I need to rant on dealer service techs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Guys keep in on point and don't take it to a personal level. The title implies some venting needed to be done. Don't take offense to people having opinions on bad experience as long as they are not attacking someone personally. Thanks.

$miley

OP
OP
dpinvidic

dpinvidic

This guy gets shotgun
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I work in a shop and I would have to say that it is not due to being over tight. Those cartridge filter caps are aluminum, seize up all the time. Some of them are plastic. I've never had an issue with the plastic ones. GM even has the same issue on the Opel designed 3.0l v6 in saturns and 3.6l v6 in the camaro and cts. What I think that happens is whoever does it, does not lube the gasket and threads. When I do cartridge filters I lube the hell out of it.

I can only comment on the Lexus. The bottom drain cap has a "O" ring which fits into a groove. The small drain cap is aluminum, and seals with a compression fit. You remove it with a 3/8" ratchet handle (square hole in drain cap). Now to get the actual filter housing off, you need a regular oil filter socket (same as for spin on filters (I bought the special one for Lexus).

I change oil every 4K miles, and I have never had a problem where the filter comes loose when I try to remove the little cap. But the two times the dealer did the change, the housing started to unscrew because the cap was TOO TIGHT. I would bet BIG MONEY that since the techs use a extended catch pan, they don't care about draining the filter first. If they tighten the crap out of the cap, then next time all they need is a 3/8" ratchet to remove the whole filter...and not mess with the drain cap. It takes me about 7 minutes extra time to drain the filter and replace the O-ring in the drain cap.

I bet the shop could get a couple of extra cars in each day by taking this shortcut.
But that is just my guess.

Dan

OP
OP
dpinvidic

dpinvidic

This guy gets shotgun
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Guys keep in on point and don't take it to a personal level. The title implies some venting needed to be done. Don't take offense to people having opinions on bad experience as long as they are not attacking someone personally. Thanks.

$miley

+1 what He said.....
Some people are really picky about their cars (and all things mechanical).
And then some folks wash their car with dishwasher soap....or let mother nature wash it for them....:winner_third_h4h:

Dan

Slidder

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie 2500
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I know with Chevy, if you hammer them on their dealership service department review, that tends to open up their eyes a little more. I had an issue with my wife's 2010 Equinox (Navigation kept placing our vehicle in Washington, DC), so I took it to the dealer where we bought it. There was a bulletin out for this fix already, so it should have been a simple flash of the computer. Well, the technician never fully completed all the steps of the flash, so the issue arouse again the very next day. I gave them low scores on their review, which prompted the service manage to call me the very next day begging and pleading with me to come back in so they could make it right. When I showed up for my appointment, I was treated like a king. I wasn't very happy that I had to take my wife's vehicle back into the dealership to get it "fixed" again, but at least I know the surveys that are sent out via email have some merit in getting things done.

