Krown Rust proofing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
^^^This. Also most rust comes from the inside of panels and frame sections, not the outside. Krown and FF can be sprayed inside these cravaces and continue to creep after they're applied.

gixxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Krown or fluid film will be great. It will drop for a week or so in warmer temps as it creeps into all the spots. It does make things greasy but as stated earlier, a small price to pay. I try to line up any maintainence before I get it done.

The electronic rust device doesn’t do anything. I spoke with a pipeline engineer about it. When underground there are a lot less variables but on a vehicle, it will just drain your battery faster.

Trail Ryder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It does seem to work. ..... I had my truck done last September and will get them both done again this September. The first time you do it will drip a lot and continue to drip for almost a week so don't park it in your driveway or garage for that time. The second application definitely drips a lot less.

Agreed.

The first time I had it done, it dripped a lot (I think they apply a lot on the first application). Fortunately, I live on a cul-de-sac and could park it in the street until the dripping was done which took 1-2 weeks. There was residue on the street which washed off after a couple of rain storms. However, if I had left it parked on my sealed driveway, it probably would have made a mess.

When I went back, for my 2nd application, I had it done on a Friday and picked it up on a Monday, so it had a few days to drip at the shop. But the drippage was definitely less on the 2nd year's application.

FWIW, my truck has seen road salt for 2 winters now and it still looks great underneath.

With what these trucks cost, I am surprised that more people don't get this done. Funny how some will spend $40,000 or more on a new truck, but balk at $100 to $150 to get the vehicle rust proofed. Weird.

Spirit79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Watch South Main Auto videos on youtube. It is painful to see the vehicles he works on that are just a few years old and on their last legs because of rust out. He uses Krown in his personal vehicles and swears by it. He is in western upstate NY. Rustbelt.

tomb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 bighorn-cherry red
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I go to Krown every year-truck is mint ,mind you its only 6yrs old. I also get under the truck once in a while with a rattle can of fluid film for touch-ups. I always do the Krown a few weeks before any servicing so as not to **** off my mechanic by getting him and his shop floor all greasy. My last truck was 25yrs old before she started showing rust in the usual lower box areas. Some people are afraid to have the holes drilled where they shoot it in the body panels, but if you don't then you wont get the product where its use is most beneficial. I have never seen any rust around those holes and it makes it possible for them to shoot them every year. Also, don't be alarmed when you see smoke coming out from under the hood and other areas-because it will. If you don't,then they haven't done a thorough job! Its $130.00 for trucks in Canada with $10.00 off if you are a CAA member. Worth every cent to me. The fluid film is a great product too-but I have learned to keep it off soft rubber-like the door seals and boots,etc. Fluid film can swell the rubber which is why I use rattle cans for more control. There is a warning right on the can. Its great around electrical parts too and will help keep rodents from choosing your wires for dinner!!! Hope this helps. TOM

jgkreal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
PT 4.7
I had my new to me 2013 Krown'd last year, dripped like a runny nose for about a week, then was fine. No huge problems with grease but Im sure Im just not working hard enough on my truck :33: but, its got a date for October 1st every year and no problems from me!

Pic 9.jpg

7thday

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had mine done with a Canadian product called Corrosion Free, no drips but it creeps everywhere. Needs reapplied every 18 months to maintain the warranty.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I spray Fluid Film on the undercarriage of my truck every fall which is similar to Krown. It does leave a greasy film on everything which does attract dirt. When I put the factory backup cam in my truck I got pretty covered in it while running the wires. That's why now I make sure to wear long sleeved clothes I don't care about while working under the truck.

But as mentioned it's a small price to pay to not have the truck rot out from under you. If there was a Krown dealer closer to me I would have it done.

Long sleeve shirt..... humm. I dont own any of those Cory.

But i do the opposite, i don’t wear a shirt at all. Then i can just hop right in the shower or wash my arms off.

But i also take my
shirt off as soon as i get out of my truck from the drive home form anywhere. I hate wearing shirts at home. Even in the winter. (Obviously not outside)

Cory,

Do you do your fluid film only once a year? I was considering doing a quickie on the undercarriage only (thats what she said) in a few weeks.

The drive line and other things that hang down lower need it again

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Long sleeve shirt..... humm. I dont own any of those Cory.

But i do the opposite, i don’t wear a shirt at all. Then i can just hop right in the shower or wash my arms off.

