Left (driver) front axle leaking gear oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

diverjer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a slow oil leak, leaks down on lower ball joint. Figured an easy fix, that there would be an oil seal at end of axle shaft. NO, that doesn't look to be the case. Looks like the seals are in center on each side of jug/differential. From page 3-33 of the manual, it looks like the whole front axle assembly needs to come out for a silly seal? Am I seeing this wrong, please advise. Also, looks like a bunch of special tools. This looks way over my head and will be over budget to have someone else do, things use to be so much simpler. I am thinking I may just check lube level and keep watch, it is not like there is a big puddle, hardly a drop. On page 3-55 om shop manual it says lube level with fill hole and use 80 or 90 weight. However I have seen on here somewhere that suggest 1/2 below fill hole.

Please advise, I don't think I have tools or ability to fix. Get repaired and pay 7 hours labor plus parts and hope they really know what they are doing (sometimes I find these guys know less than me). Or where I am leaning toward, let it be and keep it at a correct level.

DSC00586.jpg

Last edited:

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Well I can say that you aren't reading it wrong. There are I believe 2 seals. Both are set into a seat on the inside of the axle tube. For the passenger side it is just past the CAD. On the drivers side it is in the tube. You can make your own tool to seat these but it does take time and fabrication to do. I too have a leaky seal but it doesn't seem to bother my truck too much. Only thing to be sure of is to keep water out of there.