobob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Is this the same as a 921 ? I have a 2016 w/o projector head lights . Will this fit for me ?

OP
OP
Boosted Motorsports

Boosted Motorsports

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Is this the same as a 921 ? I have a 2016 w/o projector head lights . Will this fit for me ?

Your truck will need CANBUS compatible 921 type bulbs like the ones used for the cargo/3rd brake light seen here

matt.davidson09

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 RAM 2500 Laramie Mega Cab
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Your truck will need CANBUS compatible 921 type bulbs like the ones used for the cargo/3rd brake light seen here

Love your videos man! Super informative.

I’m about to pull the trigger on the map light upgrade for my 2013 Laramie after watching your video, but saw your IG post about a new custom interior lighting...what did you end up going with, the lights in the video or something else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ghost_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
These came in the other day but finally got around to trying to get them installed. They didn't fit in my truck. Didn't know what I was thinking when I ordered. Mine will only fit 921 style not 7440. My bad, wasn't even paying attention.

OP
OP
Boosted Motorsports

Boosted Motorsports

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Love your videos man! Super informative.

I’m about to pull the trigger on the map light upgrade for my 2013 Laramie after watching your video, but saw your IG post about a new custom interior lighting...what did you end up going with, the lights in the video or something else?

Thanks brother appreciate it! I used the same LED panels that I upgraded the front map lights with. It was under $10 for 6 LED panels so I had a few left over. I had to custom solder them to the circuit board but no big deal. I'll have the video out within a week too on how to get that done for us. HUGE improvement and its bright as day in there now I love it!

OP
OP
Boosted Motorsports

Boosted Motorsports

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
These came in the other day but finally got around to trying to get them installed. They didn't fit in my truck. Didn't know what I was thinking when I ordered. Mine will only fit 921 style not 7440. My bad, wasn't even paying attention.

Damn sorry to hear! Yeah unfortunately there are a few different bulb types for our trucks. Check out the CANBUS ones for the rear cargo light I posted in this thread. Those are the same bulbs.

Ghost_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Damn sorry to hear! Yeah unfortunately there are a few different bulb types for our trucks. Check out the CANBUS ones for the rear cargo light I posted in this thread. Those are the same bulbs.

Yep, that is what I have in there now. Not as many lumens as the 7440s but much better than stock for sure. Got the rear cargo light and third brake done earlier. Looks much better. Thanks!

matt.davidson09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Thanks brother appreciate it! I used the same LED panels that I upgraded the front map lights with. It was under $10 for 6 LED panels so I had a few left over. I had to custom solder them to the circuit board but no big deal. I'll have the video out within a week too on how to get that done for us. HUGE improvement and its bright as day in there now I love it!

Awesome man, subscribed to your channel, looking forward to it. Keep up the good work!

Heucobob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
What kelvin rating do you recommend for the reverse bulbs ?

matt.davidson09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Dude you killed it on these install videos! Got my stuff rigged up last night.

50e9ede0c3ef33ce11568784b3c9f6df.jpg964b1b7254cd53069a3870adee08e85f.jpge49c53d84ab90fbc6ab5f7c19995b413.jpg

Only question I have is that this was my first time soldering anything like this, are these connections ok like this or do they need to be covered? I wouldn’t think there’s enough draw to start a fire, just want to be sure.
671bf3667951e720d017ab2ac5f4bda4.jpg

This part was a PITA for me because I didn’t leave enough wiring on the connections, and my OEM LED bulb didn’t go out like yours did when I connected the new LEDs, so I was getting a partial flow to each setup until I messed up the OEM Bulb enough to make it burn out haha couldn’t figure out how to remove it from the circuit board

OP
OP
Boosted Motorsports

Boosted Motorsports

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Dude you killed it on these install videos! Got my stuff rigged up last night.

Only question I have is that this was my first time soldering anything like this, are these connections ok like this or do they need to be covered? I wouldn’t think there’s enough draw to start a fire, just want to be sure.

This part was a PITA for me because I didn’t leave enough wiring on the connections, and my OEM LED bulb didn’t go out like yours did when I connected the new LEDs, so I was getting a partial flow to each setup until I messed up the OEM Bulb enough to make it burn out haha couldn’t figure out how to remove it from the circuit board

Damn thats so awesome you tackled this job so quickly! How are you liking it? Its so insanely bright in the interior now right? It's hard to capture just how bright and awesome this setup is on camera!!!

matt.davidson09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Damn thats so awesome you tackled this job so quickly! How are you liking it? Its so insanely bright in the interior now right? It's hard to capture just how bright and awesome this setup is on camera!!!

Your videos made the upgrades super easy to do, very easily followed. The front bulbs on my Laramie have been burnt out since I bought the truck used, been waiting for something like this to come around! And yes, pictures don’t do it justice, it’s so bright!

You need to do the footwells and vanity bulbs next!

*waits patiently*