low pad idicator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigtigga84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Know that real annoying and embarrassing squeal when your brake pads are low? How the hell do you get it to stop?! I took the pads off a couple weeks ago, there is plenty of meat left on them, but I couldn't figure out where the "change me *******" indicators were. I don't need or want to spend 60 bucks on new pads cuz they arent worn down, just need to know what makes em squeal so I can fix it lol.

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
i don't see them on anything much anymore. Must have been an older car thing. Nice to have it though

adamwilkes14

Reaction score
Yeah, there used to be a tab on the clips that would slide across the rotor as the braked were applied...however, some pople would ignore it and let the pad wear down to the rivets on the baking plate and let it eat into their rotors...which is very common in drum brakes....

sometimes the squealing can be cause by two other different things though...

1) excessive brake dust build up, solution, clean the brakes...if it becomes a BIG problem, might wanna change the brake pads to a ceramic pad rather than using a non metallic pad...

2) the backing plate of the pad itself, vibrating up against the caliper piston when you apply the brakes...you can get some anti squeel grease and apply it to the backing plate to help eliminate it...

OP
OP
bigtigga84

bigtigga84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I already took em apart and cleaned em...... dang it. I dunno how anybody could ignore that. Camaro I had had the indicators on it when I got it and omg, I couldn't get them ******* changed fast enough

drkmtr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Found this thread in the search, do you still have the problem? Mine are doing the same dang thing. They squeel just before I come to a stop, no grinding, pads still have life left in them. I cleaned them and it went away for about a week and came right back. Had a buddy of mine with a SRT-10 and his did it all the time, even with new pads. If I have to I'll just deal with it and keep an eye on the pad thickness, just wondering if there was a solution that you found.

OP
OP
bigtigga84

bigtigga84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They still do it sometimes. its the pad vibrating when the brakes are applied. i bought the grease **** last summer and put it on there and that stopped it immediately....... for a week. it hasn't been too bad this year though. the stuff i ended up with was kinda like lock tight, blue sticky **** that locked the pad to the caliper..... for about a week lol. maybe it did its job cuz i haven't noticed it for a while

Hurley91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Are they cheap pads? Are cheap pads (Jaspers) and we call the squeekers. The cheap pads tend to squeek.

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
They are glazed over.

Sent from my tapatalk equipped AT&T iPhone 5