LED Upgrade in Projector Housing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roadrnnr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Without getting into the whole debate of how much better HID's are in the projector housings, has anyone had any success with an LED bulb? I know the LED's have come a long way and was looking at the Headlight Revolution V.4's. They are $297 but dont mind spending the money if there is a significant improvement in lighting.

Yes I know HID is the way to go however, I prefer a P&P solution and have no desire to start running wires for ballasts and drilling dust covers etc. Just wondering if anyone with the projector housing has gone with an LED bulb and is happy with it.

I have those bulbs in my 2011. The H13 version. Absolutely the best thing I ever put in it. Headlights sucked from day one till I put these in it.

Their customer service is top notch if you have a problem or warranty issue also.

Go for it you will love them

Ozarkian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I put Fahren led's in my 2015 Ram 1500. They flickered and completely went off when I test drove them, (Projector dims BTW). I had to install the Canbus anti flicker modules from Diode Dynamics and everything works great so far. Everything is plug and play and fit into the headlight housing though a little crowded. Make sure you get the proper ones for low and high beam.

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
If you dont mind waiting a couple weeks to a month, get on Aliexpress and order led bulbs in the style you need. I got 8000 lumen bulbs with canbus built in for $30 shipped. They work great in the projectors and still have the factory cutoff that wont blind people. If the price was the same I think HIDs will give you a little better light, but if you can be patient LEDs can be super cheap. See attached photos with low and high beams.
20210327_220723.jpg 20210327_221044.jpg

cnitty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have those bulbs in my 2011. The H13 version. Absolutely the best thing I ever put in it. Headlights sucked from day one till I put these in it.

Their customer service is top notch if you have a problem or warranty issue also.

Go for it you will love them
Did you still have to flash your vehicle for them to work properly?

cnitty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you dont mind waiting a couple weeks to a month, get on Aliexpress and order led bulbs in the style you need. I got 8000 lumen bulbs with canbus built in for $30 shipped. They work great in the projectors and still have the factory cutoff that wont blind people. If the price was the same I think HIDs will give you a little better light, but if you can be patient LEDs can be super cheap. See attached photos with low and high beams.
View attachment 244213 View attachment 244214
Brand?
How long installed?
Projector lights?

OP
OP
Mission72

Mission72

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Warlock
Engine
V6
After doing some research and based on the reply I received from DDM Tuning, I'll be going with the below:

For your low beam upgrade, you can use our Saber ProX 55W Accu/V2 9005 LED kit, which is proven to function perfectly on this application without requiring any additional decoders. Also, it won't have any fitment issue on your low beam upgrade. Here is the link:
https://ddmtuning.com/SaberLED-ProX-55W-Accu-V2-9005-W-Y

If you would like to upgrade your high beam too, you will need to use our Saber Pro V2 50W 9005 LED kit instead. This is because your high beam upgrade has a tighter space, and 50W V2 has a smaller bulb base for better fitment than 55W V2. Here is the link:
https://ddmtuning.com/Saber-50W-V2-9005-W-Y
(with 50W V2, you don't need to add any decoder neither)

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
After doing some research and based on the reply I received from DDM Tuning, I'll be going with the below:

For your low beam upgrade, you can use our Saber ProX 55W Accu/V2 9005 LED kit, which is proven to function perfectly on this application without requiring any additional decoders. Also, it won't have any fitment issue on your low beam upgrade. Here is the link:

If you would like to upgrade your high beam too, you will need to use our Saber Pro V2 50W 9005 LED kit instead. This is because your high beam upgrade has a tighter space, and 50W V2 has a smaller bulb base for better fitment than 55W V2. Here is the link:

Let us know how those work out.
Im guessing the 50w ones were a copy of the lumibrights as thats a new design from ddm also.
The 55w ones should be real bright and im liking the color temp bulbs facts reported.

cnitty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Question why spend $400 + on above when you can get bulbs and OBD scanner $99 on Amazon for less?
I'm asking to figure out if it's better to purchase this product but think I'll get more use out of the OBD scanner later.

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Brand?
How long installed?
Projector lights?

Factory projectors

Just installed these low beams about a month ago: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/400...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

I would consider a fanless one like this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

I had zdatt low, high, and fogs for about 2 years. I just had a low beam go out due to the fan going bad and stopped working. They must be tied together somehow. I didnt see the fanless ones when I ordered the new pair or I might have ordered those.

cnitty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Factory projectors

Just installed these low beams about a month ago: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/400...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

I would consider a fanless one like this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

I had zdatt low, high, and fogs for about 2 years. I just had a low beam go out due to the fan going bad and stopped working. They must be tied together somehow. I didnt see the fanless ones when I ordered the new pair or I might have ordered those.
What don`t you like about having a fan on the light? Would it not help keep the light cool for longer life?

