Let it run or turn it off?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yup, but there are mouth breathers out there who would just love that scenario to jump in and steal a nice rig!
I believe I'd just err on the side of maybe putting a .000005% extra wear on my engine and shut it off, lock it up, keep my shoulders back, chin up and my head on a pivot.
Being in the huge metropolis such as Houston, given all the videos of the criminals being so emboldened as to attack folks at the pump, I go with only my driver's license, the means of payment, and leave my cell phone at home. And I make sure to arm myself.
I've had occasion that my attention diligence as to my surroundings has gotten me in eye-to-eye contact with more than one mouth-breathing nefarious n'er-do-well. The result is that the fink skulks off and goes elsewhere to ply his underhandedness. Cheers!
YEAH, that does happen a lot in some of the more bigger metropolitan areas in TX and even rural areas now. It has been a problem for a long time of PPL coming up while you are gassing up and either try to steal your vehicle, or maybe reach inside and grab wallet, etc. Why I always lock all my doors except for drivers when refueling. Now, also the new thing is Jugging. For the uninformed: ("Jugging" is when criminals wait as unsuspecting victims withdraw cash from an ATM, follow the victims to their destination and, in many cases, rob them at gunpoint.)

OP
OP
Units

Units

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Bighorn
Engine
6.7l Cummins
This has "Fueled" many debates over the years! (I JUST love a pun!)
Definitely not my intention to start something, just trying to get a feel for the operation of my truck, still learning about diesels. On the other hand, a healthy debate is a good thing. MANY different points of view in the world. I do however snarl when I see someone filling up their car with it running, looks like I’ll just play the devils advocate on this one and be the person I snarl at.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've never left any of my diesel trucks running while at the pump.
This is another one of those things from the past that people can't let go of. Like 3k oil changes, putting 2 stroke oil in your fuel, and the list goes on. This isn't 1970 anymore and what your grandpa did on the farm 30+ years ago is no longer valid with modern vehicles.

Hey, I had a 2 stroke 1971 3 cylinder T500R Suzuki Motorcycle back in the day. Had to put the "purple oil" in the oil tank that fed into fuel. For the life of me, cannot remember the name of the purple oil additive.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've never left any of my diesel trucks running while at the pump.
This is another one of those things from the past that people can't let go of. Like 3k oil changes, putting 2 stroke oil in your fuel, and the list goes on. This isn't 1970 anymore and what your grandpa did on the farm 30+ years ago is no longer valid with modern vehicles.

AWWW! Man! ;)

Fuel35 67

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I’ve fueled up a couple times while leaving my truck running. It’s diesel, so I wasn’t worried too much.

Anybody see the video of a guy fueling up his car and some thieves pull in to block his exit and he pulls out the nozzle and starts spraying them with gas?

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Heck, in a rare instance, like PPL who like to talk on phones and stuff while refueling, bad things can happen. It is actually a state law to turn off vehicles while refueling, but some do, some don't, except under certain circumstances (Texas Transportation Code - TRANSP § 647.011. Fuel Restrictions). That not bother me as much as the "clowns" smoking while refueling, especially when it gets really hot, and U can just see the "fumes" in the air. We even blew up an immersion heater one day being in a hurry to get lit and not taking proper precautions. Good way to burn yer eyebrows off, lol.

Saw a KC-135 (Strato tanker) being refueled on the parking ramp one day. The FMS person either failed to follow procedure or something came loose, ie., static line. Fuel tanks in belly caught fire and that plane burned to the concrete, with only outer parts of both wings and 2 engines surviving. Talk about a bonfire.
Darwin was correct! ;)

skidoorulz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Just shut it off. No reason in the world to leave it idle not even at -20. And at -20 if you are going to let it sit so long that you think it might not start, plug it in

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Just shut it off. No reason in the world to leave it idle not even at -20. And at -20 if you are going to let it sit so long that you think it might not start, plug it in
I think you may be suprised at how rare electic trees are up here. Plugging in is often not an option.

skidoorulz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I think you may be suprised at how rare electic trees are up here. Plugging in is often not an option.
I to go into areas that are remote. I leave mine setting in the mountains for days where there are no electric trees as I snowmobile into areas that have no vehicle access. I have never had mine not start even at below zero temps. I darn sure am not going to leave it idle for 2 or 3 days.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I to go into areas that are remote. I leave mine setting in the mountains for days where there are no electric trees as I snowmobile into areas that have no vehicle access. I have never had mine not start even at below zero temps. I darn sure am not going to leave it idle for 2 or 3 days.
If you have never had a problem then keep on the way you are. Here it can get to more than -50. One day, let alone 2 or 3 and your vehicle is REALLY unlikely to start. We put Wabco diesel or gas heaters in them so they don't need to be left running for 3 days solid.

Last edited:

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
If you have never had a problem then keep on the way you are. Here it can get to more than -50. One day, let alone 2 or 3 and your vehicle is REALLY unlikely to start. We put Wabco diesel or gas heaters in them so they don't need to be left running for 3 days solid.

I have not been in -50 but recall back in 1984 being in -38 in a small town in northern MT, boss had us wrap a tarp around the front of the cab over Freightliner & set the engine to run at 1100 RPM, we did that for 31/2 days :(, was very glad when they opened the roads to get the heck out of there and head south for warmer weather, never thought 20 degrees temp would feel so good, but it did..

ppine

Forester
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 liter diesel
shut er down. There is a reason there is a warning sign on every gas pump in America.
Diesel fuel is less explosive than gas but plenty dangerous. Ammonium nitrate and diesel fuel is a common explosive.
Diesels have no spark plugs, but it is still best to shut them down.
Ram cautions against long periods of idling.

OP
OP
Units

Units

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Bighorn
Engine
6.7l Cummins
I heeded your warning from Dec 10th. :driver:

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Now that depends on where you fuel up at...
That's true. When I'm fueling our diesel pusher, I tend to prefer the big trucks pumps. And there are no gas pumps nearby generally. But 99% of the time I'm getting diesel in my Ram, the pump I'm using serves both gas and diesel.