Lift ideas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rsherer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
So, I bought some 35" tires and now need to lift the truck to put them on there, else they are a waste of money and will sit there for months. I would like to be able to drive with my new tires on there. What's my cheapest option to get them on my truck? It's default height for a 1997 Dodge RAM 1500 2WD. What is the minimum you think I'll need to raise the truck to avoid rubbing and other issues? I've heard everything from coil spacers can be used and all I need is 2" to be added to the body. Let me know if I need to clarify anything else.

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
Silly kids...tryin' to stuff 35's under a 2wd...

You'll probably need a true 3 inch lift and 3 inch body lift to get those 35's under your truck. Maybe. You won't want a positive offset rim. Probably a 16x8 with 4.5 or 5 inch backspacing. I would contact Fabtech for more info.

Fabtech recommends thier 6 inch 2wd lift for 35's but you have to run 17 inch rims to clear the spindles.

Sorry but those cheapy 2 wd spacer lifts on ebay aren't gonna get it done.

BlueBeast318

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
I ran 33's with a leveling kit and then lifted it 3 inches all the way around and was able to fit them. Though there was scrubbing it was very little.. mines also a 2wd

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
I can appreciate the minimal lift for clearence and low CG but scrubbing....thats for dishes, floors and walls. A good lift allows for clearance no matter what the suspension is doing, just like the factory setup.

adam1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v-8
not sure how big of a tire you can fit but bilstein 5100 adjustable shocks for under 200 bucks you can get them and you can lift the front up to almost 3 inches just shy of 3 again not to sure but might work :cheers:

BlueBeast318

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
I agree. You can lift it 4 inches all the way around and with the right rims it shouldnt scrub. I was running stock rims. If it's a 2WD I wouldnt suggest off-roading anyways. So the suspension travel shouldnt be much if he keeps it on the road.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
R

rsherer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies.

In response to the first replier, Okiespaniel, I understand why a lift on a 2WD truck and big tires seems like something for the younger crowd. My need isn't the same as most. I need a truck that can clear massive rocks that not only can kick up (I'll need a good skid plate as well), but can tear apart my oil pan. It would be nice to have a 4WD truck, don't get me wrong, but I don't need it right now as I'm not mudding or going off-road (the beach more specifically, though yes, in nature I am indeed going "off-road" as there are rocks).

For all others, I will look into the bilsteen shocks as really anything will help me clear my hurdle. From what I've gathered, a 4-6" lift will do what I need and help me ride ride over the rocks and avoid kick ups with a decent skid plate and well, going slow. :)

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
I have no issues with lifting a 2wd, it's yer truck son...do with it what you like as long as it's A. SAFE and B. LEGAL.
I found it ammusing that you bought your tires first, having no idea how to or if one could even lift a 2 wd that high. My daddy used to call it "putting the cart before the horse".

If you're driving through terrain that requires you to protect your pan and trans from "massive rocks" you probably won't make it with a 2wd. Your definition of massive may differ from mine.

Rock kicking is usually done by the front tires of a 4wd. The problem with 2wds in rocks is your large front tires then to act like plows rather than driving wheels, so if they drop into a hole one driving axle can't push 'em through. BTW the prefered method of attempting a rock climb in 2wd is pedal to the metal. Actuallu that's pretty much the method of driving anywhere off road in a 2wd. Inertia is everything!

Ok you probably didn't need the driving lesson. I'm sure you know what you're doing.

Bilstein shocks will not lift your truck at all. I run them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rsherer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
I appreciate the info and I agree with everything you said. I've also considered doing a 4WD conversion, though that's another story for another time. heh.