Kicker shallow mount 8" sub in factory box

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I know a lot of people upgrade to the Pioneer sub in the stock box from the alpine system. Unfortunately, I cannot find one locally. However, I do have a place that sells the Kicker Comp shallow mount sub. Both are 2 ohm DVC subs. The Kicker has sightly less sensitivity vs the pioneer (81.8 db vs 86 db), which I dont think would be too big of a difference for a sub (could be wrong though). The bigger thing I am wondering about is the power requirement. The Pioneer is rated at 150w RMS, but the Kicker is rated at 300w RMS. Both are 600w max. I would assume it would be pretty under powered running it off of the stock alpine amp?

Has anyone run the kicker, and if so, how was your experience vs the stock sub?

Here are links to both of them to compare specs.

https://www.kicker.com/comp-rt-8-2-ohm-subwoofer

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/Subwoofers/Shallow+Mount/TS-SW2002D2#specs

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Just me, I think you'll love the Comp RT.

OP
OP
B

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I went ahead and picked up the kicker today, along with some dynamat and a cheap pillow. I lined as much of the inside of the box as I could, and the underside of the main body and flat part of the box, stuffed about 1/2 pillow worth of poly fill in it and got the sub reinstalled.

being an 8” sub in a ****** box, it’s obviously nothing earth shattering, it doesn’t bang, but the bass is MUCH cleaner and punchier than stock. It does hit a bit harder than stock, but not a ton. Probably be better once I replace the rest of the speakers and clean up the rest of the sound.

Overall, so far I’m happy with it.

a better box and better amp and I think the sub would be killer for how small it is, but I use both of my fold flat floors and can’t afford to give them up.

Hemi 808

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm looking to use the same subwoofer but with the Kicker Key500.1 amp. I'm with you, I want to keep my fold flat floors but can't find any sub box that will accommodate this so I guess try something similar with the poly fill and dynamat.

Or if I'm adventurous to try and build one out of fiberglass using the stock box as a base. Gotta watch some YouTube videos on fiberglass building. If I decide to do this, I'll move up to the Kicker L7T8.

Could be a setting myself up for an epic fail. LOL

Graygoose, any tips on installing the amp? I measured 6v DC offset at the stock sub. Looks like I can cut off the subwoofer side of the connector and connect wires to run straight to the amp as high level input and set DC offset on.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
yes, the KEY5001 will accept direct speaker level in, and it will flatten the EQ bass curve, and let you have full frequencies.
I plan to try one, waiting on enclosure. Probably end up with the L7T

88ROOK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just me, I think you'll love the Comp RT.

The Alpine is about 150w, but at least if you later upgrade, a small mono amp, your woofer is ready, your not capped.
A good replacement amp later,

https://www.kicker.com/key-5001-1-channel-smart-amplifier

are you a vendor here? you sure to pedal alot of "KICKER" stuff and you work for them

6. To advertise or sell on the forum you must be a site vendor or sponsor. Screen names with businesses in them will be edited upon arrival, and post will be deleted as spam.

OP
OP
B

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If I decide to amp the sub at some point, I’m looking at a RF Punch PBR300X1. 300w rms @ 1 ohm. I’ve had great luck with punch amps in the past, and this thing is small, so no issues tucking it away somewhere.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I've had Kicker subs before, and have always liked them. I'm just worried the factory amp doesnt put out enough ass for it.
Terrible when your amp puts out less than expected.

OP
OP
B

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So after a full day of testing it out, I gotta say it is quite an improvement. For reference, I mostly listen to hard rock and metal, with a little alternative a rap thrown in for good measure. On most rock songs, the bass (mostly kick drum) is a little punchier and quite a bit cleaner. Not a huge difference. My wife probably won’t notice, but I do. On more bass heavy music, it is very noticeable. It is a little deeper and quite a bit more bass. I’m impressed, and strongly considering picking up the amp sooner rather than later, though I think at that point it will overpower the rest of the system without additional upgrades.

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
yes, the KEY5001 will accept direct speaker level in, and it will flatten the EQ bass curve, and let you have full frequencies.
I plan to try one, waiting on enclosure. Probably end up with the L7T

With this amp would there be any difference in using speaker level inputs from factory sub leads vs using an amppro ch41 to feed the amp?

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
are you a vendor here? you sure to pedal alot of "KICKER" stuff and you work for them

6. To advertise or sell on the forum you must be a site vendor or sponsor. Screen names with businesses in them will be edited upon arrival, and post will be deleted as spam.
go play Karen, Im answering specific questions. If I answered a Ram question, make me a vendor or someone with Knowldege? see me pricing anything Karen, nope.

Try being useful for once.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
So after a full day of testing it out, I gotta say it is quite an improvement. For reference, I mostly listen to hard rock and metal, with a little alternative a rap thrown in for good measure. On most rock songs, the bass (mostly kick drum) is a little punchier and quite a bit cleaner. Not a huge difference. My wife probably won’t notice, but I do. On more bass heavy music, it is very noticeable. It is a little deeper and quite a bit more bass. I’m impressed, and strongly considering picking up the amp sooner rather than later, though I think at that point it will overpower the rest of the system without additional upgrades.
the suspension will loosen up, and give more Xmax.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
With this amp would there be any difference in using speaker level inputs from factory sub leads vs using an amppro ch41 to feed the amp?
no need for other parts, speaker level in.

88ROOK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
go play Karen, Im answering specific questions. If I answered a Ram question, make me a vendor or someone with Knowldege? see me pricing anything Karen, nope.

Try being useful for once.

you're pedaling stuff on what to buy and ive never seen you suggest to buy others only "LINKS" to the stuff you sell. so there for kyle you should be a vendor

88ROOK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The Alpine is about 150w, but at least if you later upgrade, a small mono amp, your woofer is ready, your not capped.
A good replacement amp later,

https://www.kicker.com/key-5001-1-channel-smart-amplifier

Rule #8: No links to your eBay or Craigslist posts are allowed. You must populate your thread here with all the information regarding your item with no references to other selling sites......hey kyle you do know what that means

88ROOK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
must be nice to use the site as free advetising for the items you sell for your employer

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
must be nice to use the site as free advetising for the items you sell for your employer
If that's the case, I must be a vendor for kenwood and falken tire and bfgoodrich.
Grey goose gives info on a product he's very familiar with. I have never once seen him selling it or trying to say its an only option. That's general knowledge and useful information, not advertising.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
Rule #8: No links to your eBay or Craigslist posts are allowed. You must populate your thread here with all the information regarding your item with no references to other selling sites......hey kyle you do know what that means
That's a link to kickers site, info only, you can't purchase there. So not the save as a link to crapslist or fleabay

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk