Installing Auxiliary Switch Panel in 2015 Ram 2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

robval1987

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Longhorn Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This post is made from several other posts that I found and some wire working and custom wiring to make work. So if your not good with wiring get some help from someone.
Well I took what you posted and the info in the private message and it worked out. The switch that I ordered was Mopar part # 68231816AD, that is the number required for trucks that have traction control, tow haul, exhaust brake and rear parking/backup sensors and 1-5 auxiliary switches. You have to remove your trailer brake control and add it into your switch panel (pop out of old one and snap it into the new one). I then removed the black tape on the switch harness freeing up more wire to work with. I then cut five wires,
#1 brown w/orange tracer,*
#2 brown w/purple tracer
(these 2 switches do not require the key to be in the ignition to work, they work all the time so remember to turn them off before leaving your truck),*
#3 brown w/white tracer,*
#4 brown w/light blue tracer,*
#5 tan w/brown tracer
(these 3 switches work with the ignition on, or truck running).*
*(THESE FIVE WIRES ARE FOR YOUR GROUND TO YOUR RELAYS ONLY, DO NOT ADD ANY POWER TO THESE WIRES! THEY ONLY COMPLETE A GROUND EFFECT.)
I tagged my wires with numbers corresponding to the number on the switch. I applied heat shrink to all my wires and screwed the switch back into place. I then closed up my center counsel and will build my relay block and be back with photos of this.

Well I finished the wiring on the Aux switch panel and it turned out great. I purchased these few items from my local O'Reillys Auto Parts store. 5 each 12 volt 30 amp 4 prong relays ($ 6.00 each), 1 each 5 gang fuse box with side connectors ($12.00), Radio Shack for 2 packages of 6 amp diodes, 4 in each pack, you need 5 total ($3.95×2=$7.90), miscellaneous connectors and wire. Don't forget that aux switches 1&2 are hot all the time, and aux switches 3,4&5 are run with key in either acc/run position. I began by attaching all 5 relays together with double sided tape then attached them to my project board (5×8 piece of plastic). I then attached the fuse box. I then daisy chained a (12 gauge) wire to terminal #30 on each relay then out to the battery with a 30 amp fuse holder (fuse removed for safety reason for now) and connected it to the driver's side positive battery terminal. I then ran a 2nd wire (16 gauge) from the same post with a 10 amp fuse holder (again remove fuse for now) then to the relays and daisy chained it to relays 1&2 to terminal #86. Relay 3,4&5 daisy chained to terminal #86 and get spliced/wired (16 gauge) into the 12 volt supply from the cig/aux charger. I then wired in all 5 relays (14 gauge) wire from terminal #87 to the new fuse box. I then connected the wires from the switch panel to a diode (6 amp) to the appropriate relay and attached it to terminal #85 (which is the trigger for each relay). Place the two fuses in their fuse holders and check to ensure you have power at your new fuse box with a light probe or volt meter when the switch is activated. Then connect what ever accessories you want to use with your aux switches (remember not to overload your new fuse box) to the new fuse box (don't for get to istall a fuse). If fail to put in the diodes you will see that when you turn on any Aux switch all 5 leds will illuminate on the Aux switches (it will not activate the switch, only illuminate the button). You need to ensure you put the diode in line correctly or the switch won't work, remember diodes only allow current to flow one way, and even though we are using a negative trigger it can get slight voltage to illuminate the leds. Here are a few photos and a hand drawn illistration (it is in different colors to help with viewing) I wired mine mostly in red wire. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 2015-10-20 20.53.49.jpg
    2015-10-20 20.53.49.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 1,688
  • 2015-10-20 20.52.47.jpg
    2015-10-20 20.52.47.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 5,705
  • 2015-10-20 21.12.16.jpg
    2015-10-20 21.12.16.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 842
  • auxplug3.jpg
    auxplug3.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 1,860
  • 2015-10-20 21.13.21.jpg
    2015-10-20 21.13.21.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 1,882

darthdzl

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Tradesman RCSB
Engine
V6
EDIT: Never mind. I misread this as "1500". I'm pretty sure you have a totally different dash full of switches than my 1500 does.

Where in the panel does that bank of switches fit? Would I use the same one if I don't have the options you listed (of course I have traction control & tow/haul, I think everybody does)?

I'll be adding driving lights at some point, extra backup lights, and maybe a couple other things.

Also, can you take a picture of the switches in your dash, and possibly lit up? (You'd think with as many people sell that, at least ONE of them would have snapped a pic, but it seems not.)

Last edited:

Ram Norris

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just finished my install.

I just finished my install on this setup and nothing works. The only thing I can think I may have done wrong is install my diodes backwards. Would this cause things to not work?

I have switched around my diodes and still get nothing. It is acting like my switch isn't grounded. How and where do I complete the ground for this switch?

MurderedOut2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Need help guys.

I have a 2014 ram 2500 and I have already built the relay bank and connected the replaced dash switch (with the aux additions), with the diodes between the switches and the relays. As of right now I get power to both spots on the relay (each individually fused), and all of my factor buttons (exhaust brake, ESP, traction control.....) work properly. I am lost as to what could be the issue. I have 2 fused lines running to 2 spots on the relays, lines (with diodes) from switch harness to relay, and finally a power line to my led bar. Has anyone had the same issue and what possible fixes are there (if any)? Any thoughts would help.

MurderedOut2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Update

I used the schematics from the illustration above for this. I have power coming from the battery on both red lines to the relay. The green wire has power running to the harness. The blue wire (going from relay to fuse box and then led bar) doesn't have power at all. Not when it's hooked up to the switches and diode which was tried both ways and finally removed so it would work but it would light the light on the switch continuously. Not sure what else could be the issue. The light bar is grounded proprely and I even wrapped a bare end on the neg side of the battery straight to it, bypassing the frame ground that it's currently using and am getting nothing. Any ideas?

Montanajon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Great information! Is there any way to find out where the wires go that are already in the plug? Instead of cutting them and putting in new wires? I am installing the 5 bank aux switch and on mine the plug has the 5 wires already, just wondering if it is possible to find them someplace.