Installing OEM backup cam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mattv77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Ok, new member here. I have been on several Ram forums, but this one by far has the best info.
Here's the story. I have a 2017 Power Wagon 2500. I decided I wanted to add the oem back up camera. I did a little research and read about the 8 wires at the tailgate and the wearout jumper. I checked the truck and found that it did have the 8 wires out of the jumper. So I bought a camera, handle, and short harness that is split to the lock and camera and installed them myself. I went to the dealer and had the XAC code added. We got a blue screen that says camera system not available. Then the dealer started checking wires. I don't know what they found out completely, but they told me the 31-32-33 spaces were empty in the back of my radio and I needed to buy the whole kit. I know I have most of the body harness in the truck and everything is good to go in the tailgate. I think I may just need the "radio harness". I am about $450 into this project now with no working camera. Please help!:sad72:

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok, new member here. I have been on several Ram forums, but this one by far has the best info.
Here's the story. I have a 2017 Power Wagon 2500. I decided I wanted to add the oem back up camera. I did a little research and read about the 8 wires at the tailgate and the wearout jumper. I checked the truck and found that it did have the 8 wires out of the jumper. So I bought a camera, handle, and short harness that is split to the lock and camera and installed them myself. I went to the dealer and had the XAC code added. We got a blue screen that says camera system not available. Then the dealer started checking wires. I don't know what they found out completely, but they told me the 31-32-33 spaces were empty in the back of my radio and I needed to buy the whole kit. I know I have most of the body harness in the truck and everything is good to go in the tailgate. I think I may just need the "radio harness". I am about $450 into this project now with no working camera. Please help!:sad72:
Wow ! The entire kit is only about $275 ....I'm pretty sure MPgrimm 2 with M2Mods can help you figure out what you need and I'm pretty sure you won't have to purchase the whole kit .

Will need more info from you on where exactly you have wires populated now though .
I suggest sending MPGRIMM2 a PM .

Actually go to the forums Prefered vendors list and find M2Mods and send the pm there .
Hope this helps !

Mattv77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Thanks! Yeah $160 in parts so far and the rest for the Flash and time spent trouble shooting g at the dealership.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks! Yeah $160 in parts so far and the rest for the Flash and time spent trouble shooting g at the dealership.

Good luck Sir !
At least you've already gotten the XAC Code flashed in and your getting the blue screen with the check your soundings when in reverse

So you have verified at the tailgate disconnect there are 8ea wires going inside the tailgate and 8ea wires GOING TOWARDS THE CAB of the truck correct ?
The 8ea wires going forward towards the cab ARE the important ones .

You've already installed the handle and camera in the tailgate , and have the XAC flashed .
You know sockets 31 , 32 & 33 are empty at the radios C-1 connector.

If the above ^^^^^^ is 100% accurate then this should be an easy fix ....obviously you'll need to populate the radios C-1 connector @ 31 , 32 & 33 .

On another note ...
Did you verify the fuse # 95 for Parkview in your PDC aka Power Distribution Center or fuse box just forward of the battery . Sometimes there's not a fuse there at all , if there is one there check it with a meter to verify it's good , this fuse verification will prevent confusion once you get the rest of the wires installed you need .

I've installed a few of these complete kits , but I haven't pieced one together like your doing here . I know MPGRIMM2 has helped a few guys do this in the past on 13 -16 trucks , I'm hoping your 17 is wired the same .

You would think installing the full kit would be the same steps as piecing one together , but it's not , it's actually pretty different as the factory install is a bit different than the factory add on kit . Strange I know , but true .

Have you had a chance to speak with MPGRIMM2 yet ?

You may be able to look at post # 10 in this thread and find out what you need to do to get the remaining wires installed to the radios C-1 connector @ 31 , 32 , 33 .
Post # 10 has a tremendous amount of info .

Hope this helps !

Last edited:

Mattv77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Good luck Sir !
At least you've already gotten the XAC Code flashed in and your getting the blue screen with the check your soundings when in reverse

So you have verified at the tailgate disconnect there are 8ea wires going inside the tailgate and 8ea wires GOING TOWARDS THE CAB of the truck correct ?
The 8ea wires going forward towards the cab ARE the important ones .

You've already installed the handle and camera in the tailgate , and have the XAC flashed .
You know sockets 31 , 32 & 33 are empty at the radios C-1 connector.

If the above ^^^^^^ is 100% accurate then this should be an easy fix ....obviously you'll need to populate the radios C-1 connector @ 31 , 32 & 33 .

On another note ...
Did you verify the fuse # 95 for Parkview in your PDC aka Power Distribution Center or fuse box just forward of the battery . Sometimes there's not a fuse there at all , if there is one there check it with a meter to verify it's good , this fuse verification will prevent confusion once you get the rest of the wires installed you need .

I've installed a few of these complete kits , but I haven't pieced one together like your doing here . I know MPGRIMM2 has helped a few guys do this in the past on 13 -16 trucks , I'm hoping your 17 is wired the same .

Have you had a chance to speak with MPGRIMM2 yet ?

