Magnum rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aldy8417

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi guys! I just joined this forum. I have a 2000 ram 1500 Laramie. It comes with the 5.9 magnum. The owner before me bored the motor to a 6.3. I bought it with 220,000, and is currently at 235,000. I plan on taking it off the road and doing work to it, including a whole rebuild. It worked good, but did not have as much power as it should have for a 6.3. Now everything on the motor was stock, the only thing the owner did was bore the cylinders bigger, as far as I know. This will be my first rebuild though, so I will just get straight to the point; what can I do to improve the performance of this motor internally? I wanted to buy a cam and put a cold air intake let’s say, but what else can I think about looking at to do to this moor. And should I buy a new top end? Should I maybe just revert it back to a 5.9? I like the idea of the 6.3, I actually liked it. I just would like some advise from someone who better understands the magnum then I do. If you can help me out, I would appreciate it

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
How do you know how much power it should have? Perhaps the gearing is wrong for the size tires on the truck.
It's not possible to just "revert it back" to a 5.9 unless you have the cylinders sleeved. Once the cylinders have been bored they can never be made smaller.
Sorry if I sound like an ****** but I sometimes wonder why somebody who has no clue would even attempt to rebuild an engine. :insane:

Last edited:

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Make it a stroker if you are going to go through the trouble of doing a rebuild for power. Is it tuned for the displacement? What gears and tires. How’s the catalytic converter. Check compression on all cylinders? How long ago did they bore it over

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk