Lifters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CoalMiner406

Reaction score
Ram Year
19 classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I have a 19 ram classic 1500 and I have lifter ticking. I went to get a quote to replace them and the guy told me it’s just a Band-Aid and suggest replacing the whole motor because they’ll be metal in the bearings. Anyone have any experience with this???

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Seems like when you're still under warranty they'll tell you it's fine to just replace the lifters and cam, but after the warranty has expired they'll tell you you need a new engine LOL. Sure, it's possible you could get away with just the cam/lifters. It's also possible that metal shavings have damaged things. The only real way to know is to tear the engine down.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I have a 19 ram classic 1500 and I have lifter ticking. I went to get a quote to replace them and the guy told me it’s just a Band-Aid and suggest replacing the whole motor because they’ll be metal in the bearings. Anyone have any experience with this???
If its under 180k miles Go for it Just do the cam and lifters I have done Tons of cam swaps no need for a whole new engine none of the swaps I have done failed some are way over 200k miles now. Of course you will see some metal so what??. You just need to flush things out and change the oil twice after the job is done. Also you should upload a vid of it ticking so we can verify its actually a lifter and not the exhaust any missfire?.

OP
OP
C

CoalMiner406

Reaction score
Ram Year
19 classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If its under 180k miles Go for it Just do the cam and lifters I have done Tons of cam swaps no need for a whole new engine none of the swaps I have done failed some are way over 200k miles now. Of course you will see some metal so what??. You just need to flush things out and change the oil twice after the job is done. Also you should upload a vid of it ticking so we can verify its actually a lifter and not the exhaust any missfire?.

It seems it will only let me upload a pic not a video?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Honestly, if there is no misfire code how did anyone say as a matter of fact that is a lifter? It certainly isnt garden variety lifter tick. Much more severe if that is a lifter. I rarely do this, but I'm taking the side if the engine replacement being the prudent way forward. Did you price both options? Have you checked all of the exhaust mani bolts? Just rule that out first imo, but that doesnt sound good at all. Check oil control valve and change the oil and look for metal in oil and filter.

Daniel from Texas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did my 2014 with 192k in Aug and no metal in the pan. Don't listen to anyone telling you that you need a engine replacement. Drop the oil pan first, check for metal. I took the time to replace everything that could go wrong, i.e. oil pump, water pump. I also had the heads miller and springs replaced. My truck took two day of work minus waiting on the heads.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Honestly, if there is no misfire code how did anyone say as a matter of fact that is a lifter? It certainly isnt garden variety lifter tick. Much more severe if that is a lifter. I rarely do this, but I'm taking the side if the engine replacement being the prudent way forward. Did you price both options? Have you checked all of the exhaust mani bolts? Just rule that out first imo, but that doesnt sound good at all. Check oil control valve and change the oil and look for metal in oil and filter.
It sounds exactly like my truck when the roller snapped off of the lifter their must of been a tap for a very long time he just never noticed and then boom.

Like mentioned above for sure replace the oil pump while your in there forgot to mention that as far as hte heads go it depends on how many miles on your truck.

Hagar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the lifter tick as well although it gets a lot quieter once it warms up. I run a magnetic drain plug and cut every filter with a proper filter cutter, no metal but those lifters sound like a hammer mill!
I'm going to pull it down here at home, pull the pan, and then do the cam and lifters. But ...... along the way I'll be flushing all the oil galleries.

OP
OP
C

CoalMiner406

Reaction score
Ram Year
19 classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Let me know if that works
alot of people are so paranoid theyre convinced every little noise is the lifter

Yep thats correct you have failed lifter the roller already broke off of the lifter so in that case stop running it also how many miles on the truck?
There is 125k miles on the truck

Black1500Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My lifter sounded kinda like this. The roller pin on one of the lifters was protruding just enough that it was tapping the block and prevented me from pulling the lifter up and out…
Had to magnet it out through the cam hole.
There’s a vid in my thread and pics.

Edit*
Link to thread; pics / vid

Vid of stuck lifter is #270

Happened at 117k I’m at 135k now, been singing along like a sewing machine ever since.

Last edited:

aepowell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My cam and lifters in my 2013 hemi went out at 143,000. It sounded just like your video. I took it in thinking the exhaust bolts were broken again. It never threw any codes. I caught it just in time to save the motor. They had the truck for 1 month. I had the lifetime warranty so it just cost me 100.00. If the motor has been bad it would have cost 15,000.00. They pull the plenum to see if there is any metal in the oil control valve under there if its clean they can just do a cam job. If I had needed a motor they would have bought the truck for market value and canceled the warranty. I was lucky now i still have full coverage until the value of the repair is more than the value of the truck. A week after the cam job the heater core stopped up. Another 100.00 and I was on the road again. The lifetime warranty was the best purchase I ever made. I paid 2,200.00 for it.

Hagar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I pulled my spare engine apart and was surprised that the rods and mains bearings were like new. The Camshaft had a lobe completely wiped off it. If the oil and filter are changed regularly, there will likely not be any bearing damage. Matter of fact, if it wasn't for the "bearing crush" being upset, I'd use them again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357