Let it run or turn it off?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Units

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Bighorn
Engine
6.7l Cummins
Have had my 2023 6.7l for 2 weeks. Curious as to what others are doing with their engines while fueling up, I see folks all the time gassing up and leaving their engine running. I know these engines use a grid heater and do not use glow plugs, does that even matter in regards to starting the truck? Maybe that’s an old school train of thought in regards to diesels. I also see where the user manual says to limit excessive idle time. The one time I’ve gassed up so far I just let it run. What does everyone else do while gassing up?

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I shut down. Usually I am running inside for a drink or snack. The grid heater only runs when the engine cold so not really a consideration at a fuel stop. If you don’t do a lot of highway driving I would shut down. Stop and go as well a lots of idling can lead to emissions system issues.

Last edited:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Idling 5-10 minutes is fine longer than that turn it off. Unlike a gasser diesel cool off while idling, if your working the engine like when towing/hauling it's a practice to let the engine idle to cool for a few minutes before turning off. There's not as much worry about cooking turbo bearings as they're liquid cooled.
As mentioned above having a grid heater(or glow plugs) has no bearing on letting the engine idle.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
If I'm not going inside I let it run. In the 5-6 minutes that it takes to fill up it isn't going to affect anything by that much.

The grid heater is a non-issue.

Fuel35 67

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Diesel doesn’t ignite like gas. Pretty sure you’d be alright.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
There is no reason to shut it down.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
It's illegal and dangerous to leave your vehicle running when fueling. If I need to cool down the motor before shutting off, I do that in a parking lot, not at the pump.
Someone may need to tell all the truckers at the big pumps this.... I can't name a time where I've been at the trucker fuel islands without at least 2-3 diesels running while fueling.

It might be illegal (possibly due to a fire code) in some areas, but it is not illegal everywhere. I've seen a few signs at the GAS pumps mentioning to shut off your engine but I've not seen those signs at the diesel pumps.

kdoublep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My gas station has clerks. They have no idea what's going on at the pumps. They can't even remember to stock towels and refill washer fluid bins. I could fill a gas can over an open fire and they would never know lol

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Gas stations here won’t even let you fill a gas can on your tailgate.. has to be on the ground!
That's a flat out safety issue for spills and static dissipation.
If the spill occurs on the tailgate now there potential for you truck to catch fire, where as on the ground you could move the vehicle away from the flames.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Jeeze Louise - static electrical fire filling diesels. Ya right!

I get tired of the Nanny state. I grew up riding around in the boxes of pickups, laying on the rear shelf behind the back seat, jumping bikes over creeks using home made ramps, playing with lawn darts and a ton of other stuff. Got some bumps, bruises and even a few scars. Very few of us ever died doing this and we grew up a whole lot tougher than most of the 10 year olds I know today. The big problem with idiot proofing the world, is the idiots grow up and breed. No more natural selection. Stupidity is definitely hereditary.

Leave it run or shut it off usually makes no real difference; unless you just pulled off the freeway or are pulling heavy, in which case let it run to cool turbos etc.

Last edited:

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Jeeze Louise - static electrical fire filling diesels. Ya right!

I get tired of the Nanny state. I grew up riding around in the boxes of pickups, laying on the rear shelf behind the back seat, jumping bikes over creeks using home made ramps, playing with lawn darts and a ton of other stuff. Got some bumps, bruises and even a few scars. Very few of us ever died doing this and we grew up a whole lot tougher than most of the 10 year olds I know today.
I did all of that and more. Doesn't mean they were smart things to do.
The big problem with idiot proofing the world, is the idiots grow up and breed. No more natural selection. Stupidity is definitely hereditary.
Maybe. But it's also stupid to not minimize risks, IMO. I still race and ride dirt bikes at a very competitive pace. But I try to minimize the risk by wearing top of the line protective gear. It's just the smart thing to do.
Leave it run or shut it off usually makes no real difference; unless you just pulled off the freeway or are pulling heavy, in which case let it run to cool turbos etc.
Is the risk high of something bad happening? No. Heck, in high school I worked at a gas station. The owner would go out to the pump to say hi to friends with a lit cigarette in his hand behind his back. Like it being behind his back was going to stop a fire. Stupid.

Leaving a vehicle running at the pump is an unnecessary risk, IMO.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have had my 2023 6.7l for 2 weeks. Curious as to what others are doing with their engines while fueling up, I see folks all the time gassing up and leaving their engine running. I know these engines use a grid heater and do not use glow plugs, does that even matter in regards to starting the truck? Maybe that’s an old school train of thought in regards to diesels. I also see where the user manual says to limit excessive idle time. The one time I’ve gassed up so far I just let it run. What does everyone else do while gassing up?
This has "Fueled" many debates over the years! (I JUST love a pun!)

Mark Harrison

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
on big rigs sometimes when fueling with engine running you can suck up some air in the fuel tank and the engine will miss fire and set code for rail pressure.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel doesn’t ignite like gas. Pretty sure you’d be alright.
Yup, but there are mouth breathers out there who would just love that scenario to jump in and steal a nice rig!
I believe I'd just err on the side of maybe putting a .000005% extra wear on my engine and shut it off, lock it up, keep my shoulders back, chin up and my head on a pivot.
Being in the huge metropolis such as Houston, given all the videos of the criminals being so emboldened as to attack folks at the pump, I go with only my driver's license, the means of payment, and leave my cell phone at home. And I make sure to arm myself.
I've had occasion that my attention diligence as to my surroundings has gotten me in eye-to-eye contact with more than one mouth-breathing nefarious n'er-do-well. The result is that the fink skulks off and goes elsewhere to ply his underhandedness. Cheers!

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I've never left any of my diesel trucks running while at the pump.
This is another one of those things from the past that people can't let go of. Like 3k oil changes, putting 2 stroke oil in your fuel, and the list goes on. This isn't 1970 anymore and what your grandpa did on the farm 30+ years ago is no longer valid with modern vehicles.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Heck, in a rare instance, like PPL who like to talk on phones and stuff while refueling, bad things can happen. It is actually a state law to turn off vehicles while refueling, but some do, some don't, except under certain circumstances (Texas Transportation Code - TRANSP § 647.011. Fuel Restrictions). That not bother me as much as the "clowns" smoking while refueling, especially when it gets really hot, and U can just see the "fumes" in the air. We even blew up an immersion heater one day being in a hurry to get lit and not taking proper precautions. Good way to burn yer eyebrows off, lol.

Saw a KC-135 (Strato tanker) being refueled on the parking ramp one day. The FMS person either failed to follow procedure or something came loose, ie., static line. Fuel tanks in belly caught fire and that plane burned to the concrete, with only outer parts of both wings and 2 engines surviving. Talk about a bonfire.