Injectors, valves, shaking!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mrjesse2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm new to this forum but as many of you I have a Dodge Ram and I love it! Everything is great about the truck. The only thing that I'm having trouble with right now is the injectors. (I believe) I checked the spark plugs, they're fine. Could, they're fine. But somehow when I stop at a light then accelerate before hitting 1k it shakes then after that it accelerates just fine. And sometimes when I accelerate to much the same thing happens. And it shakes as well. Does anyone have a clue of what this is? I cleaned the injectors already, I poured a can of injector cleaner 3 days ago but the same this is happening. Help!! 2010 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie edition. 5.7 gas

Last edited:

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Check engine light on?

OP
OP
M

Mrjesse2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes and I checked it already. It says it's the 3 cylinder but everything it fine. Spark plugs and coils as well.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
What have to done to check the plugs,coil, and injector?

OP
OP
M

Mrjesse2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Switched the coil to check if that was the problem and it worked fine. It just that cylinder that's not working. I unplug the coil and there's no change in the engine whatsoever. I unplug other coil and the engine shakes. Noticing the discharge
The injectors I just used some Seafoam to clean it but that's about it? I thought they'd be dirty or something but it's been 3 days and no change at all

Last edited:

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
If you've already swapped the coil with a known good cylinder, then do the same with plugs, then the injector. Run it or drive it for a bit after you've swapped each part and check for codes again to see if the misfire moves. If the misfire moves then you know what the problem is.

If after swapping all those parts and it doesn't change, then using a test light make sure the coil and injector are getting a pulse from the PCM to fire. If that's good do a compression test next.

OP
OP
M

Mrjesse2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You mean Change the plugs, all 16 of them correct? The coils I did the swap already and it worked fine

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
No what I mean is, take both plugs from cylinder 3 and swap them with say cylinder 2. Do the same thing with the coil and injector. Do these one at a time, after you've swapped each component, clear the code if you can. Then drive it so the issue happens, and check for codes again. If the code is now for cylinder 2, then whatever component you swapped is the problem.

edemce

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Switched the coil to check if that was the problem and it worked fine. It just that cylinder that's not working. I unplug the coil and there's no change in the engine whatsoever. I unplug other coil and the engine shakes. Noticing the discharge
The injectors I just used some Seafoam to clean it but that's about it? I thought they'd be dirty or something but it's been 3 days and no change at all

If you unplug the coil and there is no change then your coil pack is dead. When you unplug each coil the motor should sound like crap, that means the coil packs are working.

You could have a dead injector. Do you have a scan tool that lets you do some minor adjustments? You can check your injector rates to see if they are working.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mrjesse2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I checked the coil on a different cylinder and it was working just fine. It's just that cylinder that's not working. Plugs were fine as well. It's ok the inside. The check engine lights just tells me it's the 3rd cylinder but both plugs and coils are working fine.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Jesse: I am crossing my fingers that you Don't have issues with that #3 cylinder Lifter and Cam lobe... If your Coil and Plug are fine?

I have read about others have this same issue and in turns out to be the Lifters and Cam Lobe...

I hope this is not the case... I don't mean to throw a very negative post out here, but it is the first thing that came to mind after the coil showing to be fine and spark plug...

Hopefully it is a Much Easier Fix!

Last edited:

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
What is the actual code you get? Is it P0303 Cylinder 3 misfire. If it is then follow what I said to do about swapping the coils,plugs, injector. Then performing a compression test if everything else is good.

OP
OP
M

Mrjesse2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No what I mean is, take both plugs from cylinder 3 and swap them with say cylinder 2. Do the same thing with the coil and injector. Do these one at a time, after you've swapped each component, clear the code if you can. Then drive it so the issue happens, and check for codes again. If the code is now for cylinder 2, then whatever component you swapped is the problem.

Yes, the code is P0303 and says it has misfires on that cylinder. Already did the swap and it was the same. The only thing I didn't change was the Injector. I didn't have time to do that but I'll do it later and will late you know if anything happens! Quick question, how accurate would it be for the valve itself to be the problem? I'm hoping it's only the injectors!!

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
It's hard to say if it's a valve problem or not. There's a lot of things that can cause a misfire. If spark/fuel is not the problem, then it very well could be mechanical. Such as valve springs, the valves themselves,cam,lifters, low compression. Without doing some tricky diagnostics there's no way to do more than guess. Could also be a PCM issue or faulty wiring.

OP
OP
M

Mrjesse2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's hard to say if it's a valve problem or not. There's a lot of things that can cause a misfire. If spark/fuel is not the problem, then it very well could be mechanical. Such as valve springs, the valves themselves,cam,lifters, low compression. Without doing some tricky diagnostics there's no way to do more than guess. Could also be a PCM issue or faulty wiring.

I really hope it's just the injector or a PCM issue because an issue on the valves is a little bit pricy and ink the dealer could fix that. But hopefully it's just the injector. Thank you so much for your help! I really appreciate it

OP
OP
M

Mrjesse2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Jesse: I am crossing my fingers that you Don't have issues with that #3 cylinder Lifter and Cam lobe... If your Coil and Plug are fine?

I have read about others have this same issue and in turns out to be the Lifters and Cam Lobe...

I hope this is not the case... I don't mean to throw a very negative post out here, but it is the first thing that came to mind after the coil showing to be fine and spark plug...

Hopefully it is a Much Easier Fix!

I hope so too, my only hope is that the issue is with the injector. I didn't have to check it today but I will make sure it's working properly and if not fix it and it that's not the case I'll take it to the dealer over the weekend. Thank you so much for your help!

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I hope so too, my only hope is that the issue is with the injector. I didn't have to check it today but I will make sure it's working properly and if not fix it and it that's not the case I'll take it to the dealer over the weekend. Thank you so much for your help!
If you don't mind me asking what kind and weight oil are you running ? And filter ?

OP
OP
M

Mrjesse2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you don't mind me asking what kind and weight oil are you running ? And filter ?

I bought the truck a couple of months ago and my dad did the last oil change. I'm doing it again this weekend but I'm using synthetic oil. I believe 530 Mobil synthetic oil

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
As I told you in another post, it may be injector. I had exactly same issue. Spark plug had ash under it when dealer checked, did you check your spark plugs for ash or residue?

That truck you bought used and it seems to have a few scary issues, sorry... Maybe consider selling it as who knows how much you'll spend fixing it all, or if you'll be able to fix it. How many miles it has?

Good luck

OP
OP
M

Mrjesse2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It has 56k miles. I did check spark plugs and on that specific volunteer they did have ash and I had just replaced them so those spark plugs had been there for about 1500 miles. My only answer right now is a stuck lifter because supposedly the injectors were fine. A mechanic told me that if it was a bad lifter the ticking noise would be present all the time. And my ticking sound goes away after 1500-2000 rpm. I'm taking it to the dealer this weekend and waiting for a shop to give me a price on the lifter fix.