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
IMG_6259.jpg IMG_6258.jpg IMG_6255.jpg IMG_6253.jpg

Above is some testing I did with a small H11 Halogen projector low beam only in these pics. These tests are only good for my bulbs in my housings at the time of this test and not universal but it shows a big difference in beam and light output. The LED (top Image) has the foreground dead spot from the PCB board for the LED chips, light output is white and has a decent cutout however the intensity is much lower than the Halogen (below). This isn't an apples to apples comparison though as the Halogens in this pic is an H9 bulb (higher brightness than standard H11) but the H11 still performed better I think than the LED which had slightly higher LUX (not much) but the beam pattern of the H11 and H9 is much fuller and smoother. The pics show about a 300 LUX difference (H9s are brighter) which is a good amount of light being left on the table. HIDs in the same housing produce identical halogen beam pattern but 3-5x the LUX. My MAX LUX measurements are at hotspot only.

Ive done light output testing in a good bit of different setups with Lux readings and such. LED's can be a slightly upgrade in LUX over halogen with an increased life span but your going to be in the $200-300 range for the good stuff. HIDs are still better and cheaper for the most part especially with beam pattern and focused hot spot LUX. With that being said I swapped my wifes H11 CRV halogen projectors for Amazon LED bulbs 30w and the beam is meh (some foreground loss/funkiness) but I did can about 200lux at the hotspot. Her car is very sensitive to HID noise and causes the ECU to go bonkers making the car unsafe to drive. I've tested the LEDs in other projectors and in the low beam it performs much better than HIGH beam halogen projectors. So the LED might look/work better in a bixenon style Halogen projector on low beam but once High beam is engaged it will likely turn to poo.

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
What don`t you like about having a fan on the light? Would it not help keep the light cool for longer life?

Other than it making a bit of noise, as long as it works it doesnt bother me and I'm sure it does help keep the bulb cooler, except the projectors are a sealed housing so I'm not sure there is much if any air flow. My only knock on the fan was that it seems to be tied to the operation of the bulb. Mine started making a terrible noise so I knew it was going bad soon. The led should last years and years, but if you get a ****** fan that only lasts 2 years your bulb is toast. If I was more electrically inclined I would take apart the bulb with the bad fan and see if I could bypass it somehow.

HydroBlue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've had these in my truck for 8 months and love them. They are bright and white - which is exactly what I was looking for. Plug and Play and priced right. I have the projectors and did the high and low beams. I ended up doing the fog/driving lights too - so the colors would match. Its a HUGE difference having the fog/driving lights switched also.

BTW - I have had no issues with flickering.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WCSJQYC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Do these actually fit both low and high beam with the projector lights? The last set I bought said they would fit but there was no way those things were going to fit. Any error messages?

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
View attachment 244360 View attachment 244361 View attachment 244362 View attachment 244363

Above is some testing I did with a small H11 Halogen projector low beam only in these pics. These tests are only good for my bulbs in my housings at the time of this test and not universal but it shows a big difference in beam and light output. The LED (top Image) has the foreground dead spot from the PCB board for the LED chips, light output is white and has a decent cutout however the intensity is much lower than the Halogen (below). This isn't an apples to apples comparison though as the Halogens in this pic is an H9 bulb (higher brightness than standard H11) but the H11 still performed better I think than the LED which had slightly higher LUX (not much) but the beam pattern of the H11 and H9 is much fuller and smoother. The pics show about a 300 LUX difference (H9s are brighter) which is a good amount of light being left on the table. HIDs in the same housing produce identical halogen beam pattern but 3-5x the LUX. My MAX LUX measurements are at hotspot only.

Ive done light output testing in a good bit of different setups with Lux readings and such. LED's can be a slightly upgrade in LUX over halogen with an increased life span but your going to be in the $200-300 range for the good stuff. HIDs are still better and cheaper for the most part especially with beam pattern and focused hot spot LUX. With that being said I swapped my wifes H11 CRV halogen projectors for Amazon LED bulbs 30w and the beam is meh (some foreground loss/funkiness) but I did can about 200lux at the hotspot. Her car is very sensitive to HID noise and causes the ECU to go bonkers making the car unsafe to drive. I've tested the LEDs in other projectors and in the low beam it performs much better than HIGH beam halogen projectors. So the LED might look/work better in a bixenon style Halogen projector on low beam but once High beam is engaged it will likely turn to poo.
What LED bulbs did you use for the test just for some additional clarification?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca