HOW TO: painting and baking your headlights the right way, many pics

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SuperRam09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wonder if you could use a heat gun to get the headlights apart...???

johnnysart

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum

Yes that does work. I took my headlights apart that way. I wasn't comfortable placing headlights in the oven.

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
Bringing this thread to life again.

Anyways, I have done 5 retrofits and 5 black headlight housings. My baking temp was always 240 for 8 minutes. So I tried doing this last night and they would not budge. I am not familiar with this sealant, since all import manufactures use the rubber compound.

What is the temp and duration for these to break apart I just do not want to melt them or warp.

If you are talking about the heads, you need a LOT more time than 8 minutes. Permaseal is typically 16-20 in my shop.

Why not? Was thinking of doing this then having the paint shop paint parts of it.

Tails are fun. I warped the only set I screwed with.......time hasn't been friendly enough to me to let me try again.

Sure, but on anything over an 06 - an oven is much easier.

Yes that does work. I took my headlights apart that way. I wasn't comfortable placing headlights in the oven.

On a 02-05, heat gun is preferred. ;)

johnnysart

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I'm thinking of taking my current set apart. I don't know we shall see.

SuperRam09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wanna do it and paint match the inside but I just haven't got the

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
...the what? don't tease!

Permaseal is the enemy! Haha
It's a FINE line between baking enough to soften that crap, and starting to melt tabs. Be sure to put a towel between the headlight and the baking sheet or you'll have holes to patch after the retro is done!
I don't know which was worse- baking the heads apart without wrecking anything, pr picking the Permaseal out of the channel before putting them back together. Debatable.

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
I honestly have never melted a tab.......broken quite a few when ripping the lights open, but never melted. The towel on baking sheet? I use a silicone baking mat. ;) Hell, knock on wood, I've never melted a light..........

warped a tail, but thats it. ;)

and on the permaseal, it depends for me.....some are NICE, some are stupid lame. For some reason OEM 06-08s seem to want to come off in 1/4" chunks. Thats annoying as hell.......

xariver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thinking about doing this to my truck I have the outside tinted now but was wondering if anyone has a white truck with quads they sprayed?

Cruizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport 4x4 QC
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Some of the images appear to be missing. Is it me or are they really missing? Can we can them fixed? Considering doing this and want as many visuals before going into it as possible. I'd like to know what I'm dealing with before I tear into it.

Ramlvr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Some of the images appear to be missing. Is it me or are they really missing? Can we can them fixed? Considering doing this and want as many visuals before going into it as possible. I'd like to know what I'm dealing with before I tear into it.

X 2 on this.
Please

blackedoutNinja

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
hemi 5.7
i also cant see a bunch of the pics and am contemplating doing this,, but i have the 2013 sport projector headlights,,, has anyone done this with thoses same headlights,,,, theyre damn expensive to replace if something screws up.
thanks.

blackout11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 R/T
Engine
hemi 5.7
if your not sure or dont trust yourself your better off not doing it or sending to someone that does

Cruizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport 4x4 QC
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I'd buy another set unless you can leave your truck sit for a couple days at least. This isn't something I'd try and rush through. Wish we could get this thread updated though.

jeringate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can see all the pics, maybe its been resolved since the last couple posts, I was super confident in doing this from the OP's write up and then everyone else's comments have me skeptical now!

I'm guessing as long as you don't over cook them you can't hurt them? Am I wrong? like say try it for 8 mins and if that doesn't work let them cool fully back to room temp and then try it again for 10 mins. Increasing each time until she budges?

Correct me if I'm wrong, would that warp it? Or would that be considered the overly safe route to go?

newtothegame

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This is a great how to..... What happened to the pics? Some of them are up and some aren't.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

blikike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can see all the pics, maybe its been resolved since the last couple posts, I was super confident in doing this from the OP's write up and then everyone else's comments have me skeptical now!

I'm guessing as long as you don't over cook them you can't hurt them? Am I wrong? like say try it for 8 mins and if that doesn't work let them cool fully back to room temp and then try it again for 10 mins. Increasing each time until she budges?

Correct me if I'm wrong, would that warp it? Or would that be considered the overly safe route to go?

If you can see all the pictures any chance you could save the pictures and maybe make a repost of this? Thanks Man.

Cruizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport 4x4 QC
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I'd say I can see about half of the pics. I'm thinking about trying this in the spring to paint the bezels black.

Lil Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Great write up i just did mine today as i was doing the lights i kept referring back to the forum... It all went good so far thanks for all the detail