Leveling kit education

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joecoastie84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys,
Just joined the forum. I'm trying to learn a little bit more about leveling kits and thought some of you could probably help. I have a 2014 Ram 1500 2wd 5.7L Hemi, and I'm looking to put a 2" level on. I have been researching and found a few seemingly nice options. I have some questions though. One of the kits I'm looking at is a Supreme Suspension 2" kit with extended shocks. My question is, do I need extended shocks and will that affect my ride quality? I also am interested in CST's front leveling coils. They say to use stock length shocks. I like the idea of longer coils rather than adding more pieces ie. spacers, but will using longer coils and standard length shocks negatively affect the shocks and/or ride quality? If you guys could chime in on these and maybe make other suggestions it would be a big help.

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I can't say for since I have a 4wd, but I'm pretty sure your supposed to used factory length shocks regardless. Also a replacement coil is much better than a spacer. Also cst makes some good ****, that would be the route I would go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nclark112

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would suggest the bilstien 5100 adjustable shocks, that's what I used and it works great there's multiple settings most people pick 2.1 or 2.8 at 2.1 my truck sits with the bed slightly higher but its really only noticeable to me or someone who's really looking for it, I did this for when I have something in the bed the back isn't lower. With these the truck actually rides better than it did when I got it. Definitely check them out though quite a few guys here run them and there's a few threads you can check out!

OP
OP
J

Joecoastie84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would suggest the bilstien 5100 adjustable shocks, that's what I used and it works great there's multiple settings most people pick 2.1 or 2.8 at 2.1 my truck sits with the bed slightly higher but its really only noticeable to me or someone who's really looking for it, I did this for when I have something in the bed the back isn't lower. With these the truck actually rides better than it did when I got it. Definitely check them out though quite a few guys here run them and there's a few threads you can check out!
From everything I have read the 5100's are only for the 4x4 models. Mine is 2WD.

nclark112

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
From everything I have read the 5100's are only for the 4x4 models. Mine is 2WD.

Damn, would've helped if I retained that when I read it, that's what I get for reading and posting while on the phone at work! :roflsquared:

Ive seen a leveled 2wd thread on here as well. maybe see what some of those guys are using, sorry I couldn't be of any help man.

Ram Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
I have the CST lift coils. Let me learn you some edjumacation.....
They will definitely firm up your ride some but over the past few weeks they have softened up a little and broken in. I am using stock shocks for now; I haven't had a problem with them being topped out or over extended but I am looking into getting slightly longer ones (still up in the air on this though). HOWEVER, If you do go offroad and see any good bit of suspension flex, longer shocks are probably not a good idea for you as it can cause the upper control arm to make contact with the frame. EVERYONE says don't get longer shocks; I encourage you to do your research about this and come to your own conclusion based on your needs. I have read over 100 threads from all the different boards about this topic about the 2500 shocks that're 2" longer, shock extenders, and the bilstein 5100s from the chevy that's 1.5" longer and retorfitted for our trucks (these are not the same as the adjustable 5100s 4wds use).
From perfomancelifts.com, this is what they say about the 5100s, "Please note, this shock is approximately 1.5" inches longer in the extended length than the factory front shock and under certain circumstances at full suspension extension it may allow the factory upper control to make contact with the frame."
So depends, pavement princess and mall crawler or do you see any amount of suspension flex that would worry you?

For me, I didn't like the idea of a spacer. I had 2.5" daystars on my last truck and just wanted to try something new so I went with the coils. Looking back, knowing what I do now, I think a 1.5" or 2" spacer has a better chance of retaining a softer, more Cadillac ride. I have not compared them so this is just speculation.
My truck rides great right now and I dont have any complaints, it is just more firm and truck feeling.

You can see why the ride is more firm with the new coils vs stock...

242hqc5.jpg

OP
OP
J

Joecoastie84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Damn, would've helped if I retained that when I read it, that's what I get for reading and posting while on the phone at work! :roflsquared:

Ive seen a leveled 2wd thread on here as well. maybe see what some of those guys are using, sorry I couldn't be of any help man.
No problem, I appreciate the effort.

OP
OP
J

Joecoastie84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the CST lift coils. Let me learn you some edjumacation.....
They will definitely firm up your ride some but over the past few weeks they have softened up a little and broken in. I am using stock shocks for now; I haven't had a problem with them being topped out or over extended but I am looking into getting slightly longer ones (still up in the air on this though). HOWEVER, If you do go offroad and see any good bit of suspension flex, longer shocks are probably not a good idea for you as it can cause the upper control arm to make contact with the frame. EVERYONE says don't get longer shocks; I encourage you to do your research about this and come to your own conclusion based on your needs. I have read over 100 threads from all the different boards about this topic about the 2500 shocks that're 2" longer, shock extenders, and the bilstein 5100s from the chevy that's 1.5" longer and retorfitted for our trucks (these are not the same as the adjustable 5100s 4wds use).
From perfomancelifts.com, this is what they say about the 5100s, "Please note, this shock is approximately 1.5" inches longer in the extended length than the factory front shock and under certain circumstances at full suspension extension it may allow the factory upper control to make contact with the frame."
So depends, pavement princess and mall crawler or do you see any amount of suspension flex that would worry you?

For me, I didn't like the idea of a spacer. I had 2.5" daystars on my last truck and just wanted to try something new so I went with the coils. Looking back, knowing what I do now, I think a 1.5" or 2" spacer has a better chance of retaining a softer, more Cadillac ride. I have not compared them so this is just speculation.
My truck rides great right now and I dont have any complaints, it is just more firm and truck feeling.

You can see why the ride is more firm with the new coils vs stock...

242hqc5.jpg
Thanks for all the info. My truck is strictly ON road, so I don't think suspension flex will be an issue. If you aren't having any issues with stock shocks, I think the coils may be the direction I want to go. I just like the idea of fewer extra parts. Good looking truck btw.

Ram Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
Thanks for all the info. My truck is strictly ON road, so I don't think suspension flex will be an issue. If you aren't having any issues with stock shocks, I think the coils may be the direction I want to go. I just like the idea of fewer extra parts. Good looking truck btw.

Thanks, should look better with new tires here soon.

There's a good thread in the DIY section about a fella with the maxtrac coils and longer bilsteins. I would advise checking it out.

OP
OP
J

Joecoastie84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Okay so after doing some more reading, I see a lot of ppl saying to replace the UCA's if you level. Is this absolutely necessary with any leveling kit? Are a lot of ppl having problems with the UCA/ball joints after leveling?

Ram Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
Okay so after doing some more reading, I see a lot of ppl saying to replace the UCA's if you level. Is this absolutely necessary with any leveling kit? Are a lot of ppl having problems with the UCA/ball joints after leveling?

That pertains to 4wds

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
I used the 1.5 Daystar spacer, rides good, and retained factory shocks. It leveled it, and added 285/65/20's...no rubbing whatsoever.

Attachments

• 20160402_132036.jpg
    20160402_132036.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 67