Installing OEM backup cam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jdom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
looks like I'm good on the body harness wires, there is only 2 spots open of the 10... I'm not sure what im looking at under the dash yet. I'll have to study the pictures and figure out the angle they were taken so I can locate the connector.

Mattv77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
With the white release

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
If you don't have these three wires then you need the radio harness. Ohm the 3 corresponding pins in the other half of the connector to the tail gate to verify the rest of the wiring is complete.3d3fcf83159de38927a949a2a827dcdd.jpg

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
looks like I'm good on the body harness wires, there is only 2 spots open of the 10... I'm not sure what im looking at under the dash yet. I'll have to study the pictures and figure out the angle they were taken so I can locate the connector.
Be Aware!
Make sure those 8 wires are not just a short pig tail/extension that only goes towards the cab for about 8 inches on some 2500/3500 trucks. There's a example/pictures linked in post 25...
http://www.ramforum.com/showthread.php?p=978557

*All useful links/info gathered at post 10

You also need to determine which type of connector setup you have at the brake pedal area, i315 or Inline-Body/IP
See recent post 1250 http://www.ramforum.com/showthread.php?p=1489680

Mattv77, did you already get the rest of the harness installed that I sent your way?
(I got wrapped up with the closing on my house and didn't send you any additional info yet. Will get on that in the morning when I get back up).

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Mattv77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Be Aware!
Make sure those 8 wires are not just a short pig tail/extension that only goes towards the cab for about 8 inches on some 2500/3500 trucks. There's a example/pictures linked in post 10.

You also need to determine which type of connector setup you have at the brake pedal area, i315 or Inline-Body/IP
See recent post 1250 http://www.ramforum.com/showthread.php?p=1489680

Mattv77, did you already get the rest of the harness installed that I sent your way?
(I got wrapped up with the closing on my house and didn't send you any additional info yet. Will get on that in the morning when I get back up).

I got the harness, but haven't attempted installing yet. Was in Billings for a state bowling tournament this weekend and loaded a train at work today for 13 hours. May try tomorrow night. Any extra info would be great! Thanks.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I got the harness, but haven't attempted installing yet. Was in Billings for a state bowling tournament this weekend and loaded a train at work today for 13 hours. May try tomorrow night. Any extra info would be great! Thanks.

Thought I had a template/email to send you with everything, but I will have to gather up my notes and send em out in the morning. (I'm out of town for a few days, but should have it on my laptop).

Jdom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Ok... I almost took a picture of that connector too, dang... I'll check it at lunch, but when I was searching for the connector I think that plug had those wires.

Maybe the sun will continue shining for this dog!

Jdom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
it is sunny and I'm the dogs ass today!! Looks like I'm in luck!!

:happy107:

or am I looking at something wrong?

On a side note.... dealership called me back and said

303 for the kit
250 for install
unknown if flash is included...

... what a joke

He told me the part number for the kit but I didn't have anything to write with and I was driving... it was 822******* ended in AB

Attachments

• IMG_20170425_095438.jpg
    IMG_20170425_095438.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 27

Mattv77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
it is sunny and I'm the dogs ass today!! Looks like I'm in luck!!

:happy107:

or am I looking at something wrong?

On a side note.... dealership called me back and said

303 for the kit
250 for install
unknown if flash is included...

... what a joke

He told me the part number for the kit but I didn't have anything to write with and I was driving... it was 822******* ended in AB
This looks good! Did you check the harness at the bumper by the spare? Like mpgrimm said, there is a short jump on some 2500s. Make sure it's 8 wires at both ends. Then take the inside cover off the tailgate and take a picture. To me it looks like you need about $130 in parts and a Flash from the dealer.

Jdom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I'll check to make sure the the 8 wire run the full distance at lunch. I had an excuse earlier to run home and snap the picture of the connector but forgot to see if the 8 wires ran the full distance.

The salesman told me when I was test driving that the truck had the backup cam... and i didn't even think to double check because it had the 8.4 screen.. and it has the rest of the options I was looking for. I signed a no verbal contracts agreement so it is what it is...

O'well I beat them up pretty good on the price so I cant complain to much. I'm hoping they will flash the code for free because the salesmans screwup, just have to make the 88 mile drive back to Great Falls because i pissed off the local dealership by having them try to find me the truck I was looking for and then buying from someone else at a way better price point... lol

Mattv77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I'll check to make sure the the 8 wire run the full distance at lunch. I had an excuse earlier to run home and snap the picture of the connector but forgot to see if the 8 wires ran the full distance.

The salesman told me when I was test driving that the truck had the backup cam... and i didn't even think to double check because it had the 8.4 screen.. and it has the rest of the options I was looking for. I signed a no verbal contracts agreement so it is what it is...

O'well I beat them up pretty good on the price so I cant complain to much. I'm hoping they will flash the code for free because the salesmans screwup, just have to make the 88 mile drive back to Great Falls because i pissed off the local dealership by having them try to find me the truck I was looking for and then buying from someone else at a way better price point... lol
Yeah, I bought my truck out of Nebraska, but they brought it to Jamestown, ND for me. I dealt with the dealership in Sidney to add the camera but they weren't much help. Post when you check the jumper in the back by the spare and get a pic inside the tailgate. Then I can give you part numbers for the camera, camera y harness, and tailgate handle.

Jdom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
My luck ran out, there was the short extension that went to just 2 wires on the body harness... the 2 wires plug into the 8 and then plugs into another connector that has 8 wires going into the gate. Ill have to take the cover off tonight to get a picture of the inside.

on a happier note... The GF dealer called me back and said free flash if I go down there. They also said they are going to give me 2 jugs of DEF because it only had half a tank when I purchased it on Sunday...

Im guessing I need the body harness, the handle with cam and the Y harness.

Mattv77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
My luck ran out, there was the short extension that went to just 2 wires on the body harness... the 2 wires plug into the 8 and then plugs into another connector that has 8 wires going into the gate. Ill have to take the cover off tonight to get a picture of the inside.

on a happier note... The GF dealer called me back and said free flash if I go down there. They also said they are going to give me 2 jugs of DEF because it only had half a tank when I purchased it on Sunday...

Im guessing I need the body harness, the handle with cam and the Y harness.
Yep, but without the body harness it probably cheaper and easier to just get the whole kit ($250 on eBay).

Jdom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
PN 82214240 ?

or is it different for the 2017? The local parts guy said it ended in AB... but the only one that i could find that ends in AB is the mirror one...

Mattv77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
PN 82214240 ?

or is it different for the 2017? The local parts guy said it ended in AB... but the only one that i could find that ends in AB is the mirror one...
That's the one!

Mattv77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi

Got mine installed. Picture looks good, but no back up lines? Gonna have read some more.ff58bc290d71175f9c2ce44d5cbae58b.jpg

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Deleted

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited: