Just picked up a 2014 2500 whining noise already....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
johnny_wilson

johnny_wilson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4LHemi
They put it back together, drove it and said the noise is still there. They are waiting for Chrysler to tell them what to do because they aren’t sure what should be done at this point. They said it could be days before they hear from Chrysler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
They put it back together, drove it and said the noise is still there. They are waiting for Chrysler to tell them what to do because they aren’t sure what should be done at this point. They said it could be days before they hear from Chrysler.

Makes sense as a noisy gear set can only be fixed with a new gear set. I know the noise well and it is very annoying when it is happening.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The whining is caused by the gear setup. When setting up gears you often need to drive the truck to know if the lash is correct for that specific axle. That obviously doesn't happen at AAM. Will the tech that resets up your gears drive your truck and adjust lash or depth if they still whine? Or will he just put them in and send them down the road regardless of sound if they fall within specification ? Probably the latter. They might also tell you everything is fixed and let you figure whether or not it is on your own.

It's a depth issue, it doesn't have to be off by much to make noise. Mine did it but only on slight deceleration, it took 3 dealers to finally open the rear end and throw a new gearset in it. The dealership has a guy who specifically works on axles so he actually knew what he was doing.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

reloaderguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
It's a depth issue, it doesn't have to be off by much to make noise. Mine did it but only on slight deceleration, it took 3 dealers to finally open the rear end and throw a new gearset in it. The dealership has a guy who specifically works on axles so he actually knew what he was doing.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Not if the gears are showing a proper pattern. If the pinion is too deep the pattern will show it. I assume the factory is using pattern and preload as the only criteria since the axles are assembled prior to the truck assembly.

Iron Outlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Mine whines since new. My new tires a louder though so I've just forgot about it. Worse from 50-60 when I let off the gas pedal.

OP
OP
johnny_wilson

johnny_wilson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4LHemi
Just got a call from the dealer. Chrysler told them to put a ring and pinion gear set in it. None in stock so Looks like I won't have a result until mid next week. Chrysler is saying that if the ring and pinion doesn't fix it, then it is a normal noise.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
My '13 started making rear whine right around 90k miles. Dealer said it was normal.......took it back multiple times. Nope, that roots type blower under the rear of your truck is perfectly normal! Couple months later it was so bad I was scared to drive it. Drove it back to the dealer to trade it in, and of course they bring up the noise. I had a stack of paperwork from THEIR service department saying the noise was normal. lol I straight up told the sales manager "you think it's bad? Really? The monkeys in your shop don't think so. So, you deal with them and don't low ball me on my trade offer".

reloaderguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Just got a call from the dealer. Chrysler told them to put a ring and pinion gear set in it. None in stock so Looks like I won't have a result until mid next week. Chrysler is saying that if the ring and pinion doesn't fix it, then it is a normal noise.

Let the dealer do the install and if it still whines take it to an axle shop and have them do a re-install. That type of work is not within a warranty dealer's competency.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
So the dealer called last night and said that they opened a star case. They said they haven't heard anything yet other than the noise is normal. I told them that if it was normal, all trucks would have this noise and if i test drove a new truck that sounded like this, I would never buy it. He actually said that he would be willing to "just start replacing parts". I have a camping trip at the end of May so if the rear gears are replaced, I would either not be able to break the gears in properly or I will have to cancel the trip. It amazes me that they say this is normal but I've driven a 2015 with the same gears and an f-150 with 4.30 gears and neither have any noise a all. He said he would let me know today of any updates.

You can “break the gears in while towing”. Just use more caution with take off and stopping. Baby it more than you normally do.

I Love My 2018 RAM 2500HD 4x4 6.4L. USMC (ret)

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Not if the gears are showing a proper pattern. If the pinion is too deep the pattern will show it. I assume the factory is using pattern and preload as the only criteria since the axles are assembled prior to the truck assembly.
Pattern, preload, and backlash. The only thing that will cause a noise like that is going to be pinion depth, I have yet to see a preload be out of spec, or backlash.

OP
OP
johnny_wilson

johnny_wilson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4LHemi
The dealers should be setting that though. How do you verify that they are doing it correctly?

reloaderguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The dealers should be setting that though. How do you verify that they are doing it correctly?

If they're still making noise you can paint the ring gear with gear marking compound. You can easily find the procedure for loading and spinning the carrier in a google search.

OP
OP
johnny_wilson

johnny_wilson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4LHemi
Well, the ring and pinion came in this morning and they were putting them in today. I'll know tomorrow what the result is. I have to pick it up tomorrow so I san put a few hundred miles on it before I pull the camper next weekend. If it isn't fixed, it will go back in when I get back. I'll update tomorrow.

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Remember to break it in correctly, don't just get on the interstate and run it for 300 miles.

OP
OP
johnny_wilson

johnny_wilson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4LHemi
Absolutely, I dont need to get on the freeway to get to work. All between 30 and 50mph. Shouldn't be a problem.

McBroom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
[emoji4]

McBroom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Well, the ring and pinion came in this morning and they were putting them in today. I'll know tomorrow what the result is. I have to pick it up tomorrow so I san put a few hundred miles on it before I pull the camper next weekend. If it isn't fixed, it will go back in when I get back. I'll update tomorrow.

Always ask for your old parts to be placed in the bed of the truck for your inspection.
Your only real insurance that the work was done properly

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca