Logs vs Shorty's - apples to apples comparison

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlueMeanies

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 QCSB RWD
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I found a new-old stock Edlebrock 65792 shorty set. This is a Gen 3 ceramic coated header for RWD 1500 5.7. 50 state legal. $250 shipped. At that price I figured what do I have to lose. Put them on this weekend and wanted to give a FWIW before and after review.

The truck has a SC 91 tune both before and after. I cleared the PCM, logged about 30 miles.

Sound: With the stock cat back, no different at idle. I can hear a bit more snarl during acceleration, but the same as stock at cruise.

MPG: Seems to have gained a 1~2 boost both city and hwy. If I put my foot in it the MPG seems better than with the logs. Go figure. I would imagine this will improve as I drive it more and the computer dials in.

Performance: Almost too negligible to tell, but as expected I lost a tiny bit of low end torque. As RPM's build I can definitely feel a mid to high end boost. Not huge but it IS there. The truck feels much more aggressive over all.

So in conclusion IMHO, the shorty's are not LT's, but are a big improvement over the logs. Legal in Calif. They will be staying.
I'm hoping that when the 260 XFI cam goes in that the low end will fill back in and the mileage will stay the same or improve. I'll post another apples to apples at that time.

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I agree 100% ^^^ Cool write up man, thanks!

If it wasn't for Cali smog, I would have done LTs. But JBA shorties are smog certified, and shorties are definitely better than stock. :)

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Good job...