Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Motor Head

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Let me first off mention that my truck came with the quad headlights and for the low beams it had an H11 bulb. Yes, halogen they were and they suck. After researching and doing the same thing to my wife's 06 honda accord, I wanted to attempt the H11 bulb and convert my headlights to take in the much brighter H9 bulb. Almost double the light output after the upgrade! It's been about 2 months since I have done the upgrade, and they are holding up quite well. In the video, I show you HOW-TO get the conversion done, with very limited fabrication.

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Nice job, thanks for the great video.

An extra plus is while you have the headlights out is to swap the high-beam 9005 bulb for a standard 9011 halogen bulb (big brightness difference there too). All it takes is a quick clip on the top locking tab to narrow it and no modification to the pigtail socket as it's an identical match.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Motor Head

Motor Head

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Nice job, thanks for the great video.

An extra plus is while you have the headlights out is to swap the high-beam 9005 bulb for a standard 9011 halogen bulb (big brightness difference there too). All it takes is a quick clip on the top locking tab to narrow it and no modification to the pigtail socket is it's an identical match.
Absolutely, I should have mentioned that. Only reason why i didn’t was because I never use the high beams lol. But yes, same principle to do the high beams.

RodeoRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nice one, Zeke. Huah from Greensboro! I had only seen the modification to the bulb itself approach and not actually modding the connector itself. Lemme ask, though. Do you think the stock H11 connector can be replaced with an H9 connector on the wiring instead of cutting into the stock connector to adapt it?

OP
OP
Motor Head

Motor Head

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Nice one, Zeke. Huah from Greensboro! I had only seen the modification to the bulb itself approach and not actually modding the connector itself. Lemme ask, though. Do you think the stock H11 connector can be replaced with an H9 connector on the wiring instead of cutting into the stock connector to adapt it?
I hated cutting into stock connector only because I could not find an adapter to use instead. If there is one out there, go for it. I would have used it instead of slicing in the connector.

Cillys

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I would've taking a small file and file that tab inside the lightbulbs' connector

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Motor Head

Motor Head

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I would've taking a small file and file that tab inside the lightbulbs' connector

I started doing that and I would have sat there for about an hour trying to shave it down. Tried a sharp knife too, some tough plastic.

Cillys

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I started doing that and I would have sat there for about an hour trying to shave it down. Tried a sharp knife too, some tough plastic.

Well then ... figures lol

RodeoRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I was hoping to avoid that because it'll have to be done on every bulb I put in. But Zeke's method or if the connector can be replaced, only has to be done once.

I hated cutting into stock connector only because I could not find an adapter to use instead. If there is one out there, go for it. I would have used it instead of slicing in the connector.

Oh, I agree, Zeke. I am a Schleprock when doing stuff like this. If I take my Dremel to the connector, I'll most likely have to replace my rear axle. But I did just R&R my coil connector housing on my '01 last year. Once I figured out how to get the wires/pins out of it, it was easy. Swapping in an H9 connector shouldn't be difficult. Hope I didn't just jinx myself.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/JT-T-Products-Universal-H9-Halogen-Bulb-Connector/23756166

https://www.amazon.com/Connector-Pigtail-Socket-Bulbs-10-6/dp/B00CJLFYDG

Cillys

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If I take my Dremel to the connector, I'll most likely have to replace my rear axle.

Better than having to have whoopee with a gorilla [emoji2371][emoji85][emoji1303]

RodeoRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I hear you there. I got the Dremel just to take the tab off the bulb.

Cillys

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just did a search on amazon. There's conversion harnesses for 7$ H11 to 9005

Big Terry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
250 bucks later and almost every bulb in my truck is switched now, haha. Did your headlight trick- huge upgrade, for sure. I just used a Sawzall blade to cut the notch.

...and since I was at it, upgraded high beams and fogs. And swapped almost every other bulb for led equivalents.

I hate watching your videos because I have almost the same damn truck, and I see your vids and I'm like "oh that's quick and easy" so I inevitably do it. And then some.

Thanks haha.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Motor Head

Motor Head

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
250 bucks later and almost every bulb in my truck is switched now, haha. Did your headlight trick- huge upgrade, for sure. I just used a Sawzall blade to cut the notch.

...and since I was at it, upgraded high beams and fogs. And swapped almost every other bulb for led equivalents.

I hate watching your videos because I have almost the same damn truck, and I see your vids and I'm like "oh that's quick and easy" so I inevitably do it. And then some.

Thanks haha.

Lol. I haven’t hit the high beams, brakes, or turns yet! I will though soon. thanks for watching my vids!

Big Terry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Lol. I haven’t hit the high beams, brakes, or turns yet! I will though soon. thanks for watching my vids!
Just be aware that the LEDs might throw 'bulb out' codes. Mine did, but I used Alfa to switch em all over to LED and no more issues.

OP
OP
Motor Head

Motor Head

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Just be aware that the LEDs might throw 'bulb out' codes. Mine did, but I used Alfa to switch em all over to LED and no more issues.

Thx for the warning. Thankfully, nothing has popped up nor do I think it will. Only time it showed up was when I tested the bulbs and disconnected the tail light was when I received the message.

Fuel35 67

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Just did the H9 bulb upgrade, definitely a difference in light output. Thanks for posting this!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357