Kicker shallow mount 8" sub in factory box

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

88ROOK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's a link to kickers site, info only, you can't purchase there. So not the save as a link to crapslist or fleabay

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

pretty odd i added it to my cart and could purchase the amp, so you're wrong

88ROOK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If that's the case, I must be a vendor for kenwood and falken tire and bfgoodrich.
Grey goose gives info on a product he's very familiar with. I have never once seen him selling it or trying to say its an only option. That's general knowledge and useful information, not advertising.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

hes linking a site for you to purchase his products

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Karen is stalking me.

I'm offended.

Ban it

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
you're pedaling stuff on what to buy and ive never seen you suggest to buy others only "LINKS" to the stuff you sell. so there for kyle you should be a vendor
The post was "specific " to what I know and can answer. So I dont tell or guide someone to buy a certain product, and if doesnt fit it doenst fit. I have been here for 9 years. I'm here first and foremost to be a Ram fan. If I can help anyone answer a question about lift,exhaust, tires, tint, audio, bed covers, etc...I'm willing to help.
Stop trying to make it something it's not. Its showing your ignorance.

Ron Basile

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you don't change the amp, stick with the stock sub.

crash

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
hes linking a site for you to purchase his products
not necessarily. I'm in Canada and wouldn't be buying directly from the Kicker page that was linked for the amp. I'd read the specs and find a local retailer.

I appreciate the info that has been posted. I also have the Alpine in my 15 and would love to add a little thump without going over the top (like in my youth). personally, the output volume level of the entire Alpine system is horrible. I'd love to upgrade it all if it wasn't so expensive. the more info and brand options that will work for me the better so I can research and get input from others that have gone the same route ahead of me. they are the best source of info on these forums, as they've been the guinea pigs and share what works well, works meh and what isn't a good idea. personally, saves me money and headaches.

no offence but, ironic when your read your own signature. unless this is a personal beef you have with graygoose, in which case it should be taken to PM

OP
OP
B

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you don't change the amp, stick with the stock sub.
I gotta disagree. I'm a little over a month in with the new sub, and it is hands down far and away better than the stock sub. It hits harder, and has a much cleaner sound. I've never heard the pioneer sub everyone seems to like for this system, but even though the Kicker sub is more expensive, I would highly recommend it to anyone wanting to replace the oem sub.

OP
OP
B

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The Alpine is about 150w, but at least if you later upgrade, a small mono amp, your woofer is ready, your not capped.
A good replacement amp later,

https://www.kicker.com/key-5001-1-channel-smart-amplifier
@Graygoose either that amp blows donkey nuts, or I’m missing something major.

I got everything hooked up and tried to run the gain match, but never could get the indicator to light up like it was supposed to. I went all the way through the gain dial, and nothing. I exited that and figured I would just adjust the gain like I always have, so I ran the sweep track. That seemed to work as it should.

I tried playing some music so I could adjust the gain if necessary, and it’s putting out less than it did on the stock alpine amp. I tried resetting it and doing it again, and same thing. I messed with it for a couple of hours, even tried different gain match and sweep tracks (there’s 3 each, 0db, -5db and -10db). I did 0 and -10, same results. The sub was barely moving and literally not putting out anything. I ended up with the gain all the way up and the bass boost all the way up, and nothing.

any ideas? I’m going to call Kicker tech support tomorrow and see if they have any suggestions. I’m tempted to tap the rear door speaker wires instead of the sub wires and see if that makes a difference. If I can’t figure anything out, it’s going back and I’m going to go with my original plan of the punch amp and the LC2i. I’ve honestly never been more disappointed in a sub set up. It might as well not even be there, the front doors completely overpower it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I measured resistance at the wires to the sub and it was 1.2 ohm, so it’s wired correctly. I’m getting 12.7v to the amp.

OP
OP
B

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Called Kicker tech support this morning, their only recommendation was to run the .wav files instead of .mp3 files when doing the gain match and sweep tracks. I plan to check the output voltage of the amp after I try that to see where it is at, but unfortunately I left my VOM at home this morning, and by the time I can get to it to check it, they’ll be closed for the day.

OP
OP
B

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think the amp is buggered. I was messing with it this morning, and switching from hi to lo input, with the button about halfway pressed the sub comes to life. Seems the switch from hi/lo input is either shorted out or busted in some other way. I'm going to try to see if I can get them to exchange it for me.

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I think the amp is buggered. I was messing with it this morning, and switching from hi to lo input, with the button about halfway pressed the sub comes to life. Seems the switch from hi/lo input is either shorted out or busted in some other way. I'm going to try to see if I can get them to exchange it for me.

I was wanting to go this route also using my 12" type s in custom box or fiberglassing the stock box with an L7T. Im still wondering if this 500.1 amp can be hooked up in-between the factory hu and amp, but im guessing there may be no volume control. I wonder what the pac amppro ch41 does differently.

OP
OP
B

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I was wanting to go this route also using my 12" type s in custom box or fiberglassing the stock box with an L7T. Im still wondering if this 500.1 amp can be hooked up in-between the factory hu and amp, but im guessing there may be no volume control. I wonder what the pac amppro ch41 does differently.

i don’t think you can hook them up between the amp and head unit, as you los the ability to control the signal (volume and EQ). All controls run through the canbus.

you can, however, hook the amp up to the existing sub wires. I just happened to get a defective amp it seems.

while dicking around with it this morning, I managed to actually shove the button into the amp, which tells me there was obviously a problem with it.

I spoke to Kicker and to the company that sold it to me, and the company I got it from is sending me a return postage ticket. Because they only had one left in stock, I went ahead and bought it before I even called them. They said they would credit me the money for the purchase once they receive the amp back. Only time will tell. New one should be here tomorrow.

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
i don’t think you can hook them up between the amp and head unit, as you los the ability to control the signal (volume and EQ). All controls run through the canbus.

you can, however, hook the amp up to the existing sub wires. I just happened to get a defective amp it seems.

while dicking around with it this morning, I managed to actually shove the button into the amp, which tells me there was obviously a problem with it.

I spoke to Kicker and to the company that sold it to me, and the company I got it from is sending me a return postage ticket. Because they only had one left in stock, I went ahead and bought it before I even called them. They said they would credit me the money for the purchase once they receive the amp back. Only time will tell. New one should be here tomorrow.

Cool let us know how it works out.
I still wonder what the amppro does if its just robbing a signal in-between the hu and factory amp, or is it doing more then that.

OP
OP
B

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Cool let us know how it works out.
I still wonder what the amppro does if its just robbing a signal in-between the hu and factory amp, or is it doing more then that.
I have a feeling they’re not gonna refund me because of some scratches I put on it during install. If not, I’ll tell them to just ship it back to me and see if I can’t fix it myself. I paid for it, might as well have it if they won’t refund it, lol

OP
OP
B

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
@Graygoose
This amp can suck it. This is my second one in 3 days.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Does anyone think it could possibly have to do with using the sub wires? I’m tempted to try to tap the rear doors, but if I go through That effort and it doesn’t work, I’m really gonna be pissed.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
yea something doesn't seem right, be weird to have two do it. Call tech again, let.them know whatnits doing twice.
Sorry had total knee replacement surgery monday been out, and will be for a couple weeks.
We habe a tonnof these amps out there with huge success. We just need to find why your having issues

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Does anyone think it could possibly have to do with using the sub wires? I’m tempted to try to tap the rear doors, but if I go through That effort and it doesn’t work, I’m really gonna be pissed.
email [email protected]

He's an installer and technical guy, and can hopefully help dial you in.
Tell him Tracy sent ya