You may be able to look at post # 10 in this thread and find out what you need to do to get the remaining wires installed to the radios C-1 connector @ 31 , 32 , 33 .
Post # 10 has a tremendous amount of info .

Hope this helps !
I sent him a PM. I do have the 8 wires going to the front from the back. I have also checked the fuse. It also runs the park sense I think and that works fine. I'm really hoping it is just that radio harness and MP can help. I think it's one of the parts you can't buy separate.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I belive you are correct , you can't purchase the harness you need , but MP can probably make it for you , I can't guarantee this as I can't speak for MP , but I'd be suprized if he couldn't help you out .
MP is a wizard, and has lots of tricks in his bag and rumor has it he once stayed at a Holiday Inn Express LOL.

Good luck Sir , keep us informed here on your progress , and take a look at post 10 as well .

Mattv77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Post ten was a big help. That's how I narrowed down the possible problems and new I probably needed to ask "beg" for him to make me a harness.

Mattv77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've only installed the kit on the 1500s , I believe that connector is located under the dash left side near the E brake or near the brake pedal ?

Last edited:

Mattv77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I've only installed the kit on the 1500s , I believe that connector is located under the dash left side near the E brake .

Did DannyMK2 every put the harness in his truck and get everything to work.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Did DannyMK2 every put the harness in his truck and get everything to work.
I think so , I believe the end results was several pages down from post 914

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

It's a damn shame the dealer has charged you near $300 and left you with bad information of you needing to purchase the whole kit

The dealer techs have 100% access to the proprietary factory wireing diagrams for your individual vin# , which means if they were worth their salt electrically they should have been able to determine in minutes ( working backwards from the radios C-1 connector /31 , 32 & 33 ) the 3ea wires you require .
They probably even have the sockets & wires to have pulled this off , unfortunately most dealer techs are not skilled in this type of installation. Some techs are , but they are few and far between .

After looking back here at post 912 ++ it looks like to me you need 3ea wires approximately 70 " long connected from the C-1 connector to the connector near your brake pedal to sockets 17 , 18 & 19 . I'll post pics soon .

2e4157f0f2c4a8e7600463ea75041823.png

ef949f60d021251b79dce8ccefc948ec.jpg

2cdccfb638f617b77c37e2ffc016c3d6.png

e22e1c02fff4e8f00e7a7db8e39635d5.png

3a08210ec7a66226620fdf41c0397cb0.png

e8f8e1b9bf3ef1bb6fb0b0b8272828ab.png

Do you have the connectors pictured above ? If so look at sockets 17 , 18 & 19 are there any wires there ? If not then I think maybe you need to connect from the i315 connector near the brake pedal to the radios C-1 connector like So :
17 to 31
18 to 32
19 to 33

Hopefully MP will chime in as he is much more up to speed on this method than I am

The problem is purchasing the yazaki sockets in small Qty s and having the proper crimping tool for a quality crimp to the wire and the insulation. This is where MPGRIMM2 comes in

Last edited:

Mattv77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
It's a damn shame the dealer has charged you near $300 and left you with bad information of you needing to purchase the whole kit

The dealer techs have 100% access to the proprietary factory wireing diagrams for your individual vin# , which means if they were worth their salt electrically they should have been able to determine in minutes ( working backwards from the radios C-1 connector /31 , 32 & 33 ) the 3ea wires you require .
They probably even have the sockets & wires to have pulled this off , unfortunately most dealer techs are not skilled in this type of installation. Some techs are , but they are few and far between .

After looking back here at post 912 ++ it looks like to me you need 3ea wires approximately 70 " long connected from the C-1 connector to the connector near your brake pedal to sockets 17 , 18 & 19 . I'll post pics soon .

The problem is purchasing the yazaki sockets in small Qty s and having the proper crimping tool for a quality crimp to the wire and the insulation. This is where MPGRIMM2 comes in
Yeah, asked them for a print off of the relevant wiring and they said it would take too much paper.[emoji35] There is a reason I told them to stop and took my truck home. They went at the problem the way I would have, not the way they should have with all their resources. I like the dealer they are good normally. Just disappointed in this case. I doubt they had done it before. Oh well, I hope we have it figured out now.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I edited my post 1235 above by adding some pictures .
Hope it helps !

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
PM's sent. Thanks for the assist Ronnie. I've got several Harnesses to make and I don't want to disappoint anyone. Being out of town for 3 weeks didn't help.

Hopefully he can trace out the 4 connectors and id exactly what segment he's missing. Also needs to id what Connector he has at the brake pedal, i315 or Inline-Body IP Connector?

M² Mods - From my non Flammable S7!

Mattv77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
PM's sent. Thanks for the assist Ronnie. I've got several Harnesses to make and I don't want to disappoint anyone. Being out of town for 3 weeks didn't help.

Hopefully he can trace out the 4 connectors and id exactly what segment he's missing. Also needs to id what Connector he has at the brake pedal, i315 or Inline-Body IP Connector?

M² Mods - From my non Flammable S7!
If it helps, it is a 2017 power wagon. I will check and take pictures of connections tomorrow. It's still a little chilly outside here in MT.[emoji6]