When you purchase any new vehicle, everybody who works at the dealership always tells you to give them a rating of 10 and if you can't, before you complete the survey they want you to come back to the dealership and try to do most anything to change your mind. I have bought 11 new vehicles from Chrysler in about a year and a half. I have given them a rating of 10's on every vehicle I bought. However, it is coming to an end. I just bought a new 2014 Laramie 3500. Problems started the day after I drove it home. Can't wait for the survey to arrive. ALL departments involved with me buying this truck are going to get a - (negative) rating on the entire survey. Stop and think about giving out 10's. What that really means is there is no room for improvement ~ their "perfect." If anybody can find a perfect dealership, let me know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mangus2k13ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When you purchase any new vehicle, everybody who works at the dealership always tells you to give them a rating of 10 and if you can't, before you complete the survey they want you to come back to the dealership and try to do most anything to change your mind. I have bought 11 new vehicles from Chrysler in about a year and a half. I have given them a rating of 10's on every vehicle I bought. However, it is coming to an end. I just bought a new 2014 Laramie 3500. Problems started the day after I drove it home. Can't wait for the survey to arrive. ALL departments involved with me buying this truck are going to get a - (negative) rating on the entire survey. Stop and think about giving out 10's. What that really means is there is no room for improvement ~ their "perfect." If anybody can find a perfect dealership, let me know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have found one! I live Hanover, pa. Yes where utz potato chips and other snack foods. Anyways the local dealer here kept on giving me a run around on my last ram, they would not fix it properly. I had warranty so any repair was covered. But same issues kept on coming up and my warranty ran out. So I ended up taking it to another dealer which was further away. This new dealer listen to my concerns, they even introduced me to different guys who worked there and even the tech that was going to work my truck. Well I ended up buying a new truck, because my brakes lines went out and it was already a 10 year truck. It was definitely time for a new one. This dealer has been in business for over 80 years, two salespeople, small showroom, customer waiting area was in the service area(kid you not!), and just a very nice atmosphere. They are very proud of their old school dealership look. Both sales guys help me on my search for my new truck. Of course they didn't have it, they only have like 20 cars on their lot. I got exactly what I wanted and I will not ever deal with anyone else in the future. Baugher motors is there name.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I work in what I consider to be the service industry and for those of you that do not know that is at Verizon. We have surveys like pretty much anywhere else and what I know is sometimes it is just a bad situation and nothing can be done. The difference between that being a low score and a high score is simple IMO. Did I or my teammates do everything possible to help that guest? Did I or my teammate show genuine intent and be very transparent with why I could not be more help and explain in detail the problem? If I can't say yes to those two simple questions I am doomed from the start. I will tell you first hand I do not not can I always give everyone what they want but I can control the message and my intent.
My point in that long tangent is simply that going the extra mile is not always easy but I can treat guests like I would want to be treated when things are not working right then I have done my best and deserve a 10. If not then a 10 is not expected I should have done more to earn it. People think old fashioned service is dead but I say it is just fighting to make a comeback.
As the saying goes we forget what people said but we always remember how a person made us feel.

$miley

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
All I know is that when I buy a new vehicle I'm not just buying the vehicle. I'm paying for the warranty that comes with it. When a service center does not provide me with what I paid for I look at it as stealing. I'll voice my opinion about it too.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On this forum i dont see any chrysler reps watching it. im on a camaro forum cor my '13 camaro. i had a service issue and as soon as i posted it on that forum a GM customer service rep contacted me. they did all the talking with the dealer, since the dealer wouldnt do any with me. just shows that some know what social media can do to a company.

i once had a ford that i had issues (radiator went out at 37k) ford offers what they call an "AWA" (after warranty assistance) program. they pro-rate the cost of the repair depending on how close to you warranty you are. the service writer tried to play a game with me... if you do this other work (trans flush, diff flush...) then we will cover it under the awa. they wanted to charge me for a radiator flush and fill when they were taking out the radiator!. once i got corporate ford customer service involved the dealer was kissing my a$$. what started out at a $1500 i ended up paying about $250 for!

like stated above. if you feel you have received bad service take the survey and put the negative marks on it.

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
Sorry, but I need to blow off some steam. In general, I hate taking a car to the dealer because the techs are usually in a hurry to get stuff out.

Today I had to take my 2014 RAM (1,700miles) into the dealer for a intermittent "Battery Low" message when the air suspension runs.
I was confident there was nothing wrong with the battery, but was hoping they could see something with their scan tool.

The system worked fine at the dealer. So the tech simply cleans the battery terminals. These things DID NOT NEED CLEANING. When I took delivery of the new truck I had prayed them with corrosion protectant. They were perfect.

Anyway, when I look under the hood tonight, the tech had lost the rubber cap that goes over the positive terminal. This cap helps to prevent accidental shorts. I just don't get it.

I bet there are enough "left off parts" at the dealers to build a complete vehicle.

Thanks for letting me rant.

Dan

uh no, it is red because it's the positive post, and it is there to protect against acid corrosion.....Been around batteries for a few years, just saying.

I see dealers think the stuff in there show room is heaven sent and once you buy their crap it is nothing but a bother to them......sales,service....good luck finding a dealer that is satisfied just selling and fixing the crap they sell......it is a rare occurance.,imho.

OP
OP
dpinvidic

dpinvidic

This guy gets shotgun
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
uh no, it is red because it's the positive post, and it is there to protect against acid corrosion.....Been around batteries for a few years, just saying.

If that is the reason, how come they don't put one on the negative terminal???

The acid corrosion is generally from the fumes during charging.
The charge process creates off gassing (you can see bubbles in the acid during charging.

