Looking for suggestions - how to test your OEM paint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DanR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi guys,

Well, I am still in limbo and fighting with dodge and my dealer regarding my excessively chipping paint job. So at this point, I am researching how to properly test a vehicle's paint quality - not just in terms of thickness but also if the factory paint has been cured properly, has the required hardness etc. Just to recap, I am the owner of a new Dodge Ram 1500 in the limited edition color of ignition orange and with only 5000 miles and 4 months of ownership and driving under normal city conditions, my rocker panels and lower doors are getting chipped like crazy, as in hundreds of small chips in the clear and paint itself. I am also getting chips on upper areas that are not normal, like on the upper doors, door handle, and even right near the base of the vehicle's antenna, which would be almost impossible to get a rock hit. The dealership and dodge corporate are refusing my claims and just won't deal with me. The next step is that I have to provide evidence that the OEM paint application is defective. I have no idea how this could be done and wondering what tools/services exist that could be used to identify and prove such a problem exists. I know that measuring the paint thickness is one step, but I'm wondering what could be done to prove that the application process itself resulted in poor adhesion or caused a durability issue where the paint is chipping much too easily. Anyone have any ideas where to go? I will be going to see one of the biggest automotive bodyshops in the city tomorrow to see what they can do, but not sure they can test what I am looking for.

So frustrating...

Dan

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Bummer, sorry for your troubles on one of the best colors out there.

They have ways to measure paint, any high end detailer will have a gauge that tells them how much paint can be polished so they don't burn through the clear. But sadly, I don't think this will help. If it is chips that is your problem, then I believe sadly it would be your problem. If it is flaking below the paint, then I'd think you would have something. I don't know how severe it is, but you might want to look into 3m protective film so it doesn't get worse.

Some clears are hard, thus giving rock chips easier way to break though, some are soft thus making swirling easier when washing. Seams like you have a hard clear. Some bmw's are notorious for rock chips, but you can't get the paint to swirl of you try.

Last edited: