Installing OEM backup cam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jcarden10

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@ mpg , when I use your Post 280 link above it takes me to a post about ( Giant **** on a Redhead ?) Hey man I can't make this stuff up LOL !

:lol: are you sure? I didn't have that problem.

jcarden10

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm assuming when 00R/T activated his camera via the scan tool that he got the gridlines working?

Didn't see this earlier. As far as I know his lines are working. He said he didn't have to do anything other than change the "Rear Camera Present" setting to "Set".

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
@jcarden10 , if I remember correctly the BCM C-5 Socket 45 wire Or/DB connected to the purple wire ends up at the camera on a 22-24awg light blue wire .
Have you checked for 12 ~vdc there while in reverse ?
I expect you will have it there as well , if not then check the i550 @ the tailgate.

I still believe ultimately you will not have the Active gridlines Untill the radio has the settings .

Did you purchase your truck new , are you certin this RA2 didn't come out of a Ram van or non Ram truck ?

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Lmao. Quoted Post 280 link fixed. That's Tapatalk vs PC based links for ya.

Sent from my non-flammable Galaxy S7!

jcarden10

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@jcarden10 , if I remember correctly the BCM C-5 Socket 45 wire Or/DB connected to the purple wire ends up at the camera on a 22-24awg light blue wire .
Have you checked for 12 ~vdc there while in reverse ?
I expect you will have it there as well , if not then check the i550 @ the tailgate.

I still believe ultimately you will not have the Active gridlines Untill the radio has the settings .

Did you purchase your truck new , are you certin this RA2 didn't come out of a Ram van or non Ram truck ?

You are correct about the wiring. I checked the voltage at the tailgate to camera harness and then checked the continuity on the blue wire in the camera harness, so everything should be good there.

The truck was a certified pre-owned from one of the local dealers. To my knowledge, the radio is stock. The window sticker and online build sheet both say Uconnect 5.0, but I have no way of knowing if the radio was changed out for any reason.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hmm , interesting .

jcarden10

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm downloading the software update with @mpg's VIN right now. I have my doubt's that it will make a difference, but I'm going to try it and see.

I've already made up my mind that I'm going to swap out the RA2 with a RA3 or 4. I bought the bezel on ebay this morning! Now just need to find a good deal on the brains! What's the best deal you guys have seen or heard of on an RA3 or 4?

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm downloading the software update with @mpg's VIN right now. I have my doubt's that it will make a difference, but I'm going to try it and see.

I've already made up my mind that I'm going to swap out the RA2 with a RA3 or 4. I bought the bezel on ebay this morning! Now just need to find a good deal on the brains! What's the best deal you guys have seen or heard of on an RA3 or 4?
An RA3 non Nav version Just sold for $200 here in the want adds . They are usually about 300 . As for the the RA4 8.4NA I've seen them as low as $350 but usually closer to $ 550 .
You have a 14 Ram , so your in luck because you have the 7 speed blower .
All you need is
911 delete plug
RA3 /4
Single zone bezel / which you have
Hvac module
Conversion harness .

You should already have the mirror with microphones.

I'm sure you are aware Sir , but just go here
http://www.ramforum.com/showthread.php?p=1190144

Everything you need to know is there . Just start at Mpgrimm2 post #2 .
Good luck Sir !

Last edited:

jcarden10

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow..that's a lot less than I've seen so far; at least on ebay. The cheapest RA3 I can find is around $400-$450 and the RA4's are at least $625. I've been looking in the For Sale section almost daily for one to pop up. I've been looking for 2-3 months now and haven't seen too many. The one's I do see I'm usually a day or two late to the party.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L

I doubt it will be any different, especially if you have the xxxx 20.1 version.

Have you tried the following..
a soft reset of your Uconnect system:

1) Put your vehicle into the accessories mode (ACC or RUN) **For keyless start (push-button) vehicles: push the start button twice without having your foot on the gas or brake pedal**
2) Hold down the Phone and voice recognition buttons (or the volume and tuner buttons on your radio), at the same time, for thirty seconds
3) Let go of the buttons
4) Turn vehicle off
5) Open driver’s side door for thirty seconds
6) Close door
7) Restart vehicle
8) Let the media centre load up and see if concern is still present

If this doesn't work I would recommend visiting your dealership for further diagnosis. Let me know if you have any additional questions!

Or I've seen RLK suggest this...

Disconnect battery, touch the 2 battery leads together, and let it sit overnight or a few hrs to reset all the modules. And try again.

mpicc84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
May have been asked in this thread, but this thread is now over 100 pages long...

If I buy the OEM backup camera and pair it with my Jensen headunit, rather then a OEM headunit. Do I still need the dealer flash?