Every metal piece of the vehicle is grounded, so there is no sense putting a cap over the negative terminal. BUT, if you lean over a battery with a big belt buckle, of drop a wrench "just right", you are now a welder:rockit:

Dan

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
dpinvidic;701165[COLOR="Red" said:
]If that is the reason, how come they don't put one on the negative terminal???[/COLOR]

The acid corrosion is generally from the fumes during charging.
The charge process creates off gassing (you can see bubbles in the acid during charging.

Every metal piece of the vehicle is grounded, so there is no sense putting a cap over the negative terminal. BUT, if you lean over a battery with a big belt buckle, of drop a wrench "just right", you are now a welder:rockit:

Dan

The ion's in the atmosphere are attracted to the positive terminal........same attraction when plating occurs....'cept the process is using air instead of liquid, making the process take much longer. This is why the positive terminal is covered, any body with half a melon disconnects the battery when working on a vehicle....standard operating procedure.....least thats the way I was taught.........( prolly from a guy with half a melon,lol)

petesnchz

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RAM EXPRESS SINGLE CAB
Engine
To vent about a bad experience is fine. But to say that all dealers and all service writers and techs are bad is dumb. I'm a tech and I can tell you guys many stories about customers complaining or making a scene just to try and get something free. Or bring in a car with an issue they clearly caused and swear they had nothing to do with it. But I'm not going around saying that EVERY customer is a douche or a liar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
dpinvidic

dpinvidic

This guy gets shotgun
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
To vent about a bad experience is fine. But to say that all dealers and all service writers and techs are bad is dumb. I'm a tech and I can tell you guys many stories about customers complaining or making a scene just to try and get something free. Or bring in a car with an issue they clearly caused and swear they had nothing to do with it. But I'm not going around saying that EVERY customer is a douche or a liar.

My apologies, you are absolutely right. It is not fair to lump all of the techs and service writers into one category. This thread started because I rarely hire people to do things for me. Partly because I am a tightwad, and partly because I am very picky about how things are done. I have only gone to the dealer for warranty work , so out of the handful of times that I have gone, I have had bad luck.

Just curious, out of all the techs that work at your place, what percentage of them would you let work on your personal vehicle?

Dan

OP
OP
dpinvidic

dpinvidic

This guy gets shotgun
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The ion's in the atmosphere are attracted to the positive terminal........same attraction when plating occurs....'cept the process is using air instead of liquid, making the process take much longer. This is why the positive terminal is covered, any body with half a melon disconnects the battery when working on a vehicle....standard operating procedure.....least thats the way I was taught.........( prolly from a guy with half a melon,lol)

If that is you in your profile picture, I will believe anything you say...
Plating is done by electrolysis, which requires an electric current, and yes, negative ions carries the dissolved metal for deposition. But corrosion is the sulfuric acid reacting with the lead in the battery terminals. Thats why baking soda also helps, because it naturalizes the acid. I am sure you have seen the hold down brackets get all corroded as well, and they are at ground potential with the chassis.

In regards to half a melon, that might be me. If I am changing a belt, or a valve cover gasket, I don't bother disconnecting the battery. It is way too much trouble to reset everything when I am not working around electrical connections AND I have a cover on the positive terminal of the battery:help:

Danb

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7

as a customer , I went to the dealer saying my acc. didn't work anymore, one turn past engine off, according to the diagram..........needless to say my acc. works fine,one turn past OFF!! Dealer pointed this out to me............:33:

that my freinds is being a *******,lmao!! guilty as charged!!:weld:

petesnchz

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RAM EXPRESS SINGLE CAB
Engine
I'm in a pretty good dealer so there might be just a couple of guys I wouldn't be 100% comfortable with. But that's because there young and this is something that takes experience.

Rockgt302

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm not saying all dealers suck either, my experience with my SHO was inexcusable on any level. To have a box of left over parts is horrible not to mention the subframe shifting is unsafe and I had to drive my kids in the car. The dealer I took it to after that was great, they found all the problems and helped for the buy back. I don't know how the service dept that I got this ram is yet, one dealer I usually use is great service wise but they play games with the price and financing so I didn't buy from them.

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
they all play a little with pricing, I just love the 840.00 dollar destination chg already preprinted on the bill of sale......( the dealer I use has this)