losing control

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

unclemark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi, 4.7
Big difference between single axle trailer and tandem. A tandem axle trailer will tow so much better, it just tracks so much better.

ArticRubi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
^^^ This.

Single axle trailers tend to "seesaw" with the axle as the fulcrum, which will constantly load and unload your tongue weight. This can increase dramatically if your tongue weight is not distributed properly. MOST boat mfg's design the trailer that when the boat is loaded, the tongue weight proportions are quite close to correct...however, if your hitch is either too high or too low, it will throw off your weight distribution. Here's a good rule of thumb in selecting the proper drop for your hitch:

With your trailer unhooked, use the jack and raise/lower the trailer until the frame rails are level. Measure from the ground to the top of the trailer tongue at the ball socket.
Now measure the height of the ball on your hitch. Ideally, you'll want this measurement to be about 2" higher than your trailer tongue to account for squat once you load the ball.

As far as the sway bar comments....don't bother. Your 4th gen Ram has a 5-link rear suspension: 2 lower control arms, 2 upper control arms, and a track bar. It already comes equipped with a sway bar. At a 3500 pound trailer, I wouldn't bother with a weight distributing hitch (trailer sway bars,) it's just not enough weight to justify it. Installing some air springs in the rear will definitely help also, but again, at 3,500 pounds, really shouldn't need it, you're at less than half the tow rating of your truck.

As the other guys said, slow it down a bit on the back roads, I have no problem towing a 7,000 pound+ trailer at 80 mph on the highway, but I stick to the speed limits on the curvy stuff.

Last edited:
OP
OP
justin443

justin443

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 RAM 1500 Sport 2wd
Engine
Hemi 5.7
no, i have towed plenty of times, i do admit i go a little quick, but it's only this truck that the steering wobbles over bumps. i guess i am just not used to the ram i have always been a GM guy. it doesnt sag much, its a ski boat nothing big and fancy so i know i am not over weight. the truck pulls the boat beautifully but i guess i should just slow it down over the bumps, also maybe when i lift it a little that might help instead of that drop kit.

OP
OP
justin443

justin443

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 RAM 1500 Sport 2wd
Engine
Hemi 5.7
and i have a raised hitch to compensate for the drop.

hounddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 laramie 2500 credit cab 4x4 cummins
Engine
6.7 Cummins

Of course, never exceed GVWR or GCWR.

Following rules is for babies, and those numbers are just randomly picked by the execs and mean literally nothing.

Throw as much weight as you can on that puppy and floor it, only good things can happen!

:grd:

Seriously, though, you are going too fast if you have reached a point where your vehicle becomes unstable. Slow down, take your time and you and your rig will both be much happier.

DHDB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Move the boat back (2-3") on the trailer. You have too much tongue weight which is causing the "light front end" and "porposing" (up and down motion).