But i also take my
shirt off as soon as i get out of my truck from the drive home form anywhere. I hate wearing shirts at home. Even in the winter. (Obviously not outside)

Cory,

Do you do your fluid film only once a year? I was considering doing a quickie on the undercarriage only (thats what she said) in a few weeks.

The drive line and other things that hang down lower need it again
Im only going to spray mine once a year. I just don't drive my truck enough in the winter to wash off the FF. Mine is just starting to wash off/dry up on the high spray areas like the wheel well areas, exposed frame, control arms, etc.

But it's definitely not a bad idea to do a second coating in the spring

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had mine done with a Canadian product called Corrosion Free, no drips but it creeps everywhere. Needs reapplied every 18 months to maintain the warranty.

I did mine myself with the same product. No dripping but yer right, it creeps like crazy. 7 months later its still creeping out of the lower door panels and getting all over my rocker panels lol.

1500canoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Krown update for posterity: Mine stopped dripping after a few days for the most part, and completely after a week. A cheap tarp covered in newspaper on the garage floor worked perfectly.

For reference, this was 30 mins parked on the street the day Krown was applied.
48ce99a0b1577a78f70b0e9ae5df9b7f.jpg

Cougs57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I wanted to bump this thread. I had rust proofing done last winter a few days after purchase of my 18 Ram 2500. I had them bedliner the bed as well but I chose to buy black nerf bars/steps and have them bedlinered instead of buying stainless steel as time after time I see 3-4 years worth of winters here starts eating away the stainless steps (not to mention I have a white truck and want to influence black add-ons to it). Anyways... About 9 years later I am still dealing with the rust proofing heavy duty grease coming out the bottoms of the doors, etc. but its not a bad price to pay when I did my first oil change and everything is coated under the truck EXCEPT this lovely little area pictured below. This is not my truck but I took it for demonstration. I circled the area here where I have absolutely zero protection and a few rock chips have already occurred. The place who did all my trust proofing no longer does paint matching rocker panel rust proofing. They only do black. This is the lip under the truck (on the other side of the lip is rust proofed material). The white looks somewhat ugly with the brackets I have (black). They are going to tape this off just above that lip and spray this with a hot paint of some kind (not the greasy stuff under the truck) and will do my brackets for the bars at the same time so the bolts and everything will be covered. Has anyone else done this area? Again, this is only this lip circled in the picture below. I see so many trucks rust right here.

upload_2018-9-19_8-57-27.png

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wanted to bump this thread. I had rust proofing done last winter a few days after purchase of my 18 Ram 2500. I had them bedliner the bed as well but I chose to buy black nerf bars/steps and have them bedlinered instead of buying stainless steel as time after time I see 3-4 years worth of winters here starts eating away the stainless steps (not to mention I have a white truck and want to influence black add-ons to it). Anyways... About 9 years later I am still dealing with the rust proofing heavy duty grease coming out the bottoms of the doors, etc. but its not a bad price to pay when I did my first oil change and everything is coated under the truck EXCEPT this lovely little area pictured below. This is not my truck but I took it for demonstration. I circled the area here where I have absolutely zero protection and a few rock chips have already occurred. The place who did all my trust proofing no longer does paint matching rocker panel rust proofing. They only do black. This is the lip under the truck (on the other side of the lip is rust proofed material). The white looks somewhat ugly with the brackets I have (black). They are going to tape this off just above that lip and spray this with a hot paint of some kind (not the greasy stuff under the truck) and will do my brackets for the bars at the same time so the bolts and everything will be covered. Has anyone else done this area? Again, this is only this lip circled in the picture below. I see so many trucks rust right here.

View attachment 141167

If you are talking on the outside of the truck (I think you are, since you mentioned color matching), I would look into paint protection *film* that is applied to the exterior. It wont absorb giant rocks but the standard stuff kicking up from the road should be OK.

Can also consider mud/splash guards for the front wheels at least.

You might be seeing that area rust from the inside out, as well. Krown/Fluid Film/Corrosion Free should be sprayed inside the rockers from underneath the truck (if you have side steps installed, there are access holes right by where the brackets mount...probably covered with body tape) and from inside the door jambs by pulling the factory rubber plugs and spraying in. The spray stuff should then creep into the crevices, protecting them from rusting inside to outside.

Cougs57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
If you are talking on the outside of the truck (I think you are, since you mentioned color matching), I would look into paint protection *film* that is applied to the exterior. It wont absorb giant rocks but the standard stuff kicking up from the road should be OK.