I purchased non-oem cameras, and I'm not having good luck with them...

Ram Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
Finishing up my install tonight... Does $110 sound high to flash the XAC sales code???

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
May have been asked in this thread, but this thread is now over 100 pages long...

If I buy the OEM backup camera and pair it with my Jensen headunit, rather then a OEM headunit. Do I still need the dealer flash?

I purchased non-oem cameras, and I'm not having good luck with them...

As far as looking through the thread, all the relevant posts for the official backup camera kit are linked in post 10, including downloadable directions.

That is not a straight forward question and my guess is no one really wants to touch it, but here goes...

No you wouldn't need a flash, but there are stipulations.

- you would likely have to get an oem to aftermarket CanBus backup camera interface module so that your radio gets the backup trigger signal it needs and the factory Camera video signal at pins 31 & 32 get converted to a standard composite video (yellow) plug.

ie: CRUX SWRCR-59D
http://www.cruxinterfacing.com/products/SWRCR-59D/index.html

This is all dependent on what you have already done, what factory harnesses you've cut into etc. You would need to start a separate thread for help with that if you have further questions, since it really is outside the scope of this thread about installing the oem camera to the factory radios (although the same thing if you get that Crux module).

Good luck.

Finishing up my install tonight... Does $110 sound high to flash the XAC sales code???
Seems about right for an hour of labor, even though they can probably do it in 20 mins if they know what they're doing.

Last edited:

mpicc84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As far as looking through the thread, all the relevant posts for the official backup camera kit are linked in post 10, including downloadable directions.

That is not a straight forward question and my guess is no one really wants to touch it, but here goes...

No you wouldn't need a flash, but there are stipulations.

- you would likely have to get an oem to aftermarket CanBus backup camera interface module so that your radio gets the backup trigger signal it needs and the factory Camera video signal at pins 31 & 32 get converted to a standard composite video (yellow) plug.

ie: CRUX SWRCR-59D
http://www.cruxinterfacing.com/products/SWRCR-59D/index.html

This is all dependent on what you have already done, what factory harnesses you've cut into etc. You would need to start a separate thread for help with that if you have further questions, since it really is outside the scope of this thread about installing the oem camera to the factory radios (although the same thing if you get that Crux module).

Good luck.

Seems about right for an hour of labor, even though they can probably do it in 20 mins if they know what they're doing.

Thank you sir. I'm going to give these "Master Tailgaters" Amazon ones a try once more, if I have issues you will see my thread lol

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
PS:
Got my front camera (Amazon) in the mail today. Now if I can get a good day to install it (apt parking lot is not ideal)96a6cc1aefae8246c9b455434dfdf57a.jpg

Made a Front Camera/video 2 input pigtail to use with the CustomTronix Jailbreak software I picked up. Planned on doing the install today but got behind and will have to wait for the next warm day to do it in the parking lot.[emoji26]

37245f60f4766d0c6851b8d3c8488507.jpg

jsampsell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I gave this kit a go today. I got all the way to tapping in to the wire in the BCM. How is the Sam-hell are you supposed to do anything all the way up there? I can't even get my hands up in between the parking brake mechanism and what appears to be a factory amp. Much less have enough room to splice the wires. Good grief! While I'm interested in how any of you guys have completed this step, I am frustrated to the point that I'll likely just ask the dealership to finish this up while the truck is there to get the XAC code flashed. I'll finish getting the connector to the back of the radio tomorrow but the BCM wire I just can't get to. I absolutely hate not being able to finish a relatively easy install like this but I don't see any other options. Maybe with a fresh mind I'll be able to figure something out tomorrow. Everything else was easy. No big deal at all. Oh well.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I gave this kit a go today. I got all the way to tapping in to the wire in the BCM. How is the Sam-hell are you supposed to do anything all the way up there? I can't even get my hands up in between the parking brake mechanism and what appears to be a factory amp. Much less have enough room to splice the wires. Good grief! While I'm interested in how any of you guys have completed this step, I am frustrated to the point that I'll likely just ask the dealership to finish this up while the truck is there to get the XAC code flashed. I'll finish getting the connector to the back of the radio tomorrow but the BCM wire I just can't get to. I absolutely hate not being able to finish a relatively easy install like this but I don't see any other options. Maybe with a fresh mind I'll be able to figure something out tomorrow. Everything else was easy. No big deal at all. Oh well.

If you have an amp it has to be removed to get to the BCM. It's still a pain without the amp, but I think it's impossible with it in there.

jcarden10

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Did you cut away some of the electrical tape and wire loom? I had to do this just to get enough wire to tap into it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk