is my transmission or drive shaft/rear end about to go?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yoox_II

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I just got a new timing chain put in. When I apply the accelerator any more than 70% ,the engine will die out. I believe this means my timing is a little off. However I also notice a very distinct and fast vibration when I am trying to accelerate. When the truck is cold, I have 0 acceleration. I am parked on my flat driveway, and my engine revs up but the truck moves maybe an inch. While is is happening, I feel a harsh vibrating. I cannot tell if it is up front in the engine bay or underneath me in the tranny or drive shaft or rear end. Can a vibration like this, and absolutely no acceleration, be caused by off timing? Once the engine heats up, it runs mostly okay. I did have this problem before my new timing chain was put in, but my old timing chain was very worn and the timing was set as far ahead as possible to compensate for it a little.
Edit: transmission fluid level is good, gears shift smoothly from 1 2 and 3 (automatic), however when it's cold they shift very late (engine will rev to the sky before deciding to shift up) then it warms up and running behaves normally.

Last edited:

The War Wagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 Magnum
Was the vibration there BEFORE the timing chain was replaced? That chain's gotta be checked out first.

OP
OP
Y

Yoox_II

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Basically, my old timing chain was worn. Timing was set ahead to compensate

New timing chain is in, and timing was set back to default normal

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I highly doubt that the rear end is causing this. I would shoot for the transmission being bad. When it only moves an inch when you Rev the engine, is the truck cold? Like sitting overnight or similar? It sounds like the trans doesn't have any pressure

OP
OP
Y

Yoox_II

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I highly doubt that the rear end is causing this. I would shoot for the transmission being bad. When it only moves an inch when you Rev the engine, is the truck cold? Like sitting overnight or similar? It sounds like the trans doesn't have any pressure

Yes, when it sits over night this happens. Once it warms up for the day, the revs will match my acceleration and power.

OP
OP
Y

Yoox_II

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The vibration remains once the truck warms up too and once i t has proper power again.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does the fluid smell burnt? Try a trans additive and see if that will help but im will to bet the trans is the culprit.

OP
OP
Y

Yoox_II

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I set my timing about 12 degrees ahead from where it was after the new timing chain was put in. It mostly got rid of the hesitation when accelerating, but I don't think I want to set it ahead anymore than that because more timing can cause some problems. I won't know of this solved the vibration issue until tomorrow after I let it sit over night. Hopefully it's the solution, and my transmission is fine. Haha...

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
sounds like Trans fluid level is low. Try shifting into neutral after you start it in the morning. converter fills faster in neutral.

1985 W350

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Imbalance in the 318 at idle can be caused by multiple primary bad actors:
internals (e.g rods) , harmonic damper or the torque converter. The 318 is internally balanced but using the wrong torque converter (w/weights) can cause this very problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ftank