Lifter tick caused by going down hill

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joe Merchak

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
I have a 2022 2500 with the 6.4L and 8 SPeed trans. I live on a large hill and for the most of it I am not on the throttle but the trans keep it in a low gear. This makes the engine rev high when cold and causes my lifter to make all kinds of noise. I been lately putting the trans in N and that allows the engine to idle and is smooth and no noise. The engine has 55psi of oil pressure when its happening but I guess it not in the right areas when the rpm go high. Is there any way to stop the transmission from holding the gear and keep the revs so high. I dont need engine breaking, its not that steep. It does not sound good so I can imagine what kind of damage its doing. It does not happen once the engine is up to temp, only cold.

Jane S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2022 2500 with the 6.4L and 8 SPeed trans. I live on a large hill and for the most of it I am not on the throttle but the trans keep it in a low gear. This makes the engine rev high when cold and causes my lifter to make all kinds of noise. I been lately putting the trans in N and that allows the engine to idle and is smooth and no noise. The engine has 55psi of oil pressure when its happening but I guess it not in the right areas when the rpm go high. Is there any way to stop the transmission from holding the gear and keep the revs so high. I dont need engine breaking, its not that steep. It does not sound good so I can imagine what kind of damage its doing. It does not happen once the engine is up to temp, only cold.

That sounds more like manifold bolt issue then the Hemi Tick.

Read my post #44 in the above link for more info.

OP
OP
J

Joe Merchak

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
Yea i read all of them, I dont get a tick when started, I dont get a tick when I drive the road in front of my house thats flat. I only get it when going down hill, no throttle input and when the trans keep the motor over 2000 rpm. Remember, when its happening and I switch the trans to neutral, it immediately stops and the engine is smooth and no tick. I will record the sound the next time I go out with a cold motor.