Can also consider mud/splash guards for the front wheels at least.

You might be seeing that area rust from the inside out, as well. Krown/Fluid Film/Corrosion Free should be sprayed inside the rockers from underneath the truck (if you have side steps installed, there are access holes right by where the brackets mount...probably covered with body tape) and from inside the door jambs by pulling the factory rubber plugs and spraying in. The spray stuff should then creep into the crevices, protecting them from rusting inside to outside.
In the picture I have a circle around the lip I am talking about. That is all I am worried about. Its the lip you can put a jack under and jack up the truck with, etc.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In the picture I have a circle around the lip I am talking about. That is all I am worried about. Its the lip you can put a jack under and jack up the truck with, etc.

Gotcha.

Then yes, I think the right way to do it (or get it done) is to get under the truck and look "behind" where that lip is...you will see 2 or 3 squares of tape looking stuff. Peel the tape back and fire some oil based undercoating in. Also open each door, remove whatever rubber plugs you see and fire undercoating into there too. Some shops will actually drill more holes to make it easier, Im not a fan of that (especially considering the factory holes should suffice). Replace all the tape and plugs when you're done. The tape might not stick again, I know a couple of mine have fallen off so for now Im going with small pieces of Gorilla tape, until I can find the factory stuff or something better than.

That lip area is prone to stone chips on the exterior too, so they could start rusting that way as well. IMHO the best way to prevent any rust there is both interior (undercoating inside) and exterior (paint protection film or splash guards) methods.

Cougs57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
That lip area is prone to stone chips on the exterior too, so they could start rusting that way as well. IMHO the best way to prevent any rust there is both interior (undercoating inside) and exterior (paint protection film or splash guards) methods.
That is exactly what I am talking about. Everything else has been done (on the inside under the truck and all the holes, etc). The exterior of that lip is what I am trying to bring up. I see it starting to rust on so many vehicles up the midwest. I have low profile brackets for my steps so not a lot of surface area for salt and grime to sit and decay but the brackets still mount up under the truck to that lip area and it is 100% exposed. I have mudflaps and what have you. Next week I am getting a clear bra 3m kit done and I asked him to take a look at this area to see if there is a film of some kind for the rocket panel area itself and he made it sound like there is something they can do (from the bottom of the doors down to the lip).

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That is exactly what I am talking about. Everything else has been done (on the inside under the truck and all the holes, etc). The exterior of that lip is what I am trying to bring up. I see it starting to rust on so many vehicles up the midwest. I have low profile brackets for my steps so not a lot of surface area for salt and grime to sit and decay but the brackets still mount up under the truck to that lip area and it is 100% exposed. I have mudflaps and what have you. Next week I am getting a clear bra 3m kit done and I asked him to take a look at this area to see if there is a film of some kind for the rocket panel area itself and he made it sound like there is something they can do (from the bottom of the doors down to the lip).

One of my previous cars had a "rock guard" sprayed on below the door molding line, from the factory. It was crystal clear but looked and felt rough. The "bumps" were similar to the texture of a golf ball...Im not sure if that helped absorb or deflect rocks better, or if it worked just because it was thicker, but there werent very many chips on the lower doors of that car (then again, it was a car, so not too high off the ground)

DupliColor makes one: https://duplicolor.com/product/rocker-guard but Im guessing there are better versions out there.

DwnDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That lip, isn't advisable for jacking a truck up with.. Its a body panel pinch weld, where the panels are joined together. A lot of people seem to like having the LineX bedliner coated under there, doing the lip front and rear and lower section of the rockers for paint protection. Some just use mudflaps.

Up here in Canada I'm a firm believer in Krown. My 2003 with over 400k on it still literally looks like the day I sold it back in 2007. And for a dodge truck box to still be intact here, thats a big deal! Lol

My 2016 was done the day it was landed, and I'm only likely to keep it for another 4 or 5 months (be 3yrs old then) but I still think everything should be done in Krown coating. It works very well.

Sometimes in the hot summer days, it'll drip a bit (I get it sprayed every Oct before I leave to go down south) and being a white truck, washing it more often helps keep black residue from dirt etc building up, but you see plenty of people who don't and its a mess. AS terrible as an unkept vehicle may look.. It won't rust! Haha

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, I get black markings at the front of the rocker panel area of my white truck, they look just like paint runs, but they arent paint (still all that undercoating creeping along)

Id much rather look at those than rust!