HPTuner Ease of Use

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Daniel12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Hello,

I’m thinking about getting HPT for my 2017 Ram. Already bought a donor PCM a while back and it’s just sitting in my garage because I’ve been hesitant to pull the trigger on getting the HPT setup.

I was wondering how easy their software is to use with our trucks. As of right now, all I want to do is increase my idle RPM and lower my fan-enable set points for an E-Fan conversion. Is this something a normal person can do themselves or does it require getting an experienced tuner involved?

Thanks

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Hello,

I’m thinking about getting HPT for my 2017 Ram. Already bought a donor PCM a while back and it’s just sitting in my garage because I’ve been hesitant to pull the trigger on getting the HPT setup.

I was wondering how easy their software is to use with our trucks. As of right now, all I want to do is increase my idle RPM and lower my fan-enable set points for an E-Fan conversion. Is this something a normal person can do themselves or does it require getting an experienced tuner involved?

Thanks

Both. But the options you mentioned are relatively easy. There are few video's around that show you exactly what to do.
No clue about the E-fan, maybe @Wild one has played with that, I haven't.

Be careful and always do backups before playing.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
This is very easy to do. There's literally a section for the ect and idle. If you need pics I'd be willing to fire up the comp and show you.

OP
OP
D

Daniel12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
This is very easy to do. There's literally a section for the ect and idle. If you need pics I'd be willing to fire up the comp and show you.
Nice! I will reach out when I get the MVPI in my hand with the unlocked PCM. Will look at making the purchase this week.

Thanks

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Nice! I will reach out when I get the MVPI in my hand with the unlocked PCM. Will look at making the purchase this week.

Thanks
Sounds good. Also shop eBay sometimes you can get good deals on new hp tuners with credits.

diymirage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check out our vendor section, there is at least one vendor there who uses HP tuners, and might be able to guide you along

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Didn't notice he was in Toronto. Think there are two dyno shops that do it. I purchased one from HP, just sent them my file.

OP
OP
D

Daniel12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Didn't notice he was in Toronto. Think there are two dyno shops that do it. I purchased one from HP, just sent them my file.
Any idea what the shops are called? Found 1 place on Google called Toronto ECU Tuning but based on their social media, it looks like they may be no longer in the business.

Also, would this work:

1. Get scrapyard donor PCM unlocked locally
2. Take stock read of original PCM in truck with HPT
3. Uninstalled original PCM and install unlocked donor PCM in the truck
4. Write stock read to the donor PCM via OBD2 and MPVI3

or do I need to clone it with special tools?

Thanks

Last edited:

diymirage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Any idea what the shops are called? Found 1 place on Google called Toronto ECU Tuning but based on their social media, it looks like they may be no longer in the business.

Also, would this work:

1. Get scrapyard donor PCM unlocked locally
2. Take stock read of original PCM in truck with HPT
3. Uninstalled original PCM and install unlocked donor PCM in the truck
4. Write stock read to the donor PCM via OBD2 and MPVI3

or do I need to clone it with special tools?

Thanks
Not sure.

What I did with my 2500 is buy a used PCM and send that one out to get reprogrammed

Once it came back I installed it and kept the stocker with the stock tune for backup, or as a spare

Swezey23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have an HP Tuner I used on my '17 RAM with 6 credits left over. I'm looking it sell it as I sold my RAM last year.
MPVI 2+

You won't find HP Tuners on eBay as it's a restricted item in the US due to "emissions" b.s.

Swezey23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello,

Thanks

This is very easy to do.

You can also adjust your throttle response while you're in there if you're feeling extra spicy. Much better than those pedal commanders